English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 August 2003, 18:20   #21
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

The OS supports AAA chipset - 24bit WBscreens no problemo, 16bit sound (in HW) no problemo... well programed SW takes what the OS gives it, so paint progs that handle 24bit will be able to use it, Sound progs that handle 16bit will be able to use it, and if Toni did manage it (BIG if!), you can guarantee that people would be coding patches and fixes for loads of stuff that didn't like it just as fast as can be, coz they're still writing for the Amiga, even if it's only spare time... ones that would need patching are the prefs progs, and probably rom devices...
AdSense AdSense  
Old 06 May 2009, 01:18   #22
Predabot

Intriguing!

The Wiki link and this video are certainly worth the effort looking into. Seems like it could have been quite something.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...43800661768793

AAA-history
-------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAA_chipset

Hombre - the final version of AAA
-----------------------------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_Hombre_chipset

I guess this is all old news for you veterans tho.

Last edited by Predabot; 06 May 2009 at 22:26.
Old 06 May 2009, 10:04   #23
Steve
Kickstarter Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
There is a good PDF with an overview of AAA.
In the Zone.
Can someone upload this PDF to the zone again plees.
Old 06 May 2009, 10:37   #24
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

http://www.thule.no/haynie/
Old 07 May 2009, 02:04   #25
Toffee

AAA started development in 89 before AGA. I think the 1985 16 bit Blitter and Copper along with no chunky mode in AGA was quite a crime :0( AAA offered all of these. Here's just a snippet:-

Blitter

The AAA blitter is significantly faster than the ECS/AA blitter when running in 32-bit
mode, thanks to the faster, wider bus. Just doing basic scrolls, it can scroll a 640x200x2 screen about 6 times faster, or a 640x200x4 screen about 9 times faster than with the old blitter. But that’s just raw data movement.

Logical improvments to the blitter streamline much of its use. In 32-bit mode, it’s much
easier to program. It now operates using pixel addressing rather than via masks, modulos, and shifts. It can operate on traditional Amiga bitplanes, or on chunky pixels of 2,4,8, or 16 bits width. The line-draw has also been improved, supporting a new “clip-rect” mode for better GUI performance under Intuition. Finally, several arithmetic operations have been added for “sort” and “tally” operations on planes of any pixel depth.

Copper

The copper has been improved in several areas. It can handle 32-bit operations for the
new 32-bit registers, and supports a “move-multiple” function for more efficient loading of blocks of consecutive registers, such as color tables. The copper now has an interrupt capability, which lets it receive an interrupt from the blitter. This allows the copper to manage a series of blit operations, one after another, without additional processor intervention.

Graphics

16,8,4 or 2 bit chunky modes
16 bitplanes
128 pixel wide sprites
24 bit hybrid mode

Sound

The AAA chip set contains the first improvement in Amiga-based sound since the Amiga
was introduced. The audio circuitry can handle sampling rates of better than 50kHz with 16-bit resolution. Eight channels are supported, and channels can be assigned to the left or right output. The 16-bit D/A converters are on-chip, and an external converter is also supported. Additionally, the chip set does 8-bit audio sampling.
Old 07 May 2009, 02:27   #26
cybernoid
Bold as Love

Toffer,
so if AAA was released in 1995 and Commodore didnt went down,
the next AAAA chip would have been better than any gfx/ soundcard we have today... Right?
Old 07 May 2009, 21:31   #27
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybernoid View Post
Toffer,
so if AAA was released in 1995 and Commodore didnt went down,
the next AAAA chip would have been better than any gfx/ soundcard we have today... Right?
No, it probably wouldn't even get close. Think about it. A typical AGA machine such as the A1200 is a lot more powerful then an snes, right? Of course it is. An A500 is. But in terms of old school game performance, it still doesn't touch it.

The snes has layers and a large number of sprites, which is crucial in old school games. From what I've read just now, the AAA chipset would be able to beat the snes in old school game performance, but 1995 would've been a little bit late to start beating the snes, wouldn't it? If you think about it this way, a hypothetical AAAA chipset might be on par with a Plastation, or PS2 at the very most, as far as game performance is concerned, nothing more, unless it was designed today to beat todays products.

Just my thoughts
Old 07 May 2009, 22:23   #28
extralife

from what reading I have been able to get through around the net, it looks like the AGA chipset is simply a rushed and poor replacement for the AAA and if this is true, then that could explain alot why, imho, the a1200 is so bareboned and cheap all around. commodore, I feel, never really gave a shit about the amiga machine or its users for that matter, so its ironic really that amiga inc. is acting in the exact same way towards its old fan base, screw them, if the manufacture is not even remotely interested in evolving their own product into what their own engineers is envisioning, well then there is no reason to start speculating what if, coz it would never have happened anyways
Old 08 May 2009, 01:36   #29
cybernoid
Bold as Love

Yes, I agree with you Thorham and extralife, thanks!
conclusion: it is possible to make better gfx and (special to me) cheap soundcards with better accuracy and sound. The sound of my Amiga is more powerfull than the ac-xx (motherboard) I have with 686. But I tried a terratec some years ago... as crap as ac, then awe 64... a little better but bad hardware EQ... I have friends with some expensive soundcards like guilmot, etc but they sound all the same rubbish electronic 80's speakers, not to talk about the drivers that are made in a rush.
Old 11 May 2009, 15:33   #30
khph_re

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
from what reading I have been able to get through around the net, it looks like the AGA chipset is simply a rushed and poor replacement for the AAA and if this is true, then that could explain alot why, imho, the a1200 is so bareboned and cheap all around. commodore, I feel, never really gave a shit about the amiga machine or its users for that matter, so its ironic really that amiga inc. is acting in the exact same way towards its old fan base, screw them, if the manufacture is not even remotely interested in evolving their own product into what their own engineers is envisioning, well then there is no reason to start speculating what if, coz it would never have happened anyways
Commodore didn't really seem to know what to do with the amiga. Add a really expensive laptop PCMCIA port, but have the processor run at half speed with no fast ram? and don't update the floppy drive or soundchip from th A1000 seven years previous?, release the A1200 without chunky conversion, but the CD32 with it? crazy.
It's almost like they knew they had defeated Atari and thought, that's it, we've won, and just kind of sat around for a bit creaming the profit. Then turned around and saw that consoles were not NES's anymore, and PC's weren't CGA with beeps, wet themselves, and quickly released the A1200.

...still love my A1200 though!
Old 13 May 2009, 13:29   #31
extralife

@khph re: I love my 1200 aswell, but it wasn't really the 2nd comming like the a500 was, was it ? and what u said above, is my thoughts exactly m8
AdSense AdSense