English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 February 2023, 07:28   #321
Jimiga

Thanks for your replies.
@Torti-the-Smurf, I think as the CD32 version is an .iso file, I won't be able to launch that on Mister as it doesn't yet have .iso or CD32 support.

I'm running on MiSTer FPGA latest minimig core - I'm not too sure what MIST supports.

Really appreciate the info and replies, sounds like something I can now take to the MiSTer forums to mull over there!

Thank you for your continued efforts!
Old 09 February 2023, 08:25   #322
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimiga View Post
Further to my last message, I've tested with D-Cache OFF, the scrolling issue is still there.

Curiously, in the mid-stage first shoot'em up level (2 of 3), the scrolling is perfect. Parts 1 and 3 show the issue.

One other issue I've noticed is that the status bar at the bottom of the screen seems shifted over about 10px or so, cropping off the right hand side near the score/ power bar.

Game area does not exhibit this, though upon loading the square blocks are also shifted to the right on all but the first load, cropping the last row in half vertically. Image attached.
I too can confirm that V1.1 on Mister FPGA does have some problems unfortunately.

1. bottom of the screen seems shifted over about 10px or so, cropping off the I too can confirm right hand side near the score/ power bar. (Throughout the whole game)

2. the first SHMUP level produce horrible gfx flicker and gfx glitching.

I do not recall ealier builds having this issue? but I may be wrong there not 100% sure..

I have tried many different Mister Config options which made no difference whatsoever..

1. D-Cache on or off
2. Change Kickstart from 3.1 to 3.0
3. Change Fast ram from 8MB to 4MB
4. Fast-IDE (68020) on and off

Game works fine with Winuae, but it seems replicating the A1200 Quickstart with Mister FPGA has its own problems..

Lets not get the Mist confused with the DE Nano 10 Mister FPGA too by the way

If you need me to do further in depth tests with other builds or other version, let me know
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230209_180745_Gallery_resized.png
Views:	106
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	78063   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230209_180528_resized.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	78064  

Last edited by ransom1122; 09 February 2023 at 09:29.
Old 09 February 2023, 09:22   #323
roondar

Personally I'd say that all these FPGA based issues shouldn't be reported here, but rather to the teams maintaining those cores - they're clearly bugs in the FPGA cores and not in the game itself.
Old 09 February 2023, 09:24   #324
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Personally I'd say that all these FPGA based issues shouldn't be reported here, but rather to the teams maintaining those cores - they're clearly bugs in the FPGA cores and not in the game itself.
I agree, It's more a FYI for Muzza, in case he has some expert knowledge as to why it may be occuring.
Old 09 February 2023, 09:32   #325
DanyPPC

On MiST (minimig) there is an option for TURBO (kick / mem).
Have you tried one or both option ?

Usually the TURBO function is useful for AGA games, but it has to be disabled for OCS/ECS games.
Anyway this option can alter the game.
Old 09 February 2023, 09:51   #326
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyPPC View Post
On MiST (minimig) there is an option for TURBO (kick / mem).
Have you tried one or both option ?

Usually the TURBO function is useful for AGA games, but it has to be disabled for OCS/ECS games.
Anyway this option can alter the game.
The problem lies with Mister FPGA not Mist. Turbo only exists for IDE, not for Kickrom. so no turbo function on mister fpga makes it work
Old 09 February 2023, 11:54   #327
Torti-the-Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post

Lets not get the Mist confused with the DE Nano 10 Mister FPGA too by the way

Hi Ransom

It was worth a try. There roots is the minimig core.

Some glitches are exactly the same on both, thats why i thought Jimiga should give it a try.
Sadly, i didn´t work.

But now we know
Old 09 February 2023, 12:12   #328
CCRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
This.
Old 09 February 2023, 12:15   #329
nikosidis

It is a nightmare itself with all the original Amiga hardware. When adding all the other solutions, emulation, fpga it becomes a terrible nightmare Maybe that should be the name of the next Amiga accelerator :P
Old 09 February 2023, 14:13   #330
Djay
95th User

Wow, what an amazing overhaul of one of my favourite games... thank you so much.

Really love all the extras, especially the enhanced control options!

I've been speedrunning and highscore chasing on the original Turrican, so this AGA upgrade gives me the incentive to explore Turrican II again.

One minor request:-

when you are using lightning whilst stopped, can button 2's jump pull you back into fire whilst running (without having to release fire) obviously making you jump at the same time. I would probably reserve it for button jump only and not up to jump, as this would probably lead to accidently leaving lightning.

i hope that makes sense,lol

anyway, if "they" ever make Turrican 4 they need to get you to help out! Great work
Old 09 February 2023, 21:08   #331
Torti-the-Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimiga View Post
Thanks for your replies.
@Torti-the-Smurf, I think as the CD32 version is an .iso file, I won't be able to launch that on Mister as it doesn't yet have .iso or CD32 support.

I'm running on MiSTer FPGA latest minimig core - I'm not too sure what MIST supports.

Really appreciate the info and replies, sounds like something I can now take to the MiSTer forums to mull over there!

Thank you for your continued efforts!

Yup, but on that iso there is one file called, AmigaGame.exe.
Get that file on the MISTer/WB or Cli and try it.
Or you can wait for the upcomming Dos version.

Both working flawless on MIST. Maybe on MISTer too. (Hopefully)
Old 09 February 2023, 22:59   #332
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
It is a nightmare itself with all the original Amiga hardware. When adding all the other solutions, emulation, fpga it becomes a terrible nightmare Maybe that should be the name of the next Amiga accelerator :P
I wrote a longer reply before I had my morning caffeine that was perhaps too negative, but lets just say that the Amiga can give Android a run for its money. A massive collection of hardware and software all with its own set of problems that have a loose compatibility with each other.
On the plus side at least Amiga owners have an understanding of the imperfections of their emulators and FPGA machines. Android users on the other hand will always blame the App and have no understanding of OpenGL drivers, OS bugs, or why a $20 Chinese made Android phone may have some limitations.
Old 09 February 2023, 23:34   #333
Muzza

Quote:
I agree, It's more a FYI for Muzza, in case he has some expert knowledge as to why it may be occuring.
It is most likely the copper timings not being emulated correctly. I saw similar in older emulators when I first developing the game.

Take the screen you posted earlier with the status bar slightly offset in World1-1. Now look at the DMA display from WinUAE:

Name:	DMA.png
Views:	96
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	78080

The yellow line that goes across the screen is where it changes from the game display to the status bar. It has to change 16 AGA colours as well as the bitplanes, and a few other things. It has one scanline to complete the changes before the blue bitplane fetches start for the status screen. You can see it is very tight. If I artificially delay the copper by inserting an empty instruction I can recreate the same problem. It looks to me as though the FPGA machine is not completing the copper operations in time whereas a real Amiga does.

Now look at the copper from World 3-3:

Name:	DMA3-3.png
Views:	82
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	78084
The yellow blocks are the copper is constantly moving the HW sprites that make up the parallax background to repeat them across the screen. If the timings are out, you end up with half of an attached sprite in the wrong position, and it looks like the scrolling has gone wrong - which matches the reports I've had.

I could possibly play with the copper timings, maybe find copper instructions to cut, and come up with a solution that works on both real and FPGA Amigas (I found it is often easy to fix for an emulator, but then it breaks on real Amigas!), but really it is better for everyone if the hardware itself is fixed.
Old 09 February 2023, 23:52   #334
ransom1122

Understood, and thanks for explaining, it does make sense what you are saying...

It's best to leave the game as it is because I know it is working. As for Mister FGPA, I may relay your comment to the core dev and see if he can pull a core update fixing the copper timings issue.

Thanks
Old 10 February 2023, 00:10   #335
Torti-the-Smurf

Yup, that´s not the Game´s/Muzza´s fault !!!!

Timing is the main issue here.

I did test about 300 Games and 200 Demos for them and the results are VERY good,
but not perfect. (but WinUAE is also not "perfect")

Main problem with the FPGA´s is to get the timing exactly right. (as far as robinson explained that to me)

He now assembled a "to do list" .... but time is a main factor here.

To find "Time" for the "Timing" fixes.

Still, FPGA is fantastic and i should know because i tested so much.... maybe even too much

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 10 February 2023 at 00:21. Reason: tiny typos
Old 10 February 2023, 04:36   #336
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torti-the-Smurf View Post
Yup, but on that iso there is one file called, AmigaGame.exe.
Get that file on the MISTer/WB or Cli and try it.
Nope, same gfx issues when running AmigaGame.exe in AmigaOS with mister fpga
Old 10 February 2023, 07:10   #337
Jimiga

Just to say, thanks for taking the time to explain and offer insight and suggestions. Likewise I'll pick this up over on the MiSTer forums now that I understand more about it.

With luck it'll lead to improvements in the core, fingers crossed!

Indeed it's great to be able to play so many ways. I love using both my restored A500+ and MiSTer, FPGA is just such a snappy way to get right into playing and to have both is a blast. I don't have a real AGA machine unfortunately, but it's great that the MiSTer community is a place where constant iteration is underway.

Thanks to everyone for your time and input. Most importantly, thanks for the great game! Great to be able to enjoy it afresh in 2023!
Old 10 February 2023, 11:30   #338
Torti-the-Smurf

Quote:
Nope, same gfx issues when running AmigaGame.exe in AmigaOS with mister fpga

Damn
Well, it was worth a try; thanks Ransom

Now the only way is to get the MISTer guys to update the core.

MIST runs it flawless
Old 10 February 2023, 12:18   #339
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torti-the-Smurf View Post
Now the only way is to get the MISTer guys to update the core.
Try poking with a stick.
Old 10 February 2023, 14:05   #340
Torti-the-Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Try poking with a stick.

Don´t have a MISTer; i do only MIST stuff !

So, i give that Stick to Ransom ..... >