English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 September 2003, 00:05   #1
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Break The Cycle: Burseg

This is to elaborate on what I posted in another thread.

Burseg used to be a valuable member of the EAB before it went sour and he was banned. There are two ways to proceed:

1. People continue to post things about him that he is obliged to reply to; the cycle then repeatedly starts up.
2. He isn't badmouthed again and we all get on with discussing the Amiga.

Let's have number 2...
AdSense AdSense  
Old 02 September 2003, 00:10   #2
Marcuz
Wurk???

yep!
Old 02 September 2003, 00:12   #3
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
Sorry, it must of been during the time i was away from the board, but...

What exactly did Burseg do? as you say "Burseg used to be a valuable member of the EAB"...

this isn't a open invite to start flaming or anything, i am really interested to know what happened
Old 02 September 2003, 00:32   #4
fisken uno
Commodore's biatch

If you really want to get rid of Burseg, why don't you have a system of banning IP's instead of user names? For some time I was a part of the SCI board of Megatokyo and I believe that that board banned IP:s cause once a kid posted asking why he couldn't connect from home but could from school. He got the answer that the schoolcomputer's IP would be banned too. Seriously, if you really want to get rid of ppl this is at least a more efficient way. Or?
Old 02 September 2003, 00:33   #5
woody57

Question I know I.m still a new guy but .....

...I don,t pretend over the last 9 months I have followed EAB that I read & digest everything but in all of Burseg,s posts I didn,t spot him personally attacking anything that didn,t start with a slur against him or his judgement first.
.. On technical point he was allways concise and very helpful While I don,t believe raking up the past is anyway forward , as what is history is open to individual semantic interpretation we discus in one language and sometimes I do question if that is responsible for some of " flaming " that has taken place .
..Surely as grown men with respect for individual viewpoint as opposed to " Mass Propaganda " we are large enough to have the patience to take a back step and start communication from a fresh viewpoint without prejudice to past events or rash statements .
... As I,ve said before I agree with Cody let the thing that unites us our passion for the miggy be the most important NOT our differences !
Old 02 September 2003, 00:41   #6
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

There is no point in bringing up the story again - it's contained in numerous old threads.

The banning system does work in IP addresses.
Old 02 September 2003, 00:59   #7
Dizzy
Pirate

But still many people have flexible IP, and what about the places where you can have an anonymous IP. I don't think this system could prevent this things from happening.
Old 02 September 2003, 01:18   #8
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
Quote:
There is no point in bringing up the story again - it's contained in numerous old threads.
fair enough, i really can't be bothered to trawl through old threads.... we'll leave it at that
Old 02 September 2003, 03:14   #9
Akira

Antiriad and others started the whole thing dude, you shouldn't have banned Burseg, since he would have not replied again if he was not badmouthed again.
Old 02 September 2003, 04:00   #10
fisken uno
Commodore's biatch

I didn't like to see this scenario. I've actually lost a bit of confidence in a mod today.

Maybe I was naive, but I wanted to try and establish some communication with him. You know, there is a man called Becker who has a theory about outsiders. He claims that they will often identify themselves with the label that people around them put on them, and will continue to act according to people's expectations as long as these expectations persist. I was just trying to face him without prejudice, because I don't believe any people to be hopeless. Of course I might be wrong but I didn't have the time to find that out this time. All he did this time was actually to defend himself. He didn't attack nobody.
Old 02 September 2003, 07:39   #11
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Antiriad and others started the whole thing dude, you shouldn't have banned Burseg, since he would have not replied again if he was not badmouthed again.
And I wouldn't have banned Burseg if he didn't post the image of the naked child suckling a goat and the large penis from last time (both of which I deleted, for obvious reasons). Sorry, but I've got my limits too.
Old 02 September 2003, 08:13   #12
Akira

Did he post them now?
Old 02 September 2003, 08:22   #13
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Yes, I deleted the child and the goat last night.
Old 02 September 2003, 08:39   #14
Akira

i see. Should've said so before. Just my thoughts.
Old 02 September 2003, 14:31   #15
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I don't think Burseq coming back as another nick/user is a bad thing. As long as we drop the reasons for his initial ban and he remembers why he was banned I don't see any reason why we should know it's him anyway.

It's pretty obvious who he is at the moment but if he was to come back as a different nick and stay 'undercover' it shows he would have learnt from it, and although I don't know what went on and who is wrong or right, if we all try and avoid serious flaming or delving into deeper issues that we know are likely to offend or divide us then there's no reason he shouldn't fit back in. We all share an interest in this board for whatever reasons, let's not start killing other people's interest in it by reducing it to trash talking.
Old 02 September 2003, 14:56   #16
Jan

Quote:
Originally posted by killergorilla
We all share an interest in this board for whatever reasons, let's not start killing other people's interest in it by reducing it to trash talking.
Which is what certain people are doing extensively... more and more senseless, blah blah bullshit every day. The main purpose of this board is slowly being pushed into the background.

I strongly support number 2, and some people really should shut up now.
Old 02 September 2003, 16:57   #17
manicx

Well, I am not keen with the story, but if vBulletin doesn't allow banning IPs, you can ban them from Apache (hope this one runs on Apache isn't it?). Just do the following:

If you know the IP it can be easily done with the htaccess file. Simply block the IP range. ie: 123.45.678.xxx

Just thought to give some technical help...
Old 02 September 2003, 17:30   #18
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by fisken uno
I didn't like to see this scenario. I've actually lost a bit of confidence in a mod today.

Maybe I was naive, but I wanted to try and establish some communication with him. You know, there is a man called Becker who has a theory about outsiders. He claims that they will often identify themselves with the label that people around them put on them, and will continue to act according to people's expectations as long as these expectations persist. I was just trying to face him without prejudice, because I don't believe any people to be hopeless. Of course I might be wrong but I didn't have the time to find that out this time. All he did this time was actually to defend himself. He didn't attack nobody.

@Fisken. As has already been pointed out by Dizzy in another thread, there are other forums from which you can speak to Burseg.
Good intentions or not, you should NOT be dragging the rest of EAB into your own personal debates.

Certain postings within Off-topic recently have breached forum rules,& in doing so have caused completely unnecessary tensions amongst members,(Need I remind you of some rather harsh comments IMHO you chose to direct towards FromWithin, being a perfect example, for one.)

RCK previously closed the Off-topic area for a time because of frictions arising out of Off-topic postings.
And I'm not suggesting Off-topic doesn't have it uses,within the overall context of the rules & the spirit of what EAB is about.

Fred has always managed to demonstrate great examples of Off-topic,usually humourous,succinct & amusing Stress-breakers.
And I'll always remember AP Felon's "Rodent Issues",with his hilarious "battle" against some rats,for the very same reason.
And likewise occasional PC hardware/software issues etc. all have their place at Off-topic too.

Political & religious observations/discussions have no place at an Amiga board,they can be discussed elsewhere.

I'm definitely with Cody regarding option 2, allow Burseg to be a positive force in helping others & enjoy his retro-gaming etc. over at Emu UK,& allow us all here to discuss more worthwhile Amiga, issues,(& not be debating issues like this),like Amiga Games that Weren't, Liquid Kids etc.
Old 02 September 2003, 18:11   #19
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by killergorilla
but if he was to come back as a different nick and stay 'undercover' it shows he would have learnt from it
Burseg has been registered as Themroc for quite some time, so he already returned and staid undercover without causing problems. This shows that he has "learned".

Likewise, I have seen GODFLESH coming here only to insult me after I badmouthed him, his shite site or anything related to him, but I have not seen him BANNED. Don't take my word for it. Make a search for his posts and tell me what you see. He was obviously never wanting to contribute anything.

I expect a post from this dude here now, which I won't reply to. I needed to mention it to get my point across.
Old 02 September 2003, 18:22   #20
woody57

I too am guilty........

of spending more time in off topic { which often pushes other posts out } as others who have recently joined EAB .
Allthough I try not to preach I should PM to encourage not post openly as I see how often individuals are offended or upset by challenges to deep held beliefs .
I,ll do my best to stick to the point of this board , shared knoledge and intrest in all things miggy
AdSense AdSense