English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 27 June 2003, 01:52   #1
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
A1200 accelerator

Well after finding somebody who had the hard to find silver box amiga to vga buffered adapter Part 390682-01 and another mouse so my a1200 and a500 dont have to fight over it I found this:

Blizzard 1230IV Turbo board, accelerator Phase 5 for A 1200 + 68030 50 mhz,
+ 68882 50 mhz + SCSI - + User Manual for 1230 do not need disk.

I am pretty sure I will buy it since its cheap enough. What I want to know is will my stock a1200 power supply take a shit on me with this thing?

The guy said he doesnt have the driver disk or manual for the SCSI option (but said it was new just got lost in moving). Anybody have the pdf manual and drivers?

How much memory should I add to this thing? Think it takes 128 or 256mb ram (with scsi option)? It better fit in the trapdoor!

I am using OS 3.0, should work ok with this addon I hope.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 27 June 2003, 01:59   #2
rattus

It will work - but good luck getting that fat bastard to fit! My 1230-IV/16MB still sticks out of the trapdoor a bit

lots of pics and info about the 1230 can be found at www.amiga-hardware.com
Old 27 June 2003, 10:40   #3
ant512

The Blizzard 1230-IV takes 128MB SIMMs, as does the SCSI-II module. Note that DCE Blizzards and other P5 models (ie. 1240 and 1260) only take 64MB SIMMs.

You don't actually need a driver for this - the 1230scsi.device loads itself into ROM automatically. You may need the SCSI utilities supplied with it, though, but you can get these from the net. The accelerator does not need a disk at all.

You shouldn't have any problems fitting it in a desktop case unless you buy outsized SIMMs.

Some utilities you may find useful are BlazeWCP and FBlit from the Aminet - you'll really notice the speed increase in Workbench if you use these with an accelerated Amiga.
Old 27 June 2003, 23:10   #4
Unknown_K

Whats a good demo/app/game to test this board out with?
Old 27 June 2003, 23:40   #5
ant512

It should play Doom at about full speed - I recommend "Doom Attack", because it has extras features like a jump key, look up/down keys, etc. ADoom might be slightly faster on an 030.

AB3D is fantastic on an 030. The WHDLoad version of Stunt Car Racer with the turbo patch activated is also good fun. Other games are Breathless, Gloom, Hexen, Heretic and Legends of Valour. You can get F1GP to run faster if you use the editor from the Aminet.

You'll be able to play MP3s, albeit at low quality, with MPEGA from the Aminet. OctaMED Sound Studio will can take advantage of the faster CPU and extra memory in "mixing" mode, and play back longer samples and more tracks in 14-bits. Anything running from a hard disk will load faster, the computer will boot more quickly, Workbench won't be so sluggish, higher resolutions in DPaint become less frustrating to use, 3D applications will render faster, Wordworth 7 will run...

Oh, and don't forget the emulators. AmiMasterGear, AmiGameBoy and AmiMSX will all run at full-speed. DreAm (Dragon emu) will also run at 50fps, as will ZXAM (Speccy emu), CBSpeccy, Wzonka-Lad, A/NES (non-CGX version) and CoolNESs. PC-Task and PCx will be vaguely useful at emulating 4MHz PCs.
Old 28 June 2003, 00:21   #6
Unknown_K

Quote:
Originally posted by ant512
It should play Doom at about full speed - I recommend "Doom Attack", because it has extras features like a jump key, look up/down keys, etc. ADoom might be slightly faster on an 030.

AB3D is fantastic on an 030. The WHDLoad version of Stunt Car Racer with the turbo patch activated is also good fun. Other games are Breathless, Gloom, Hexen, Heretic and Legends of Valour. You can get F1GP to run faster if you use the editor from the Aminet.

You'll be able to play MP3s, albeit at low quality, with MPEGA from the Aminet. OctaMED Sound Studio will can take advantage of the faster CPU and extra memory in "mixing" mode, and play back longer samples and more tracks in 14-bits. Anything running from a hard disk will load faster, the computer will boot more quickly, Workbench won't be so sluggish, higher resolutions in DPaint become less frustrating to use, 3D applications will render faster, Wordworth 7 will run...

Oh, and don't forget the emulators. AmiMasterGear, AmiGameBoy and AmiMSX will all run at full-speed. DreAm (Dragon emu) will also run at 50fps, as will ZXAM (Speccy emu), CBSpeccy, Wzonka-Lad, A/NES (non-CGX version) and CoolNESs. PC-Task and PCx will be vaguely useful at emulating 4MHz PCs.
I didnt want an accelerator to play pc games like Doom/hexen/heretic etc ( have custom built retro pc for those). I dont really care about mp3's either.

Having faster high resolutions on amigaos would be nice. I do want to play the aga games without slowdowns like in the stock a1200. The HD in the unit now is a 3 or 4gb IBM and its much faster then the stock 80mb drive.
Old 28 June 2003, 04:28   #7
Akira

Careful there...

As Galahad and Codetapper mentioned before, sometimes the 030 will make games go even slower than on a stock 1200, because the blitter goes much slower than the 030 and the sync is sent to the trashcan.

But most games run swell. This is a GREAT card for WHDLoad games.
Old 28 June 2003, 05:48   #8
Unknown_K

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Careful there...

As Galahad and Codetapper mentioned before, sometimes the 030 will make games go even slower than on a stock 1200, because the blitter goes much slower than the 030 and the sync is sent to the trashcan.

But most games run swell. This is a GREAT card for WHDLoad games.
The WHDload games are of interest
Old 28 June 2003, 09:34   #9
Akira

I think the best Amiga platform for gaming is an 030 A1200 with 128MB of RAM and an HD as big as you can get into OS3.0

You can play everything with WHDLoad and this beast
Old 28 June 2003, 09:48   #10
Unknown_K

Why 128mb of ram?? Do you use anywhere near that in games?
Old 28 June 2003, 11:30   #11
rattus

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
yeah, isn't that a bit much? I only have 16MB and everything seems okay... or am I missing out on something?

But a big HDD is a must for all your HD games/demos and junk just remember the limits (no more than 4GB total and partitions no bigger than 2GB)! Mine is a nice slimline 1.6GB model

And regarding those semi-3D/polygonal games ala AlienBreed3D and co: I tried out Breathless and GloomDeluxe using my accelerator but they still ran the same as on the stock '020 amiga (read: shite and unplayable) however these were relatively old disk copies.... I will have to try out the nifty WHDload versions to see if there is improvement like you say

EDIT: I also need to pick up an FPU chip as my 1230-IV didn't come with one installed!
Old 28 June 2003, 20:05   #12
ant512

Quote:
Originally posted by rattus
I tried out Breathless and GloomDeluxe using my accelerator but they still ran the same as on the stock '020 amiga (read: shite and unplayable) however these were relatively old disk copies.... I will have to try out the nifty WHDload versions to see if there is improvement like you say
Gloom Deluxe was really intended as an upgrade for power users, with 040/060 cards, graphics boards, etc. You can get it running at a reasonable speed with some tinkering, though. It'll also work on an expanded A500/A600 (minimum of a 68020).

Though the original Gloom doesn't look as good, it'll run full speed on an 030. Having said that, though, I seem to remember that Gloom Deluxe runs at a playable rate in full-screen mode on my 030 if I change the resolution to 2x1...

As for Breathless, it was actually bundled with the 1230-IV for a time. You're not missing anything if you can't get it to run, though.

WHDLoad installs of these games won't help the speed at all.
Old 28 June 2003, 20:59   #13
Unknown_K

Well now that my A1200 has/will have an 030/50 +fpu probably 64mb ram, 3-4gb IDE drive, NEC 3ds monitor, multiple good joysticks, SCSI option, pcmcia network card, and external cdroms I wonder if my upgrades for that machine are about done.

I kept my A500 pretty much stock with 1011 external drive, a501 memory upgrade, and 1084 monitor along with 60+ boxed games for it.

Not too bad of an amiga retro collection since I started on the amiga (about the time I joined here and at EMU-uk).
Old 30 June 2003, 07:45   #14
Akira

Quote:
The more the merrier! No, it's not really utilized, but since it's gonna be nice for some demos and apps.

32MB is just the right ammount of memory for games. I don't think you'll ever need more. Imagine the biggest Amiga game ever, must've had 12 or so disks. even when some disks might have contained more than one megabyte in them, you'll still won't reach 32MB methinks.
Old 30 June 2003, 08:08   #15
Unknown_K

Does WHDload load the whole game into memory? Most games on floppy didnt install all the parts untill you got to a different level.

I should have a few 16mb or 8mb simms to try out , the unit is shipping tomorrow so I should have it before the end of next week (coming from canada)
Old 30 June 2003, 22:27   #16
Akira

Quote:
Does WHDload load the whole game into memory?
Yes it does, if you have enough memory. For low mem users you can chose not too, but one of WHDLoad's greatest points is this. It's like playing aconsole game! ZERO loading times. Imagine playing Indiana Jones and teh Fate of Atlantis with zero loading times and more speed. PLayability increases, at least, tenfold!

Therefore, I recommend you getting hold of at least a 32MB stick
Old 01 July 2003, 02:12   #17
Unknown_K

Stick out tongue

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Yes it does, if you have enough memory. For low mem users you can chose not too, but one of WHDLoad's greatest points is this. It's like playing aconsole game! ZERO loading times. Imagine playing Indiana Jones and teh Fate of Atlantis with zero loading times and more speed. PLayability increases, at least, tenfold!

Therefore, I recommend you getting hold of at least a 32MB stick
I think I can use 2 simms since I am getting the scsi opotion so should be able to scrounge 32mb or can just order 2x64 and get 128mb

I recieved the amiga vga adapter from the same place today (and he said my blizzard shipped today) its nice using a vga monitor on the 1200 that can do all the aga resolutions and allow precise screen adjustments in all directions (if needed)
AdSense AdSense