English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 October 2003, 15:30   #1
Frootloop

Stunt Car Racer remake in jeopardy?

I just saw this news item on Voodoo Extreme. Apparently the game development house, Lost Toys, who were working with Geoff Crammond to remake Stunt Car Racer for the PeeCee, has closed. The team consisted of ex-members of Bullfrog and Electronic Arts. Hopefully Mr. Crammond will find a new home for his game, this was one title I was looking forward to seeing.

Source: Voodoo Extreme
AdSense AdSense  
Old 03 October 2003, 17:12   #2
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Unhappy

A pity to see another developer bite the dust-seems to be rampant in the UK at the moment, how could such a breeding ground of innovation years ago be going through such a slump?

Still, I'd doubt that the Stunt Car Racer remake will remain dormant for long, it's a remake of a classic title & its 3D, there's no chance a publisher wouldn't be keen about those prospects. Just hope Geoff Crammond retained I.P. rights to it.
Old 04 October 2003, 21:32   #3
kolorabi

Really bad news, I was looking forward to seeing one of my all-time favourite Amiga games remade.

However, an update on the article says that the company still exists, and that their latest (last?) game, Battle Engine Aquila will be released for PC, at least in North America (by Encore, at the end of this month). Hopefully, that could help their financial situation a bit.. though ofcourse a worldwide release would be ideal.
Old 04 October 2003, 23:43   #4
Mache

damn

i was so happy to see another stunt car racer...
Old 05 October 2003, 00:51   #5
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
oh

I thought Encore went pop ages ago ??

my all time fav game `Faery Tale Adventure` had a follow up, released by Encore, which I later found out to have folded soon after the release ?
Old 05 October 2003, 12:43   #6
kolorabi

Here's the corporate blurb from Encore's website. As it was founded in '94, I doubt it's the same company, though.

A Leading Software Publisher
Encore is a leading interactive publisher in the videogame and PC CD-ROM markets. The company recently began shipping Phantom Crash?, a 3D mech game, and upcoming releases include such highly anticipated console games as Dragon?s Lair 3D? and Daredevil?. Encore also offers a broad range of PC titles under internationally recognized brands such as Sesame Street?, Dragon Tales? and National GeographicŪ. Encore products are sold in over 35,000 stores nationwide, and in major international markets.

In August 2002, Encore became a majority-owned subsidiary of Navarre Corporation (NASDAQ: NAVR), a Minneapolis MN-based distributor of a broad range of home entertainment and multimedia software products. Encore continues to operate as an independent publishing entity, headquartered in Los Angeles, California. Encore was co-founded in 1994 by Michael Bell, who continues as the company?s CEO.
Old 08 October 2003, 14:36   #7
kolorabi

Heh, I just received a press release about this: http://www.trackmaniagame.com/

It looks pretty awesome, and it might be of interest to fans of Stunt Car Racer (though the concept is radically different - perhaps more like Racing Construction Set). At any rate, it looks like an innovative title that I'm definitely going to have a closer look at when the demo is released.
Old 20 October 2003, 21:13   #8
Frootloop

Thanks for the info on Trackmania! They're releasing trial beta version on Oct 22nd which will be good until the game's release late in November. You just have to sign up (see news page) and they'll send you a link to the demo file on the 22nd.

Edit: Here's the direct link to the sign-up page: click me now.
AdSense AdSense