English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 14 July 2003, 23:16   #1
Framerate

Happy Setting up a TCP/IP network on an A1200, with WB3

Hi,

Ive been using a serial cable to connect my PC to my A1200 using the Amiga Explorer (from Amiga Forever).

This was pretty good but is painfully slow. I do have one problem however, my PC is downstairs, while my amiga is upstairs. Putting them both in the same room is impossibe as there just isnt enough room.

I know that Amiga Explorer supports TCP/IP connections with the Amiga. If i get a PCMCIA Power-Lan card (Link to it here ) how do i set it up to work with TCP/IP? It says on the amiga forever homepage that i should be able to get some software on Aminet, but i really dont know exactally what to look for.

Can anyone tell me exactally how to set up TCP/IP on my amiga, what software to download, and where to get it from?

Id be really greatfull if anyone could help me with this!

AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 July 2003, 08:56   #2
thomas

IMHO this price is much too expensive. You can as well use the cnet.device and one of the supported PCMCIA network cards.

For the reset fix there is also a software solution on Aminet.

Now to the TCP/IP stack. The only free stack available is AmiTCP V2. But this is very hard to configure. If you can live with a time limit and some demo requesters, you should use Miami or Genesis demo. Or, if you even would spend about 50 for hardware, you could also spend this money on software.

Maybe I'm talking nonsense here and this Power-LAN is just a cheap network card + reset fix + registered TCP/IP stack, I don't know.
Old 15 July 2003, 10:18   #3
Echo

Are there any guides on this somewhere?

It's something I'd like to do for my Amiga, as I already have a spare TBase port on my router. The prices for Amiga PCMCIA network interfaces are disgusting, but I was planning to get a second hand one when I spot it in Amibench, or some auction / car boot sale.

Does anyone know which interface brands definately work with Windows TCP/IP and standard hardware routers?
Old 15 July 2003, 13:19   #4
Framerate

Quote:
Originally posted by thomas
IMHO this price is much too expensive. You can as well use the cnet.device and one of the supported PCMCIA network cards.

For the reset fix there is also a software solution on Aminet.

Now to the TCP/IP stack. The only free stack available is AmiTCP V2. But this is very hard to configure. If you can live with a time limit and some demo requesters, you should use Miami or Genesis demo. Or, if you even would spend about 50 for hardware, you could also spend this money on software.

Maybe I'm talking nonsense here and this Power-LAN is just a cheap network card + reset fix + registered TCP/IP stack, I don't know.
I just checked that cnet.device page and it seems that my laptop's PCMCIA LAN card is already supported!

How much would this software cost? And how difficult would it be to set up? Ive been setting up PC networks and stuff for years, but ive never touched it on the amiga.

Thanks

Old 15 July 2003, 14:09   #5
thomas

The following software is free:

AmiTCP V2 full version
AmiTCP V4 demo
Genesis demo (successor of AmiTCP)
Miami seems like the registered version of Miami V2 is free, too. You should try this.

Genesis can be bought from Haage&Partner or from any Amiga Dealer near you.

Unfortunately Miami can no longer be registered.

Configuration of AmiTCP is much like Unix. There are passwd, groups, hosts, services, inetd etc. files. Genesis and Miami are much easier. Just look at the GUI, you might find many familiar items.

Bye,
Thomas
Old 16 July 2003, 01:39   #6
Echo

Has anyone bought a *new* PCMCIA NIC intended for a laptop and got it working on an A1200?

I've seen them as cheap as 12 from www.dabs.com, this would be great if I could utilise such an interface. That was DABS' own brand, I have no idea if it's NEC2000 compatible.
Old 16 July 2003, 20:17   #7
Framerate

Quote:
Originally posted by thomas
The following software is free:

AmiTCP V2 full version
AmiTCP V4 demo
Genesis demo (successor of AmiTCP)
Miami seems like the registered version of Miami V2 is free, too. You should try this.

Genesis can be bought from Haage&Partner or from any Amiga Dealer near you.

Unfortunately Miami can no longer be registered.

Configuration of AmiTCP is much like Unix. There are passwd, groups, hosts, services, inetd etc. files. Genesis and Miami are much easier. Just look at the GUI, you might find many familiar items.

Bye,
Thomas
Thanks for the links, ill have a go with the ones youve mentioned there and ill post back here with the results!

Ive got an accelerator arriving in a few days, so ill try and set the network up when thats here, itll save me moving my amiga twice!

Old 14 May 2015, 01:03   #8
hardwir3d
Zone Friend

Smile

Never thought one day I'd revoke such an ancient thread

Hello all,

Past two evenings I've been trying to set up WPA2 wireless PCMCIA. Got a
Speedtouch 110 for a fiver. Installed the Prism2v2 package along with the correct wifi settings. Added relevant patches to Blizkick. Tried AmiTCP first, but after doing all (?) configs in CygnusEd, that produced an error I couldn't solve quickly. Even after finding some excellent online guides and tips.

So I moved on to Genesis. Added SANA-II device prism2 unit 0. Created a user. Added gateway, DNS, the Amiga's preferred fixed IP,etc. Added all known values to GenesisPrefs. Added Amiga and router IP to host file.

When trying to start the TCP stack, an "Initialising device", "Establishing connection" window or something appears briefly, after which the green power led comes on. So it seems at least the driver is ok? The Amiga then seems to establish a connection: 'speedtouch now online', along with a running online timer.

Cool. However... I can't ping the Amiga and in AWeb connecting to a webpage takes forever. I've tried TKIP and mixed encryption. Two different wifi channels. OS3.1, 030 and 40.68.

Not a single error message. Any guide where to look next is of course greatly appreciated as I can't wait to have a Samba share on my Miggy
Old 14 May 2015, 22:15   #9
Nobby_UK

I used to use a Speedtouch 110 on my old router = WPA + TKIP
But my new one uses WPA2 + AES and it no longer works.

Then I flashed an old D-Link Air DWL-650 and I was back
Old 17 May 2015, 14:56   #10
hardwir3d
Zone Friend

You mean you flashed the Speedtouch with DWL-650 firmware?
Old 17 May 2015, 18:46   #11
Nobby_UK

No.
I had no idea what firmware to use on that
as it would not run on my PC.
AdSense AdSense