English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 15 July 2003, 22:41   #1
rattus

Cool Best Mod Editor

hi there,

with all the soundtracker clones out there it's difficult to decide which one to use:

http://exotica.fix.no/editors/archive/

Which one do you reckon is the best Mod Editor? I'm just curious...
AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 July 2003, 22:56   #2
Nyarlathotep
Zone Friend

I was a protracker user, but it's almost impossible to choose...
Protracker was probably the most widespread, TFMX is great because Huelsbeck used it, OctaMED is another fine editor...
Why don't you make a poll? :-)
Old 16 July 2003, 02:01   #3
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yeah, I found Protracker to be the best of the *tracker series. OctaMED has a much more elegant interface and is far easier to navigate. What I did was to start at Soundtracker (v2.2?) and worked my way up as they were released. This can still be done. There's a slew of exotic trackers, each probably having their own personalities. Sounds like it would be fun just knocking up a song in each.
Old 16 July 2003, 02:32   #4
fisken uno
Commodore's biatch

Ok, since I am a PC user after all (no I'm not proud) and quite used to the windows gui, I like the modplug tracker very much. I haven't been using tracker programs very much because I'm too short on patience when it comes to learning new programs (I'm a Cubase type), but you can always use these progs to rip samples from old classic mods.

If you want to hear one of my feeble attempts at tracking, get an mp3 at http://hem.bredband.net/patrikmp3/An...0In%20Funk.mp3

BTW this tune was just something I slapped together to try the program out (as I mentioned I'm quite short on patience so I rarely get tunes finished). And Al Lowe has listened to this tune, said he liked it BWAHAHAHA!!! As if he did.

Last edited by fisken uno; 16 July 2003 at 02:58.
Old 16 July 2003, 02:50   #5
rattus

Quote:
Originally posted by fisken uno
Ok, since I am a PC user after all (no I'm not proud) and quite used to the windows gui, I like the modplug tracker very much. I haven't been using tracker programs very much because I'm too short on patience when it comes to learning new programs (I'm a Cubase type), but you can always use these progs to rip samples from old classic mods.

If you want to hear one of my feeble attempts at tracking, get an mp3 at http://hem.bredband.net/patrikmp3/An...0In%20Funk.mp3

BTW this tune was just something I slapped together to try the program out (as I mentioned I'm quite short on patience so I rarely get tunes finished).
sorry mate, no PC stuff (I'm a Mac user, ph34r my wrath) just the Amiga stuff please
Old 16 July 2003, 03:01   #6
Akira

For making Protracker MODs, Protracker should be best. Keep in mind there are other music module formats that you might want to investigate, that is, depending on your needs. It's best to start with Protracker anyway, since most have "nicked" its interface,,, so you can almost seamlessly go from one to the other.

Other non-protracker trackers I recommend: OctaMed, AHX and MusicLine. (You can make Protracker MODs with Octamed)
Old 16 July 2003, 03:08   #7
fisken uno
Commodore's biatch

IF you are interested in which trackers there are for the Mac, this link might help...

http://www.modplug.com/modfaq/4-1-3.html
Old 16 July 2003, 03:13   #8
rattus

Quote:
Originally posted by fisken uno
IF you are interested in which trackers there are for the Mac, this link might help...

http://www.modplug.com/modfaq/4-1-3.html
Thanks! but that info is very out-of-date!

All we have now is PlayerPro, which isn't even being updated by the author anymore... It is now opensource though so hopefully someone will compile a non-crippled/time-limited version soon (fingers crossed!)
Old 16 July 2003, 03:16   #9
fisken uno
Commodore's biatch

Oops, sorry! I was just over to check if Modplug has been ported to Mac (which it obviously hasn't) and found the link from there (didn't check).
Old 16 July 2003, 03:49   #10
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Isn't modplug just a player?
Old 16 July 2003, 04:01   #11
fisken uno
Commodore's biatch

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
Isn't modplug just a player?
Well, there is a plugin and a player - AND a tracker. They are not included in the same package, but you can get the tracker from www.modplug.com. I'm aware that many oldskool people probably think this tracker is shite, but unlike the old amiga trackers and the dos trackers for the PeeCee, I could start working with this tracker AT ONCE. I like that! It has decent compatibility too, all the old amiga mods I've tried have loaded and played correctly (as far as I remember, that is - Haven't used it for quite a long time now).

Last edited by fisken uno; 16 July 2003 at 14:05.
Old 16 July 2003, 07:19   #12
rattus

How about which Mod Editor is the easiest to use/good for beginners...? I have looked at the famous Protracker but the interface is very daunting for one used to a nice Mac-GUI tracker ala PlayerPro!

I have heard good things about Musicline Editor though... Any more suggestions?
Old 16 July 2003, 08:40   #13
Akira

Rattus, PlayerPro is pure SHITE. The interface is mega poop. Protracker it's where it's at.

Try Octamed, the interface is nice, and the output you get from it is tops. BUt seriously, PlayerPro is seriously flawed. That is NOT the standard interface for a tracker, Protracker's is. No wonder why it has been copied all over the place.

Musicline is excellent, but if you are daunted at Protracker's interface, avoid musicLIne until you are experienced with trackers. Also, you will enjoy it to its fullest with, at least, an 030 processor.

My advice is: start with OctaMed or Protracker, then try others, as Twist suggested.
Old 16 July 2003, 11:56   #14
fisken uno
Commodore's biatch

When it comes to the amiga trackers I'd say ProTracker too... Back in the old days I used to fiddle with a program called NoiseTracker (one of all those soundtracker clones I suppose). It can only handle the old four channel module format and I believe there are limits for the size of the samples... but I liked it! Has more or less the same interface as PT though, so you might as well go for it. Once you've learned it you'll be familiar with most trackers...
Old 16 July 2003, 12:47   #15
MethodGit

Speaking of MODPlug, I'm not sure if it's being worked on anymore. You certainly don't hear much news on its progress anyway. But it's likely that it's been overshadowed somewhat by the more advanced DeliPlayer.
Old 16 July 2003, 13:59   #16
fisken uno
Commodore's biatch

Yes, I'm also worried about the modplug site being awfully quiet for a long time now... I don't know, hope it's not completely dead. I like DeliPlayer but it's only a player - I'm so in love with MP Tracker I'll cry if it won't get updated! Then again, it's quite good as it is so it doesn't really NEED to be updated... yet.

I got interested in this PlayerPro, now that Akira spoke of it being such a bad program. Think I'll check it out, since I'm not entirely sure how a tracker program can be "unfaithful"; Poop interface and god knows what. Has ANYBODY here tried MP Tracker? I'd be interested in knowing what Ameega people think of it...? Is it "faithful" enough? I think so, it works and looks exactly as a tracker - but within a windows environment of course. And there are shortcut keys, help menus and stuff. Really easy to use.
Old 16 July 2003, 14:25   #17
fisken uno
Commodore's biatch

I just remembered that I saw FruityLoops being classified as a tracker (I think it was on the MAZ Sound Tools page) which I thought was kinda odd. FL is a great program, extremely fun to use but it occured to me that it wasn't half as powerful as trackers. As the name says it's mostly loopbased - stretching drum loops etc - and it supports DXi and VSTi. But the whole point, in my opinion, with trackers is that you have lots of power to manipulate the samples; Bending, sliding, adding vibrato etc (you can even create drum rolls from just the sound of a snare drum!). The song above that I linked to, the slapping bass part couldn't have been done in FruityLoops without recording it with a real bass or exporting parts from a program such as a tracker. Or using a whole archive of samples.

Last edited by fisken uno; 16 July 2003 at 15:07.
Old 16 July 2003, 17:21   #18
Akira

MAZ doesn't know what a tracker is, and I think Buzz is NOT at all like a tracker.

Haven't seen Modplug Tracker, but on the PC, you have the good old FastTracker 2.something, and the new Renoise. They are good, "faithful" trackers. Check' em out Fisken, Renoise even accepts VSTis if that's your kind of thing, and all is under the sweet familiar "protracker-like" interface. Running under Windows of course.
Old 16 July 2003, 19:10   #19
fisken uno
Commodore's biatch

Akira: Sounds very interesting! I'll check it out, sounds like my cup of tea, this Renoise.
Old 16 July 2003, 19:39   #20
fisken uno
Commodore's biatch

While we're talking about trackers etc, a question sprung to my mind; I'm doing most of my feeble tracking attempts in the .xm format (don't know why really), so I just realized that I'm not sure from where this format originates... Is it originally a Fasttracker format or what? Are there any amiga trackers that are supporting this format as well? Maybe this is a dumb question...
AdSense AdSense