English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 12 August 2003, 09:22   #61
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by CodyJarrett
While paper-based magazines are not error-free, I tend to trust their writing much more, as they are often closer to the source and much more care has been put into their production.

Paper-based writers are usually professionals, while internet writers tend to be people who do it in their spare time. Of course, when it's correct internet reporting is more timely.
Let's not forget such reliable paper publications as Amiga Action and Amiga User International...
AdSense AdSense  
Old 12 August 2003, 09:55   #62
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Good point!
Old 12 August 2003, 17:56   #63
IanS

I liked AUI. It seemed to be a very 'technical' magazine, but it was well written and occasionally humerous too. Not as funny as the old AF though.

These arguments over which is best is ludicrous. It's all subjective. And unless people are in posession of the full facts, I'd suggest they don't jump to too many conclusions about who killed what, why and when.

besides the best game ever on the Amiga is either AB3D or Cannon Fodder!
Old 12 August 2003, 18:22   #64
Peanutuk

We should all agree to love one another.

After all its these polar opposite opinions which keep this board raging.
Old 12 August 2003, 18:27   #65
IanS

Peanutuk, Cody, Twistin, Akira... I love you. I love you all very much. Just don't argue about who I love the most!
Old 12 August 2003, 18:35   #66
lordsnooty

Wasn't it AUI that famously used a plagarised article from another mag?
Old 12 August 2003, 22:21   #67
Peanutuk

They stole a review, I think, almost word for word from Amiga Power.
Old 12 August 2003, 23:58   #68
IanS

Steal:

'A person shall be guily of theft if he dishonestly appropriates the property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it. The words 'Theif' and 'Steal' shall be construed accordingly'

According to English law. Useless info, but true.
Old 13 August 2003, 00:08   #69
Peanutuk

If AUI were claiming the work was their own (which they were by not attributing the original source - see paper mags do it to...) then they were depriving Amiga Power from being recognised as the true authors - hence theft.

AUI were thiefs and should be executed by smurf gun.
Old 13 August 2003, 00:12   #70
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by Peanutuk
If AUI were claiming the work was their own (which they were by not attributing the original source - see paper mags do it to...) then they were depriving Amiga Power from being recognised as the true authors - hence theft.

AUI were thiefs and should be executed by smurf gun.
Old 13 August 2003, 00:26   #71
Peanutuk

That's the one. Go get'em.
Old 13 August 2003, 22:42   #72
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by CodyJarrett
Good point!
On the other hand, I was reading some movie reviews on the web recently, on sites that look very slick with their layouts and zillions of reviews -- but the writing is very often just not there. So I was trying to determine what makes paper writers more solid that online writers, and I decided that it was due to the fact that writers of real mags have to submit their work to editors and proofreaders who tie up the wiggy bits. This seems to be missing steps in online reviews.

Just had to point this out in the light of fairness for both schools of thought.
Old 13 August 2003, 23:13   #73
Peanutuk

Isn't it all about having a point?

Paper magazines have a set agenda and a identifiable audience, they serve a set purpose. It is therefore far easier, as a writer, to write a piece which answers a specific question or addresses a particular issue. Internet articles generally have no such fixed targets or enforced agendas and so, depressingly, result in a rather muggled aimlessness.

Magazines such as AP managed to combine the two, just take a look a Digiworld to see what happnes when all constraints (and therefore) targets are removed.

Rebels only excell within a system which prohibits them.

The people who should be writing for paper base magizines are sidelined into obscure websites...or else I wouldn't be sayign this here.

Bah.
Old 14 August 2003, 01:01   #74
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

I wish more magazines were like AP and were an entertaining read as well more importantly bullshit and hype free.

But as the advertising revenue probably makes more money than the sales, i doubt any publication company would risk it.
Old 14 August 2003, 15:10   #75
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I agree, AP was a quality mag and IMO didnt take itself too seriously.
I also occasionally bought CU, Amiga Action, The One and one or two Amiga Formats. AP just seemed to get it all right, nice colourful shots, lots of genuine humour and honest reviews.

I curse the day I threw my AP collection away.
Old 14 August 2003, 15:44   #76
Marlon

Me too. I'm slowly rebuilding my collection, spending good money on ebay for mags I owned first time around. Hey ho...

Last edited by Marlon; 14 August 2003 at 15:50.
Old 14 August 2003, 19:05   #77
IanS

Peanut... why can't Internet magazines have a set agenda and a specific audience? Surely being on the internet rather than on paper doesn't make any difference to the target audience, the subject matter or the way things are written?

Also, you refer to the AP theft, but was the original article subject to copyright? I don't know, because I didn't read the mag that often, but these things are rarely as cut and dried as they appear outwardly. IMHO obviously.
Old 14 August 2003, 19:10   #78
lordsnooty

Quote:
Originally posted by IanS
Also, you refer to the AP theft, but was the original article subject to copyright? I don't know, because I didn't read the mag that often, but these things are rarely as cut and dried as they appear outwardly. IMHO obviously.
Yes, any article published in a magazine (or even an unpublished article come to that!) is subject to copyright. If someone takes that article and reprints it without permission, that's illegal in every instance.

I remember I once worked for a company where one of the guys on the PC mag nicked an FAQ (to Quake 2 or something) off the Internet and printed it in the mag. He didn't realise that it had originally been published in a Future magazine. Future demanded that he be fired and that a large donation be made to charity before they would let the matter rest.
Old 14 August 2003, 19:32   #79
Peanutuk

I feel that lordsnooty has answered half of the question. All issues of Amiga Power had "Copyright Future Publishing" in their editorial banners.

As for internet magazines, I didn't say that they can't they just don't. Without the commercial pressures of satisfying a target audience (whihc includes advertisers, publishers and other commericial influences) internet magazines tend to lack the focus of their paper counterparts. Focus is different from a set agenda and a specific audience.

Anyway...time for some smilies...
Old 17 August 2003, 02:30   #80
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Peanutuk
As for internet magazines, I didn't say that they can't they just don't. Without the commercial pressures of satisfying a target audience (whihc includes advertisers, publishers and other commericial influences) internet magazines tend to lack the focus of their paper counterparts. Focus is different from a set agenda and a specific audience.
Actually, this is a ridiculous generalisation. There are plenty of internet sites with as much focus as commercial paper publications. Just being on the internet does not automatically make an entity bereft of ideals that can only be achieved in hardcopy. And most internet sites that feature reviews also have advertisers to deal with, as well.
AdSense AdSense