English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 08 July 2003, 02:38   #1
Tea

Unhappy Problem of Emergency Disk for OS3.9

Hi all, I have followed the http://home.t-online.de/home/thomas-rapp/os39uae.html Quick OS3.9 install guide to success create the emergency disk under the latest WinUAE, but when reach the step 23 and try to boot up the emergency disk, a error message keep said something like read/write error of the disk so I can't enter the workbench desktop to continue the setup, can someone help me pls ?

AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 July 2003, 10:37   #2
thomas

I vaguely remember something like this but I can hardly recall the exact circumstances.

Try Floppy Speed = 100%. I'll try it myself tonight at home.

Edit: no, no, now I remember. It is not the floppy that has read errors but the CD-ROM. Boot without the emergency disk again and open a shell window. Then insert the emergency disk and edit the CD-ROM mountlist.

Enter:

ed df0:devs/dosdrivers/emergency_cd

then change the maxtransfer line to read

MaxTransfer = 0xfe00

Now press Esc and enter x to save the file. Reboot. It should work now.

Last edited by thomas; 08 July 2003 at 10:44.
Old 08 July 2003, 12:26   #3
Tea

Thank you so much Thomas, now the emergency disk work ! If you don't teach me I really have no way to find out this solution by myself.

Last edited by Tea; 08 July 2003 at 12:59.

Old 08 July 2003, 13:00   #4
thomas

The installation just copies files. There is no magic inside.

If you followed my instructions you already have this "Workbench" directory which shows up as a drive in AmigaOS. This is meant to be the destination for the OS3.9 installation. You may want to add another directory as "Work" as this is the standard AmigaOS installation (small system partition and large application partition).

Note: every directory you add to the harddrives list in WinUAE is a drive in AmigaOS. The Amiga might write into this directory, but it has no chance to write into directory levels above the mountpoint. So if you don't add your drive C as harddrive in WinUAE there is no chance to damage your Windows installation. If you add C:\WinUAE\Harddrives\Workbench, only this directory and its subdirectories are targets of write accesses, C:\Windows will not be touched.

Hint: when the installer asks you about your skill level, never choose "Novice". Novice will make assumptions about the system which in most cases are wrong and it does not let you change them. Use Average or Expert. Expert gives the highest level of control, so you'll be told about everything it does.

Edit: the question has gone. I will leave the answer here nevertheless...

Last edited by thomas; 08 July 2003 at 13:08.
Old 16 July 2003, 22:31   #5
MethodGit

I see you updated the page today. But dang, I wish I had archived the pre-updated guide for historical and comparison purposes...
Old 17 July 2003, 10:12   #6
thomas

But the new version actually works while the old one didn't because of the MaxTransfer problem, so what is the point in keeping the old copy ?

I must admit that I didn't even save the old version myself.
Old 22 July 2003, 00:29   #7
MethodGit

Guess you're somewhat correct there, although this message on the AIAB message board confused me somewhat:

http://aiab.emuunlim.com/bin/wwwboard/messages/49.html

Remember, this was posted back when the old version of the guide was online. Wonder how (or why) he never came across the MaxTransfer problem.......?
AdSense AdSense