English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 August 2001, 23:55   #21
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

I also have on of those on board crap sound cards your on about. But RAINE is the only answer for me because not only is my sound card shit, so is the CPU Celeron@366mhz, a complete joke for running anything newer than Gauntlet 1 with MAME.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 19 August 2001, 00:06   #22
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

That's not good! That means R-Type Leo is out of the question on your machine then? Get a new machine man. My soundcard might be shit but it does on virtually every game on MAME at 100%! Why that is I don't know, when Raine runs like shit, the latest version of mame runs like the dogs wotsits!

I don't know what version of mame any of you guys are using but its compatible with a hideous number of games now! Street Fighter Zero 3 and Street Fighter vs X-Men are now working and at 100%! I still say mame is the dogs dangly bits when it comes to emulators! Accept no other!
Old 19 August 2001, 00:20   #23
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

MAME certainly is the Jack of all Trades

But having a slower machine (Which is being replaced next week, fingers crossed) I've notice how other emulators for few systems (RAINE, Final Burn and some others) are faster (In general) than MAME, but hey when I do get my new computer I'll certainly be deleting all other arcade emu's that are supported in MAME.
Old 19 August 2001, 07:35   #24
Burge
Get ready, Agent

I have not found a ROM yet that recreated the total experience I had when I played the game on it's orginial system. That goes for all ROM's, they're just never as good as you expect them to be. Always with the graphics problems, speed and sound problems, configuration problems. Sometimes I think it's just not worth the trouble.
Old 20 August 2001, 00:31   #25
Akira

Burge, There's Nothing Like the Real Thing :laugh

Anyway, I too think MAME has went a bit TOO far with spec needs. MAME is mainly so unoptimized to cater for cross development. It's got to be easily portable and that fucks it up.

I run Raine and NeoGeo games perfectly on my P133 (specially those neogeo beasts!), while MAME dies with them. Besides, it manages memory in a worse way than those two otherexamples. Single-system or more focused emulators always perform better, mainly because they don't use to be portable, they are more platform-specific.
Old 23 August 2001, 01:40   #26
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

As I am new to the PC scene, I am a bit lucky and have a reasonable spec PC (Athlon 1200mhz and 256 meg). So I have no problems with running hardly any game emulated by MAME at all! All the Neo-Geo games work perfectly.

Sorry you guys are having a few wee problems coz it does save having a million and one emulators!

You can't beat the real thing tho, but finding the old classic's is a bit hard where I live! Its all full of the latest driving or gun game

I would love to have my own arcade with all my fav games in their original cabinets but that just ain't gonna happen, unless I win the lottery!
Old 23 August 2001, 05:08   #27
Akira

You can downgrade your 'needs' a bit, and you can have a mini arcade of your own get ONE cabinet, and swap PCBs.... PCB collecting is not as expensive as it seems (about the same as console or otehr videogame collecting) and it's VERy rewarding.

With luck, I'll be getting a cab next year.
Old 24 August 2001, 00:20   #28
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

My funds are low and have other commitments (going to University) to worry about right now! Though that is the way to go! I would love to get my hands on a Bombjack arcade machine. How much would the whole thing set me back do you reckon, the PCB, (cabinet and a monitor wouldn't have to be original of course)?
Old 24 August 2001, 03:41   #29
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

If I had the space (or when I have it), I would like to own Toobin' and S.T.U.N. Runner machines. That would rock. When I lived in Calif, we had a Tempest machine in our living room. That was kinda cool.
Old 24 August 2001, 03:49   #30
Amigaboy

Alot of people get the cabinet, and rather than getting the PCB for a specific game, they get a computer fast enough to emulate MAME. Put this into the cabinet and use that instead, with any game you want

This works really well and has proven to be very popular

With that said, I still hope to some day own "Street Fighter 2: The World Warrior", cabinet and PCB

Old 24 August 2001, 07:59   #31
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

That might work on some games, but it would be much cooler to have the real Toobin' and you would HAVE to have the real thing for STUN Runner.
Old 24 August 2001, 19:19   #32
Akira

With some machines, it really is needed to have the original cabinet. Outrun sit-cab, for example
Old 26 August 2001, 01:19   #33
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

Thumbs up

Agreed! Many games just don't really work well emulated or the cabinet/contoller was what made it. Eg:

Enduro Racer
Hang-on
Super Hang-on
Space Harrier
Powerdrift (don't think this one is emulated, is it?)
Battlezone (wow I mentioned a game not made by Sega!)
Afterburner

Sega made some wonderful cabinets! No doubt there are many more I have failed to mention.

When it comes to bog-standard shmups, fighters and platformers emulation is fine, but somehow some of the magic isn't there. Whenever I stumble across an old favourite in an arcade, I just have to have a go!
Old 16 October 2001, 09:02   #34
Chrissything

Lightbulb

I think some of the reasons the older systems have so much appeal are:

- Less is more.. The experience is not as 'perfect' as it is today. As with Film Noir, Horror Stories (or anything written for that matter), the less detail you present visualy, the more your imagination fills in the gaps.

- I was a teenager when I was playing with these systems so my imagination had not been as jaded by the big bad world by that time.. It was easier for me to get lost in it all. So in a sence, playing the games reminds me of the way I used to feel, even if I don't feel it so much now.

Old 16 October 2001, 11:40   #35
Drake1009

That's a good point Chrissything. That the imagination did take over some of what was needed to get a good experience, and since then the imagination has been slowly killed with the details so you don't need it anymore.

Somewhat like books I'd reckon. You get a lot more from books than you do from movies (If you don't mind spending the time reading that is). And since the older systems did have less power it was impossible to make closed games.

But Emulation is good for bringing back those games when you don't have the old system any longer since the good games are hard to find and if you find then they're hard to make run on modern systems.
Old 17 October 2001, 02:12   #36
Chrissything

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake1009
Somewhat like books I'd reckon. You get a lot more from books than you do from movies (If you don't mind spending the time reading that is).
You are right there - I didn't mean to imply that a book has less 'detail' than a movie. I was referring to the lack of sensory detail - which with games allows the game play to be fully appreciated or bypassed if its no good to start with. For every classic game there were 100 crap ones.

For years there has been talk about 'One man can not make a hit game, because of the production value required'. I believe this is mostly true To build something that competes with the standard on playstation, PC etc, you need a huge budget, marketing and still dont be surprised if you dont get your money back, because again, you are competing with all those clones.

I still think that anyone with a good idea can get it off the ground in some way. Maybe not get it off the ground, but into the undergroud. The last 'bigger than expected' success in my memory is Tetris. This was made in the era where production values were going up, but a very simple concept could still compete. Today though, you may not get something like that in the Top 10 of sales but 10% of a huge market is still bigger than 70% of an 80s market. Then perhaps Nintendo will pick it up and turn it into a Pokemon puzzle.. OK, I'll shut up now

My favourite 64 games and why:

Monty On The Run his universe was huge, well designed and ever changing I just had to explore more.

Chiller Painfully hard to control gave me that extra challenge.. And it was oh so spooky.

Thrust Probably the first game I played that used Sine math.

Old 17 October 2001, 22:37   #37
Akira

I agree there chrissything... less is more.

btw, me likes yer Monty on the Run avatar
AdSense AdSense