English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 July 2003, 16:16   #41
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

The only backup programs I ever used were TapeStore, QuarterBack, and AmiBack. The latter being one of the more cruel programs I have ever used. I also have is my junk Tapeworm, Mr. Backup Pro, and Byte & Back. Probably others on Utils Packs. I'll load up what I have and see if anything resembles what you describe. Sounds easier than digging through compacts looking for Superback...
AdSense AdSense  
Old 18 July 2003, 17:29   #42
FromWithin
Music lord

Send a message via ICQ to FromWithin Send a message via AIM to FromWithin Send a message via MSN to FromWithin Send a message via Yahoo to FromWithin
Can you post any replies to the backup program to the other thread and replies about the content to this thread.

Ta.

Badge goes to the first person to upload the correct program to the zone.
Old 19 July 2003, 20:42   #43
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Question

FromWithin's mentioning of Infestation brought back some memories-although I didn't own it,I well remember the Zzap! review & later on the solution guide. The solution mentioned something about plans for a "Mother alien" having to be dropped & staff writer Robin Hogg mentioning it was a real shame given the "Aliens" atmosphere/overtones-I did it regulary in action for a little while as it always would be running at the local retail department store on the A500, great helmut/breathing FX! I wonder if any thoughts were ever considered for an expansion disk/sequel?
Old 20 July 2004, 12:19   #44
redblade
Zone Friend

So where are these developer files now =]
Old 20 July 2004, 12:26   #45
FromWithin
Music lord

Send a message via ICQ to FromWithin Send a message via AIM to FromWithin Send a message via MSN to FromWithin Send a message via Yahoo to FromWithin
In boxes in my flat.
Old 21 July 2004, 04:30   #46
redblade
Zone Friend

Er are there just pictures, or are their developer tools and source code as well, that could be recycled to similar arcade/platform engines.
Old 21 July 2004, 12:46   #47
FromWithin
Music lord

It's mostly artwork. Some apps and stuff. I can't recall much source code, and what I can was PC stuff.
Old 21 July 2004, 13:34   #48
Akira

Did NOBODy ever upload the program I mentioned? Shit. I wish I still had it, I guess it got wiped in one of my many HD crashes otherwise I would have it for upload. IU'm sure this is the program you need.
Old 21 July 2004, 13:53   #49
FromWithin
Music lord

I found the backup program I needed (Superback). That's not a problem anymore. It was on some website somewhere. The backup prog was for the backup disks I have of a couple of the artist's hard drives.
Old 21 July 2004, 13:55   #50
FromWithin
Music lord

My Amiga should be networked to my new PC soon, so I could start tranferring when I have some spare time. What happened before was that Windows2000 decided to give up one day and remove all of my network connections from itself. I couldn't get them back and couldn't reformat because of the stuff I needed that was installed on there.
Old 21 July 2004, 14:04   #51
redblade
Zone Friend

ah excellent, so the apps and artwork is still coming =].

Would be interesting to know what apps? Custom music trackers?? pic convertors???

What kind of PC source code ?
Old 21 July 2004, 14:23   #52
AmiGer

I'm very interested in all kinds of source code for all systems. I would be happy if you could make them available to us.
Old 21 July 2004, 15:06   #53
FromWithin
Music lord

Custom music trackers? You've got to be joking. I never got custom anything. I used Protracker. I can't recall any custom tools at all. Psygnosis was pretty stingy. Programmer time for audio? I don't think so. Me and Tim Wright had to bring our own music gear into work because they wouldn't buy us any music gear. Then we got broken into and it all got stolen.
"Why did you have your own equipment in work, we're not insured for it!"
"Because you wouldn't buy us what we need to DO OUR JOB!"
"Oh..."
It was not some utopia. At times it was amazing, but a large percentage of the time was absolute hell on earth thanks to utterly appalling management.
Old 21 July 2004, 17:14   #54
kriz

intersting stuff, bring it on FromWithin !!!!
Old 22 July 2004, 06:27   #55
redblade
Zone Friend

AmiGer. I'm busy trying to AGA fix some of the source on the AmigaFormat coverdisks, so when that is done it will be submitted. I also managed to find on the inet, a LSD tutorial to coding shoot em ups. that is AGa compatible and will be uploaded once i get a monitor for my amiga 1200.

From within: At least you got to run off with lots of Disks =]. But bummer about getting your own music stuff stolen.

I know a guy who lives in PA USA, and he got lots of stuff from the Amiga USA when they were closing down. Even some rare unreleased stuff but he binned most of it, and now he was quite pissed of at it.

Apparently they (commodore usa) had developed some kinda format, that allowed 28 frames on a 7.14mhz amiga, I don't know what the quality was like tho, but I'll ask him.

As for lousy management. They should have engineers / scientists at the top not useless fucking commerce people!!!
Old 22 July 2004, 09:46   #56
AmiGer

Redblade, mainly I meant FromWithin's sources from his loft find. But of course I'm also interested in your sources... particulary in the AGA fixing things...
Old 22 July 2004, 12:09   #57
FromWithin
Music lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade
As for lousy management. They should have engineers / scientists at the top not useless fucking commerce people!!!
Absolutely not. That would be disatrous. They should have managers who understand the job they are doing; technical people with people skills. Management is a skill. It's incredible how many people don't understand this. Being a good manager requires talent for management.

The problem at Psygnosis, and probably a fair bit of the game industry at the time was that there needed to be more managers as teams expanded, but there was nobody to fill the roles. Managers of the time came mostly from two places. One was from other industries (such as the video industry), where people knew quite literally nothing about the game industry but arrogantly seemed to think that they knew everything. The other was by taking existing veteran programmers and promoting them. Unfortunately, they were geeks who had no people or management skills, and they were stopped from doing the thing that they were best at: programming. Thus they were wasted and destructive.
Old 22 July 2004, 13:30   #58
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromWithin
The problem at Psygnosis, and probably a fair bit of the game industry at the time...........
Computer industry.

The whole industry is like this.

Old 22 July 2004, 13:46   #59
FromWithin
Music lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Computer industry.
The whole industry is like this.
Not really. In the general computer industry, although there may be a shortage to a certain extent, you can offer a high wage to entice the best managers. The point I was trying to make was that in the game industry at the time, there were no managers because it was all very new. It didn't matter how much you offered, you couldn't entice the ideal manager because one didn't exist. There wasn't anybody available who had experience managing really big game projects as there hadn't been any really big game projects.

Everybody was clueless really.
Old 22 July 2004, 15:08   #60
Jim

Sorry for dragging this OT....

Well, I've worked in many different industries in computers.

You would think a large financial company would be run in a professional way, so did I before joining. This place had a staff of about 5,000 and over 300 IT/techie people.

In this particular company the best coders are made into managers although I knew one coder who refused to manage and his salary suffered because of it - company policy puts everyone into certain salary grades, computer programmers can only reach certain grades however good they are. But if this guy was happy to sacrifice salary for what he wanted to do then good luck to him. Most people naturally took the money and moved up the ladder.

The company did this I guess becuase it is cheaper to recruit newer positions from within and they presumed that technical knowledge of the system would be a better requirement than basic interpersonal skills.

How can you make someone who spent most of thier life sat in front of a screen and talking to nobody suddenly have the job if giving staff appraisals etc... People are natural managers/leaders however much the company tries to spend on management training, which in most organisations is 0.

So I witnessed in my 4 years at the company at least 10 people go up this route. With the exception of a few most were crap managers, with undermotivated staff.

How did the company address this? Recruit more managers from within. So before the avergae coder and the Director of IT there would be about 4 levels of "management", middle-management and all that rubbish. This resulted in code signoff taking at least twice as long and bright ideas never reaching the ears of those who could authorise development time on them, which in turn turns your best programmers into pure doers rather than thinkers, therefor the whole system/project you are developing suffers.

This was just an example of one company, I have seen many more.

AdSense AdSense