English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 03 July 2003, 16:48   #1
IanS

Emulating a PC on my miggy...

Hello folks,

Do any of you wise and wonderful people know if it is possible to get PCTask 4 to recognise the PCMCIA slot on an A1200? PC drivers for the Lan card aren't a problem, but can PC Task even access the PC slot?

I was wondering if, as a futile waste of time, I could get Windows for W/G, running on my Amiga (with PCMCIA LAN card), to talk to XP or Win 98 over my little Ethernet network. Why you may ask? Well, because I'm sad... is there any better excuse?

Thanks in advance.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 03 July 2003, 17:15   #2
ant512

I don't think that either PC Task or PCx will access the PCMCIA slot. More importantly, even if they could, neither runs fast enough to maintain a network connection even on an 060.
Old 03 July 2003, 17:38   #3
jmmijo

I hate to say it but wouldn't it be better, well not neccessarily better of course, perhaps cheaper is a better description; to get a cheap PC and/or parts and build it yourself

I understand the reasoning of having an all-in-one box but it's not always practical if speed is the issue, among other things.
Old 04 July 2003, 09:37   #4
IanS

The really sad thing is... I already have two 486 boxes and a Pentium 150, along side my two ancient Apple Macs. Not to mention my Athlon XP box. This really was just a "can it be done?" exercise.

I'll take my anorak off and get a life once I know the answer to this most important issue!
Old 04 July 2003, 16:52   #5
Akira

The phrase applies even for lame PCS: "Nothing BEats the Real Thing!"

I don't think any PC emu will accept your PCMCIA Ethernet card, but you could try connecting through serial!
Old 04 July 2003, 17:31   #6
IanS

Serial is not a problem. The Intersvr and Interlnk programs are great but they only recognise FAT16 partitions and cannot access CD RW, DVD or ZIP drives. However, good old Laplink V.3, a tiny Dos program does the job well enough. A little gem of a prog!

Now, as for TCP/IP over serial... that's also on my list of "to dos". Along with VNC on my Epoc and Palm devices.

Boy am I a sad git. Somebody rescue me and get me a life!!!!!

Thanks guys. Oh, and Akira... you're right "Nothing BEats the Real Thing!"

Old 04 July 2003, 18:08   #7
Akira

Yeah yeah, pick on my typo :P

A Serial SLIP connection would be easy if you set up a linux/Xish box somewhere. I've done it with my miggy with success, should work OK for an old PC Box too.
Old 14 July 2003, 18:57   #8
IanS

Thanks Akira, I'm going to try 'Slip' as soon as I've got Samba up and running on my Miggy/PC. Finally... Miggy will have access to BIG hard drives, CD Burner, DVD! (but only over a 10mb/s LAN... DOH!)

tYpO! wHaT TYpO>?
AdSense AdSense