English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 31 July 2003, 11:26   #1
Big-Byte
Long time member

Zero Magazine Scans.

I have now got the first two complete scans of Issue 0 (came free with another magazine) and Issue 1 (the one with Tintin picture on it) of Zero and they will be appearing on an ftp near you soon

Thanks to Mort who did the scanning. He is also planning to scan the first editions of all his Amiga magazines eventually.

Plus I spotted he had a special pullout section on the Amiga from 'New Computer Express' so Ive asked him to scan that too
AdSense AdSense  
Old 31 July 2003, 11:45   #2
fiath

Nice...

Just out of interest, what resolution are they in? Also are they separate scans or PDF?
Old 31 July 2003, 11:45   #3
Tim Janssen

Thumbs up Fantastic!

Zero magazine was one of the funniest magazines around back in 1989-1992. Has Mort scanned in the complete mag, including the adverts (like he did with Zzap!)?

By the way, in the near future I definitely want to add more HTML-ised Zero reviews to my site. Currently I have reviews of November 1990 and June 1992 online.
May I use your scans as source? You and Mort will be credited.
Old 31 July 2003, 12:52   #4
Frootloop

Your site

Hey Tim,

I've been reading the reviews on your excellent site for the last few days now. I'm going through them all alphabetically. Thanks for putting in all the great work! :-)
Old 31 July 2003, 12:58   #5
TheBoss

Send a message via ICQ to TheBoss
Great stuff I loved Zero back then. Dont mind somone uploaded it on my ftp
Old 31 July 2003, 13:17   #6
Big-Byte
Long time member

The scans are complete with all the pages like Mort did with the Zzap64 scans. They are also the same resolution/quality as the zzap64 scans All the files are seperate as far as I know.

Im sure Mort wouldnt mind what we did with them.

@TheBoss. Pm me details of your ftp and I will upload them to you sometime this week (Im out tonight)
Old 31 July 2003, 13:41   #7
Tim Janssen

Cool @Frootloop,

Thanks for appreciating my site. Yesterday I wrote the 900th review (Amiga Joker-review of Roger Rabbit - Hare Raising Havoc). You can expect an update as soon as my broadband Internetaccount will be working again.
Old 31 July 2003, 13:59   #8
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by Big-Byte
They are also the same resolution/quality as the zzap64 scans
And that is? 150 dpi?
Old 31 July 2003, 14:53   #9
Big-Byte
Long time member

"And that is? 150 dpi?"

Ive no idea! I will ask him and let you know.
Old 31 July 2003, 15:38   #10
KombatSanta
Pipboy approved

Send a message via ICQ to KombatSanta
I've been thinking of doing some cover scans of the old swedish mag "Datormagazin", but I don't know if it would be of interrest to anyone?
Old 31 July 2003, 15:41   #11
Bloodwych

Hmmm. Zero. What an impact issue 1 had on my life, or should I say the cover disk.

read here

Play this game. I guarantee it will FRUSTRATE you like no other EVER has. You've got to love the games background story.
Old 31 July 2003, 19:14   #12
cv643d

Quote:
Originally posted by KombatSanta
I've been thinking of doing some cover scans of the old swedish mag "Datormagazin", but I don't know if it would be of interrest to anyone?
I have been thinking of scanning in the whole set of DMZ's.
Two problems, I have no DMZ anymore, all went in the dumpster 3 years ago. And the first years was in a huge format, how can u scan that :-/
Old 31 July 2003, 20:45   #13
KombatSanta
Pipboy approved

Quote:
Originally posted by cv643d
I have been thinking of scanning in the whole set of DMZ's.
Two problems, I have no DMZ anymore, all went in the dumpster 3 years ago. And the first years was in a huge format, how can u scan that :-/
Well one good things with having parents is that my mother (who still have my old DMZ at her house) works for Degerfors Kommun and therefore have access to a hughe scanner and a biiiiig printing machine.

And DMZ wasn't that hughe.. "Aftonbladet "size was the biggest until they changed format.
Old 02 August 2003, 18:17   #14
Big-Byte
Long time member

Ive set up an account so Zero magazine scans can now be got with these ftp details..

user = zero
pass = zero
amigaisland.no-ip.com
port 2010

four people can connect at once (one connection per ip) but Im only on broadband so it might be a bit slow.

If you want the whole magazine, just get the two rar files (Issue 0 = 4 meg , Issue 1 = 30 meg) otherwise go in the directories to get individual pages.

Old 02 August 2003, 18:43   #15
kriz

KombatSanta : mmm DMZ A friend of mine had a lot of those back in the days, think i also have few laying around .. So atleast there are 2 people interested
Old 03 August 2003, 18:37   #16
KombatSanta
Pipboy approved

Quote:
Originally posted by kriz
KombatSanta : mmm DMZ A friend of mine had a lot of those back in the days, think i also have few laying around .. So atleast there are 2 people interested
Good, then i kmow that there is an interesst. Will be scanning them next time i visit my parents, din't know when that will happen though.
Old 03 August 2003, 19:17   #17
cv643d

Hehe they where quite huge for a computer magazine I think.. and after 10 years they started to tear apart

But wtf, idlike to contribute or something to this.

I have the first issue of the other Swedish Amiga mag, I dont remember its name but it was closed down after 4 issues I think...

Heres an image from it...

http://members.chello.se/erkan/geeksinbed.jpg

Well I can scan the first issue, and then I have some Svenska hemdator nytt och Svenska hemdator hacking.
Old 04 August 2003, 10:00   #18
emser

Thought I might as well budge in on this one.
Hello everyone!

I subscribed to DMZ in the late 80s/early 90s and still have all issues from 1-88 to 5-91 in the olde Amiga closet. They are in semi-pristine condition (Most of them are only read once or twice, but 15 years have taken its toll and some are very yellowed - kinda like my teeth ).

I've been thinking about scanning them for a while, but since it is such a monster scan job, I simply cannot be arsed to do it. Also, scanning on anything below an A3 scanner would mean lots of additional work in terms of aligning partial scans.

So, if anyone with an A3 scanner (or a lot of spare time) is up for some serious scanning slavery, I would be happy to donate the mags in exchange for the scans.

I could do the latest issues (they changed from tabloid to magazine format somewhere 1990-91) if there's any call for it.

Old 04 August 2003, 18:29   #19
KombatSanta
Pipboy approved

well emser, I'm going to scan some of my DMZ and see how the quality holds up. I'll get back to you on this one as soon as I've got some scans. The thin paper could cause some problems.
Old 05 August 2003, 00:07   #20
TheBoss

Send a message via ICQ to TheBoss
I'll support anything that concernes preserving Amiga mags! Im sure people like me (Danes) will understand these mags well Actually I got some Danish mags, Amiga Bladet vol 3 - 10 from 1995 which are still in perfect condition for me to scan them but English readers wont get a word out of these Danish or Swedish mags so i dunno about it
AdSense AdSense