English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 July 2003, 20:50   #61
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Unfortunately this is sadly true. Speaking from personal experience, its a fact that you can have someone make legal claims against you based on a pack of lies so long as they have a a bunch of gullible and bloodthirsty lawyers
AdSense AdSense  
Old 18 July 2003, 22:06   #62
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
The point is most people will settle out of court because they cant afford the lawers to defend themselves, so you never find out how invalid their claims are.

Its like a robber sticking a gun in your face asking for your wallet. How many people would say screw you I think the gun is fake and how many would shit themselves and hand over the wallet? Of course the theif wouldnt try that with somebody who had a real gun and was ready to lose it.

A long time ago the olympic comittee (the guys who decide where the olympics are held every 4 years) sued everyone using the olympic name to quit using it (there were tons of companies using it to sell stuff even shoes). Of course they never bothered to try sueing Olympic airlines because they had alot of cash and lawers to defend themselves.
Old 19 July 2003, 20:21   #63
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by IFW
Obviously, have no doubt about that for a single second.
"All the good people who are going to pay are our friends"

If you remember the "unathorized" press release, it clearly stated they want to turn a non-paying free community into a milking machine with almost these words.
Funny thing is that the so called "unathorized press release" have been passed onto other media, without much change and has not been withdrawn at all. Probably another mistake...

They are simply playing friendly on the community, while they are preparing to backstab them big time.
Reminds me of the settlers and conquerors who gave shiny things and stuff to the natives as a show of goodwill, until they could kill, exile or enslave them all.
It worked for centuries, if they are sheeps believing this friendship crap it is going to work now.
History repeats itself as usual, but since you have the advantage of knowing history this time you can do against it happening again.

Actually I find their good cop bad cop and now marbles to the natives tactics fairly arrogant, and those who buy into that deserve to suffer anyway.
It is also rather cynical to thank the community to keeping their forthcoming business alive, like a spit into their face and laugh.

Couldn't have been better summed up IFW.
@Akira-I'm surprised at "certain" gullible utterances over @Lemon about these parasites. Although I think the speculations over possible overtures into areas like mobile phone games would sound very feasible & logical.
Of course funding certain prominent "fansites" like Lemon would represent an excellent opportunity to remove the "free with author permission" type downloads,not to mention the control over a well-known forum area.

I find it ironic, they claim that they want to stop Highstreet stores "illegally selling emulators/games"...but as has been highlighted already,how does that differ from what they themselves want to do? Hypocrites. The "wait & see" crowd better not be surprised when they get splinters sitting on the fence....it's niave to think they're going to support anyone but themselves.
Old 20 July 2003, 20:04   #64
Akira

Dont be surprised Zark, as I said, I saw the same gullibility (Eh? sp? ) on the amiga Scene, with people believing evey piece of shit to come out of Amiga Inc's mouth.
Old 20 July 2003, 22:34   #65
Unknown_K

Evil grin

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Dont be surprised Zark, as I said, I saw the same gullibility (Eh? sp? ) on the amiga Scene, with people believing evey piece of shit to come out of Amiga Inc's mouth.
The best advertising is to tell people what they want to hear. Tell the poor they will get rich without working, tell the fat you have a pill to make them skinny, and tell the amiga user they will see a new machine that will be better then a PC.. you get the idea.
Old 21 July 2003, 03:37   #66
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
...and tell the amiga user they will see a new machine that will be better then a PC.. you get the idea.
And of course we all know that no machine could be better than a PC...
Old 21 July 2003, 07:03   #67
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
I just hope Amiga Inc. doesn't get the same hare-brained ideas into their head & try the same thing. Could you imagine the reaction to them trying to stop WinUAE?

Unfortunately,as Unknown_K said,all it will take is a few lawyer issued emails to scare the fansites,regardless of Tulip/Ironstone having no legal-claim to resell most C64 games-I highly doubt the fansite authors would have the financial capacity to put up a fight about it.
Old 21 July 2003, 09:53   #68
Dizzy
Pirate

Okey if TULIP sue a person, they have to prove they have a case. They can't... so it wouldn't be easy to sue people, not in Europe, we have some basic rights, meaning you don't have to have a lot of money to be able to protect you., you could always get a lawyer. So when you win Tulip have to pay for your lawyer too. I think it would be possible to find a lawyer in US who would take the case, for free if you win. And you would win....
Old 27 July 2003, 18:05   #69
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

More from Lemon64 :suspiciou ..................

"<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
For Immediate Release - July 16th 2003

Following the press release issued last Friday 11th by Tulip Computers N.V, we are pleased to confirm that Ironstone Partners Ltd has signed an exclusive worldwide licensing deal for the Commodore 64 and associated products.

Through this agreement we intend to grow the Commodore 64 community both by supporting the existing loyal user base and developing new ways to bring the enjoyment of the Commodore 64 experience to an even wider global audience.

Ironstone recognises and applauds the tremendous achievement of the existing Commodore 64 community and the web sites that have allowed it to flourish. Consequently it is our wish to work with and support these sites and it is not our intention to stifle any of the current activities that support the Commodore 64 community.

Our mission is to bring the C64 and the Commodore brand back towards the mainstream and extend its appeal. We will not compromise the values that have made Commodore 64 the tremendous and enduring success it has been in the past and will build on these strengths to take them forward into the future.
>>>
..................."

@Akira. I guess it should come as no surprise that one of Ironstone's biggest defender's to date @Lemon's forums has finally admitted to dealing with the devil & signed a non-disclosure agreement to boot.

Last edited by 7-Zark-7; 27 July 2003 at 18:55.
Old 27 July 2003, 18:13   #70
IFW

" You dance with the devil the devil don't change, the devil changes you. "
Old 27 July 2003, 18:50   #71
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Well, my advice to the C64 website community is as follows.

1) Remove any C= logos
2) Put any Games on FTPs
3) Use the word "Unofficial" in small letters
4) Have a paragraph of legal crap saying Tulip own the name etc

Then wait a year or so before Tulip goes bust and put it all back as it was!
Old 27 July 2003, 20:33   #72
Phiber
Hardware Freak

Send a message via MSN to Phiber
one word comes to mind regarding the big companies with profit margins and dollar/euro signs on their eyes..

WANKERS! :kill
Old 16 August 2003, 16:36   #73
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Exclamation

Courtesy of the Lemon 64 forum & http://www.c64.sk/

"Retro_Mart

As you know, I invited both Tulip Computers and Ironstone Partners to comment on their intentions for the C64 brand. Here is what Paul Gouge, Business Development Director of Ironstone had to say.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to respond to your article. We have read Allan Bairstow’s comments with interest and his views are shared by a number of other C64 users that have contacted us. Whilst we do find it a little disconcerting that a minority of C64 enthusiasts appear to be forming very concrete negative views of our intentions before talking to us or even having any idea of our plans, we understand why they might have concerns so we welcome the opportunity to set things straight.

Firstly and most importantly, as we state in OUR press release, “Ironstone recognises and applauds the tremendous achievement of the existing Commodore 64 community and the web sites that have allowed it to flourish.”. As C64 enthusiasts ourselves we are very much aware that the C64 brand has been ignored by its owners for many years and would be effectively dead if it wasn’t for the unpaid support of the community. As Allan rightly points out the vast majority of the websites that support the community are not commercial and do not generate any revenues from their users. We have therefore have no interest in damaging, preventing or stifling the continuing operation of these sites. What would be the point? We are not saying that Ironstone won’t take action where companies are using the C64 brand for commercial gain, but as we have learnt from many years of business experience, it is always better to explore partnership opportunities first before resorting to legal action.

OK, so why have we paid all this money for rights to the C64? As a business we obviously have a duty to our shareholders to attempt to generate income but we will not do this by attempting to charge users for what they currently receive for free but instead by launching a range of C64 hardware and software products which we believe will appeal to both the existing community and a whole new generation of users.

Simply put, Ironstone’s key objectives for the C64 are two fold.

* To grow the Commodore 64 community both by delivering a new range of Commodore 64 products and services to the existing loyal user base and web sites.

* To bring the C64 and the Commodore brand back towards the mainstream and extend its appeal by developing new products and services that bring the enjoyment of the Commodore 64 experience to an even wider global audience.

To pick up on one final point made by Allan and many others, it was stated in Tulip’s press release of July 11th that, “there is still an extensive group of about 6 million loyal Commodore users and enthusiasts around the world.” As we are all aware, it is very difficult to determine the size of any community that doesn’t have its home in one place, or were all members have not registered, so we simply can’t comment on this. I’m sure the truth lies somewhere between Allan’s and Tulip’s figures. What we do know, however, is that the Commodore 64 has been an enduring success against all the odds and that it does have a significant fan base both on and off the internet, and we will attempt to build on the strengths that made this possible by adding our mark to the Commodore legacy.

On a closing note, I would like to add that we have received a large amount of very positive emails from the C64 community both offering support and some very interesting ideas and we would like to again thank all of those who have contacted us. We would also like to ask anyone who has any questions or concerns to contact us on info@ironstonepartners.com. I would also like to state that we have already started discussions with some of the largest fan sites with a view to working with them, so watch this space...

Kindest regards.

Paul. ".....................(end quote)

What are these mysterious "new products & services",pray tell?
Now whilst I have many happy C64 memories,& have great retro fun with CCS64,I cannot seriously see today's PS2,X-box, Gamecube,Raedeon/Geforce Mega PC 3D gaming youth getting excited about the C64.
Old 16 August 2003, 16:55   #74
IFW

new products: "official" c64 emulator, the rest will be declared as pirated material or something
new services: charging money is not an easy business, you need a lot of services getting involved

Hope this helps
Sorry, but only fools fall for that "unathorized press releases flooding from Tulip" BS.
Old 16 August 2003, 17:54   #75
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Big grin

Yep, you've gotta love their "exploring partnership opportunities before taking legal action", let me guess their chief negotiator must be Cartman from South Park?!
Old 17 August 2003, 22:26   #76
Akira

This is shite.

Zark, check out that Kraftwerk guy at Lemon, he's such an ass... he's of the mentality of " I;d buy anything these guys produce, just because it's Commodore".

I hope he enjoys his new C64 dustcover :P
Old 17 August 2003, 22:53   #77
Unknown_K

There are always people who only buy the official brand merchandise even though there is higher quality and cheaper material available from 3rd parties.
Old 18 August 2003, 09:07   #78
jmmijo

True, but sometimes the third parties are the ones that make the crap product to capitalize on the name brand
Old 13 November 2003, 16:09   #79
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Exclamation

*Bumps*
Ironstone & P.R. company splits

Thanks to Akira for this one, interesting how Ironstone's sympathisers aren't saying much about this, it's the most anyone has heard in months.
AdSense AdSense