English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 02 July 2003, 10:44   #1
manicx

How accurate is the emulation?

Hi guys,

As a member of the Kick Off Association (a community dedicated to the best football simulation ever) I have been discussing recently the possibilities of using winUAE to play our favourite game.

My first impression is that the emulation gives me 100% A500 emulation. Sound is fine, graphics are better (100Hz instead of 50Hz) and TIMING looks 100% accurate.

Unfortunately some people believe that the speed is not the same. Timing is not the same. I do have a pretty old AMD Thunderbird at 1.2 with 512Mb of memory, ATI RAdeon 7200 and SBLive 5.1!

I do believe that playing with the settings will give the appropriate results, but I would really like to know on a technical basis, how accurate can the emulation be (especially timing)comparing to an A500. Thanx
AdSense AdSense  
Old 02 July 2003, 20:49   #2
khephren

If it runs at 50 fps then it is 100% accurate.
Old 02 July 2003, 22:47   #3
IFW

It it runs at 50fps
you are running a pal game (KO & co fine)
your display card produces an 50hz refresh rate or the multiple of it (100, 150..)
you can verify on your monitor osd the refresh to be really what the card claims
and uae is locked to to he card refresh (vsync)....

...then it is very accurate

You wil be off with a frame once every few thousand frames though due to the refresh rate not being exactly 50hz for real - unless you are a super-human or you have some equipment to analyse screen refresh you won't notice it
Old 03 July 2003, 10:09   #4
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
ok then

So if KO2 is screen refresh exact.. what about input?? I play KO2 on Winua a fair bit.. and it seems to me as if the keystrokes aren`t getting through sometimes....

so if there`s a slight lag with one person... surely it`s going to be worse with a joystick splitter and using two.. or one on kbd and one using a joystick ??

it just doesn`t feel as slick as a real A500.. playing it..
Old 03 July 2003, 18:03   #5
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

Any lag is probably due to windowz... to get the best results use Win98 not XP, as under 98, almost everything else is dormant when WinUAE is running. Course Toni could promptly tell me I'm wrong
Old 03 July 2003, 18:05   #6
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Stick out tongue

Akira, where are you? I sense your classical copyrighted phrase is needed!!
Old 03 July 2003, 18:06   #7
IFW

Hmm... XP Pro corporate version. You are wrong, if that helps, no need for Toni
Old 03 July 2003, 18:11   #8
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

Not unless you can alter task priority under XP - if so, how?
Old 03 July 2003, 18:17   #9
IFW

Yes, and I don't alter it - but obviously you shouldn't burn cds, play other games etc, while using uae. If you do, it is your problem. It works perfectly with an active dsl connection and the eab irc client running though
Anyway press ctrl+shift+escape for task manager if you really feel the need.

edit: with a firewall, outlook, nav all active too.
Old 03 July 2003, 19:30   #10
Akira

No matter how accurate the emulation is, I hitnk part of having a KO2 tourney is remembering a bit of the old days, so playing the game on a PC would be absolute CACK. You will kill the " ambience".
Old 04 July 2003, 08:48   #11
manicx

I agree with you Akira, but at the moment we are trying to make sure how to be able to play the original version! The Oracle crack is a bit all over the place !I am suggesting a PC in order to be able to use the IPF images of the games.If we ever manage to get the images back to a floppy, I will be able to sleep again !
Old 04 July 2003, 08:56   #12
IFW

You will be, but the Anco protection unfortunately will need custom hardware to master (no sw only method is possible)

btw: what's up with the cracks? Some nice side effect if the game notes being modded?
Old 04 July 2003, 10:43   #13
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Side effects !!

Well Galahad apparently has fixed the Oracle version.. last time I got a hold of him.. he cound`t find where he put it.. and he doesn`t answer my emails or pm`s.. ...

I have bought an orginal off ebay recently... I reckon when people see them... buy them.. if people are worried about running out of copies..
Old 04 July 2003, 13:34   #14
manicx

Quote:
Originally posted by IFW
You will be, but the Anco protection unfortunately will need custom hardware to master (no sw only method is possible)

btw: what's up with the cracks? Some nice side effect if the game notes being modded?
This protection sucks! BTW, the crack seems to be the same version as the one that Fiath has (the one called Kick Off 2 + World Cup 90. I can't be be bothered going on what are the differences between this and the version I send you. It seems to be a bit buggy though ! When will this hardware be available guys? I need to have a look at the schemantic!

We need Galahad's help... I Can't understand why he is not replying to emails or PMs!
Old 04 July 2003, 17:11   #15
Akira

Buy an original off ebay. They should cost you peanuts.

I read somewhere around here something about "playing Kick Off with cursor keys". If that happens, thanks to emulators, you have completely raped the whole concept for life :P

Stick to the real thing. Buy an original, copy it with a Cyclone cartridge (if possible), or maybe this game is available for WHDLoad? Let me check...
Old 04 July 2003, 18:15   #16
fiath

Unfortuately as Manicx found out, Cyclone can't copy it.

Also, Kick Off 2 goes for quite a bit of money on eBay usually.
Old 04 July 2003, 19:15   #17
Akira

And no WHD Version I see... shitee!
Old 04 July 2003, 20:39   #18
IFW

Quote:
Originally posted by manicx
This protection sucks! BTW, the crack seems to be the same version as the one that Fiath has (the one called Kick Off 2 + World Cup 90. I can't be be bothered going on what are the differences between this and the version I send you. It seems to be a bit buggy though ! When will this hardware be available guys? I need to have a look at the schemantic!

We need Galahad's help... I Can't understand why he is not replying to emails or PMs!
The only bugs you will ever going to find are present on the original, so if there are any feel free to blame it on the author, or whoever added the protection and broke the code in the process (it is a possibility when there is a rush to put the game onto shelves asap).
As for v1.4e: coming soon.
Old 05 July 2003, 01:37   #19
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Re: How accurate is the emulation?

Quote:
Originally posted by manicx
Unfortunately some people believe that the speed is not the same. Timing is not the same. I do have a pretty old AMD Thunderbird at 1.2 with 512Mb of memory, ATI RAdeon 7200 and SBLive 5.1!
I *LOVE* these "bug reports"!
"not the same"

It matters a lot if speed is too SLOW (usually PC issue, so buy a faster PC™) or too FAST (this *IS* WinUAE problem, maybe timing in one or more chip emulation routines is calculated wrongly).
So, is it too slow or too fast then?

'Buy a faster PC' is (c) by Toni Wilen. Lefties preserved. Used without permission.
Old 05 July 2003, 02:01   #20
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Blah, blah, blah....... Anco protection track (written by Rob Northen Computing fact fans) is nothing special, but..... and its a big but..... the way that the programmers for Anco were taught to check for it is better! I.e. The protection track read code is shit, but the checksums that follow are good!

The WHDLoad version, whilst not addressing all things KO2, does in fact address all things Anco Protection. The KO2 Beta WHDLoad version ABSOLUTELY has NO Copy protection left in it. Oracle missed one copy protection code which affects Goal mouth code.

Its not that I am not interested, its because I have lost all code for KO2 and unless someone can PROVE that the WHDLoad version doesn't address this penalty dribble problem, I won`t release an ADF of the game.

I mean, no one has said so far.... "Galahad, you WHDLoad version solves all penalty dribble problems"..... so, as I stated in the readme for KO2, unless I get a bug report, just how the hell can I fix a bug?????

Read the 'readme' and act upon it, I'm no fucking mind reader!!!

Apologies, I have had a quite a bit to drink, Help me to help YOU!
AdSense AdSense