English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 19 August 2003, 01:47   #1
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
State of the Scene

Hmmm... where do i start... ok lets start at the begining (well at least my begining)

go back at least 3 years (could be 4)...
i am trawling the net trying to find amiga adfs, having just managed to get WinUAE 08.08.R8 working (the latest version)..
i stumble upon UAE linkpage.. wowww, loads of up-to-date sites, with tonnes of downloads (le chucks, Ninja AGA, BTTR, etc etc etc)...

- i'm back in the Amiga scene -

forward a year or so, i decide to do my first website www.top.ukgamers.net, get myself on TAGs ( RCK ) first place a few times, then UAE changes to AmigaMos... add my homepage to AmigaMos

i find EAB...

woww, the Amiga scene is cool, so many sites, so many downloads, loads of action on EAB, loads of visits to my site, loads of emails received, i swear the Amiga emu/real scene is growing right before my very eyes...

forward a year or so...

www.top.ukgamers.net gets kicked, probably the ks roms and copyrighted games... oh well nevermind, time to open www.amiga.ukhq.co.uk, EAB is great, loads of really cool people... loads of bitchin' n' flamin' ( )...

tosec arrives... OOOOOOOOOO MAN, look at all the games, my 56k modem nearly dies of over-heating... the Amiga scene is rocking...

i get broadband... every Amiga game i've ever dreamed off is sitting on my HD

forward to now... lots of good Amiga sites die off, AmigaMos... lots of sites fail to get updated (even my own ), BTTR once in a blue moon (but i understand), EAB still full of cool people...

... at the moment the Amiga scene is EAB (well, at least for me), i browse the web looking for sites that are buzzin' , none are found...

... i think the Amiga (emu) scene is at an all time low (except CAPS, WinUAE, EAB, HOL and a few others)...

i want a top sites linkpage again (like AmigaMos/TAGS), i know you'll probably not agree and say that Tosec makes it all available and there isn't space for download sites... but i want it, i want all of you to breathe new life into the Amiga scene...

... if you have the time do it, if you're new and you haven't done a website before just ask us, EAB members know their shit...

thoughts?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 19 August 2003, 06:54   #2
Akira

Re: State of the Scene

Quote:
Originally posted by Djay
thoughts?
Yeh

EMULATION SUCKS!

And... with this new site by Spaceballs, no one needs lame link sites
Old 19 August 2003, 17:58   #3
KombatSanta
Pipboy approved

Send a message via ICQ to KombatSanta
A good thing about the wesites deminishing: A more centralized way to obtain and spread amiga software like EAB and EMU-UK are drawing more people together at one place.

A bad thing: Newbies have a hard time getting in to the community.

My view: Dunno bout the future, but there is always new sites popping up and old ones closing down.
Old 19 August 2003, 23:38   #4
Djay
breakpointUK.com

i would like to see more fansites thou... like Dast's Bitmap Website, not just download sites as Akira points the new Spaceball's site is cool... but i would like sites that have a short review of the download too (or something like that)...
Old 20 August 2003, 00:17   #5
useless/spb

In fact we discussed the file information part quite often in the planning stages of amiganostalgia.
The problem was, that it then seemed like we had two options;

1. Making an "informative" site with production backgrounds + maybe screengrabs etc, but then we had to cut down the amount of downloads, due lack of time...

2. Making the site more archive like, with lots of downloads, but not much info (as for now, we dont have any file info at all, but it`s coming, as if not that detailed..).

We came to this conclusion:
Why not gather lots of downloads on www, and skip the details, as there allready are sites (HOL f.ex) who covers the detail part?

I guess combining those two would require a lot of time & recources that I`m afraid few people have these days (as these projects mostly are made non-profit)..

Dont get me wrong! I`d love to make an.com that way... to bad I havent got the time.. ...for now

Cheers!
Old 20 August 2003, 03:17   #6
Fjrb

It's maturing that's all.

It's stationary on a level, and it will only leave it once the legal contraptions allow it. Then, it will surely flourish.

On the ironic POV the lack of general interest is nedeed so the parasites now interested in commercial exploration of brands like Amiga, C64, et cetera will come to the conclusion it's not worth the trouble and is not a viable market and move somewhere else.
Old 04 September 2003, 16:10   #7
IanS

Just to take issue with Akira... ;-)

Emulation is great... especially when the emulator runs faster than the real thing, the display is bigger, better and faster , you can access CD-RW, Zip drive, DVD, giant HDD, high density FDD, 56k modem, lots of ram, virtual memory.

Old 11 September 2003, 19:43   #8
CHiEF
Captain

I must admit, I'm currently thinking about setting up / maintaining an online PD library for Amiga, since I own lots of cool PD stuff plus use it to try and get some new stuff released.

You're right though, we should try to spark more interest in the 'scene'
Old 11 September 2003, 21:21   #9
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Quote:
I'm currently thinking about setting up / maintaining an online PD library for Amiga, since I own lots of cool PD stuff plus use it to try and get some new stuff released.
are we talking selling real disks with PD stuff on or are we talking downloads?
Old 12 September 2003, 00:05   #10
Akira

I sure hope it's about disks. What would be the point otherwise?? Just for emu kiddos to download?

I think you better finish off Sensiadvance first,
Old 12 September 2003, 00:35   #11
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Quote:
I sure hope it's about disks.
me too...

i thought of selling PD disks a while back, just covering costs.
Old 12 September 2003, 11:50   #12
CHiEF
Captain

i'll try disks for a while, although i fear it may be too expensive.

it would be cool though, sending out a nice catalogue disks like the way it should be done!
AdSense AdSense