English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 23 August 2001, 07:45   #21
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
Originally posted by Amigaboy
I never said WHDLoad wasn't good. Hey, I love it. But I've always preferred JST. Most of the JST installs were made to work perfectly on a 2mb chip machine (I have an 18mb machine now, but that's not the point) which I used to use frequently a while back.

With WHDLoad installs, the requirements usually require at least some fast ram
That is total pish - it depends on the game in question ONLY, nothing to do with JST or WHDLoad. No games actually require fast memory, they just need approximately double whatever the original game needs (so it can save the current contents of memory and restore it when you quit) - be it fast or chip memory, doesn't matter.

The memory management in WHDLoad is actually a lot better than JST due to the way it allocates chip memory. You can run a lot more 1Mb games in the same fragmented memory on a 1200 using WHDLoad install than a JST one.

WHDLoad rules forever!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 23 August 2001, 10:31   #22
Amigaboy

Quote:
Originally posted by Codetapper

That is total pish - it depends on the game in question ONLY, nothing to do with JST or WHDLoad. No games actually require fast memory, they just need approximately double whatever the original game needs (so it can save the current contents of memory and restore it when you quit) - be it fast or chip memory, doesn't matter.

The memory management in WHDLoad is actually a lot better than JST due to the way it allocates chip memory. You can run a lot more 1Mb games in the same fragmented memory on a 1200 using WHDLoad install than a JST one.

WHDLoad rules forever!
You must realise that the last time I used any types of installs was at least 3 years ago. Back then, JST installers were the main types of installs that worked on my 2mb A600.

I haven't been keeping up with WHDLoad as of late so I have no idea how it progressed. But, I have no real need. I rarely play games anymore.

Old 23 August 2001, 20:32   #23
RetroMan

OkOKOKOKOKOKKKKKKKKKKK

For all that are interested, I uploaded my script along with ALL files you need to mount virtual disks and HDs...... so go and check the ZONE !!!!!

Be sure to read the README.TXT before start messing around (btw. my script only covers the deal with the ADF disk files, but if you look at the script, its not very hard to build HFx into it)

gimme feedback if ya like it

RetroMan
Old 23 August 2001, 23:06   #24
freedom4u

Thanks Retroman, your script really looks interesting.

*g*
more questions:
Adf2fms just seems to write the adf-images to the virtual drives.
I guess I could also assign DF0: to FF0: and then use adf2disk to do the exact same job ? (I never executed adf2fms nor any of the other programs, so I've no further idea what else it does)

What about the HDF-images. Whats the procedure for mounting them ? I thought adf2fms uses the fmsdisk.device .How does that handle HDFs ?

Thanks guys

Old 24 August 2001, 02:56   #25
Codetapper

Arrow Forget ADF2FMS

I'm not sure why people want to use ADF2FMS for anything other than it's only use - it does only ONE job of ADF to FMSDisk.device transfers (which it does very well and was written in Asm by Legionary/Action!).

Rather than fannying about (to quote Inspector Grim from The Thin Blue Line) with assigns, may I suggest Diskwiz? It reads/writes from any file/device/archive to any device/adf.

Example usage is simply Diskwiz [input device/file] [output device]

Diskwiz MarzAttakz3TheRevenge.dms ff0:
Diskwiz MarzAttakz4KilledInAction.adf df0:
Diskwiz MarzAttakz5ReturnOfTheLeech.zip ff9:
Diskwiz MarzAttakz6OhNoMoreMarz.zip df3:
Diskwiz ff0: MarzAttakz7FootInTheMouth.adf
Diskwiz df0: MarzAttakz8ForGodsSakeEnoughAlready.adf

etc... When I get some more time I will also allow it to extract files from the disk image and write to zip/adz formats (not dms though). The other feature I intend to do later is to make up a PC version since it's written in C anyway.

Grab it from the Action site under utilities or on Back to the Roots
Old 24 August 2001, 07:08   #26
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I was tempted to request originals of those games (or pre-installed WHD versions), but I was sure it would get taken the wrong way. Yes I am a smart-ass and I hate letting a perfectly good flogging get past me. And anyhow, I thought up the response first...if I don't use it now, some loser like fred will come along and steal my glory.

PS: Sorry, but I don't even have it in me to add a disclaimer. Eat a peach...
Old 24 August 2001, 08:20   #27
RetroMan

Re: Forget ADF2FMS

Quote:
I'm not sure why people want to use ADF2FMS for anything other than it's only use - it does only ONE job of ADF to FMSDisk.device transfers (which it does very well and was written in Asm by Legionary/Action!).

Example usage is simply Diskwiz [input device/file] [output device]

Diskwiz MarzAttakz3TheRevenge.dms ff0:
Diskwiz MarzAttakz4KilledInAction.adf df0:
Diskwiz MarzAttakz5ReturnOfTheLeech.zip ff9:
Diskwiz MarzAttakz6OhNoMoreMarz.zip df3:
Diskwiz ff0: MarzAttakz7FootInTheMouth.adf
Diskwiz df0: MarzAttakz8ForGodsSakeEnoughAlready.adf
[/URL]
Ok, I gotta quote on that one for sure First of all, ADF2FMS allows to mount 6 ADFs and 6 HDFs to be written to the fmsdisk.device not ONE.....

Also ADF2FMS has a nice little gui which allows the user to klick on an ADF they want to mount and thats it ...... I think ADF2FMS is kewl, I have put all my adfs to CDROM on my PC and mounting them into RAM: on the Amiga Side, works pretty kewl and you never have to install a game on HD (ah well, some of them you HAVE to install, else they are not working) ....

RetroMan
Old 24 August 2001, 10:44   #28
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Cool DiskWiz

I prefer DiskWiz myself, coupled with DOpus, FMS, a hard disk and a load of ADFs on CDs.
Old 24 August 2001, 14:21   #29
Codetapper

Post Re: Re: Forget ADF2FMS

Quote:
Originally posted by RetroMan

Ok, I gotta quote on that one for sure First of all, ADF2FMS allows to mount 6 ADFs and 6 HDFs to be written to the fmsdisk.device not ONE.....

RetroMan
If you re-read my post I didn't say it can only do one device, I said it can do ONE job - ADF transferred to FMS. I was implying that since 99.9% of archives on the net are DMS, ZIP and ADZ's that the tool is fairly limited unless you manually unpack all your stuff to ADF's first.

As for the GUI, why would you even use it? In my startup sequence I can do this:

assign fms: t: (or wherever you keep these)
mount ff0: defer
mount ff1: defer
mount ff2: defer
mount ff3: defer
mount ff4: defer
mount ff5: defer
mount ff6: defer
mount ff7: defer
mount ff8: defer
mount ff9: defer
mount ff10: defer
mount ff11: defer

That way you are not wasting ANY memory until you actually use the device in question (it only occupies about 4k of RAM in an un-used form) and you are not limited to however many devices the coder thought you might need... Monkey Island 2 and Indy 4 will run fine with my method and not a GUI required at any stage

As for HDF's, yawn - I don't know why anybody would bother with them unless you specifically need the protection bits set for something (can't for the life of me think of why offhand).
Old 24 August 2001, 18:23   #30
Akira

Alright, I don't get the purpose of ADF2FMS or similar. Just rename the bloody file.ADF as unit0 and put it in the dir you are using for FMS!

Simple
Old 24 August 2001, 22:54   #31
MethodGit

Quote:
2. If a game uses disk images and you have an ADF, it is 99% of the time safe to just cancel the script at that point where it wants to image the disk and rename your ADF to Disk.1, Disk.2 etc. Forget transferring to ff0: or df0: etc. The only time this might fail is if the script copies something after the imaging which is NOT recommended anyway. (The other side effect is you have an adf which is 901120 bytes and the game might optimise it a little by slicing off the end if it's just padded with garbage).
Yeah, this is what I usually do with ADF-size-disk-image-utilising patchers. And a lot of the time it seems to work. However, I'm not sure about that optimising bit, since I remember using an 880k image for Bored Seal's Xenon patch, and it ran, but it never changed the size of the disk automatically from what I recall.
Old 24 August 2001, 22:56   #32
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
I didn't like FMS because I couldn't run NDOS games from it.
Yes, I was rather annoyed because I couldn't really find a way to make it run NDOS games (like they were on HD) on that thing either. No single file for the system to load up, you see. I don't think the "Reboot" command would have worked with it, would it?
Old 25 August 2001, 04:32   #33
Akira

No man, no.

I tried to run its bootblock and all, but most bootblock runners would only talk directly to the trackdisk.device.. oh well, whatever
Old 25 August 2001, 17:01   #34
MethodGit

Well, maybe if you tried renaming "fmsdisk.device" to "trackdisk.device", then perhaps.....?

Or am I talking utter gubbins here?
Old 25 August 2001, 20:31   #35
freedom4u

Thanks for all your posts concerning virtual disks

But I lost track and I'm really confuzed now.

@Codetapper or any other wise man
What does the "assign fms: somedrawer" line do?
I believe that the fmsdisk.device needs it, but please explain a little further.
What are all those "mount ff0: defer lines" trying to tell my brain?
I'm sorry for asking so much, but the fmsdisk.device docs aren't all that helpful.

Thanks

Old 25 August 2001, 21:38   #36
Codetapper

Post FMS hopefully explained a bit more

assign fms: t:

This line simply tells your Amiga where you are storing the disk images. Each device like ff0: makes up a file called Unit0 (ff1: = Unit1, ff2: = Unit2...) which is stored somewhere. I store mine in T: (part of Ram) so if it crashes while writing to it, I don't invalidate my HD. If you have tonnes of memory and use it just to transfer images, it's a good idea. Otherwise assign it to your HD somewhere like: assign fms: games:

If you want it to be permanent so it remembers what you had it in last time (eg. you unpack 11 monkey island disks to it and fms: is pointing to your games: partition) then you will have 11 disk icons on your workbench, one for each game all the time.

mount ff0: defer

If you mount ff0:, then FF0: becomes active immediately even if you don't USE ff0: while you amiga is powered up. If you defer it, memory for the disk image isn't created at that point but it is added to the amiga's list of devices so when you use it (eg. Diskwiz Phobia.dms ff0: ) then ff0: will exist in the system as a proper device and it will unpack to it.
Old 26 August 2001, 00:09   #37
freedom4u

Thanks Codetapper. Now I got it.

But ... since you brought it up ...
Quote:
I store mine in T: (part of Ram) so if it crashes while writing to it, I don't invalidate my HD.
This happens to me all the time and I've no clue how to fix it.
The Harddisk spins all the time and I keep getting "Drive not valid"
errors, while the whole system is slowed down.
Any idea how to deal with that besides formating my harddrive ?

Thanks a lot.

P.S.: Your second latest post made it seem like you could easily have 11 to YYY virtual floppies. Is that correct ?

Old 26 August 2001, 01:33   #38
Codetapper

Your HD will revalidate itself when it becomes corrupt - unless it has a serious error in which case you need a repairing tool like Quarterback Tools (make a copy NOW onto FLOPPY for when your HD totally dies, it WILL happen one day).

Yes you can have as many virtual floppies as you like, but unless you know what you are doing you should only use them to play fully O/S games (monkey island etc) or for transferring disk images.

Getting a game with dos files on and expecting it to run in ffx: is unlikely to work as the majority of games assume the game is on df0: and uses a MFM loader to read the files. Hence when they don't find the disk, they generally crash and you need to reboot. Having FMS: in ram helps this obviously as your HD won't be read when the game legally tries to read from the device.
Old 26 August 2001, 01:44   #39
Amigaboy

Freedom4U - A HD becomes unvalidated when you reboot/turn off/freeze your machine while the HD is being written to. Try to avoid it if you can.

When the HD is being read from, it's alright (but should still be avoided)

Old 26 August 2001, 02:51   #40
freedom4u

Quote:
Your HD will revalidate itself when it becomes corrupt
I just wonna know, how long I'll have to wait for it to do so ...
The first time it happened to me, one of my three partitions was invalid, and the harddisk was spinning and seeking all the time when I accessed it. When trying to get any info on the drive I received that "Dive invalid error". Bootup time was increased as a lot of time got wasted "seeking" for the invalid partition eventhough one could still retrieve data from it... it was a mess though.

A couple days later everything was ok again, without me doing anything
Now it got invalid again (different partition) and I'm ancious to see how long it will take this time, but I will propably have to format it
As for Quarterbacktools, I only got some old version, but I believe the newest one to be 5.something.

@Amigaboy: You mean I don't have to wait until all three status lights are on, when I want to turn it off ???
Big thanks to all of you for having supplied me with so much info

AdSense AdSense