English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you think of this guy?
I think this guy talks sense 2 4.65%
I think hes a penis 22 51.16%
I think he has some valid points 3 6.98%
I cant be bothered to vote :\ 16 37.21%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 June 2003, 00:27   #21
Drake1009

The games are designed for the same age group as the games were designed for back in the greatness period of the Amiga.

The only difference is that kids now a days are a bit more spoiled and as such can't be bothered to play a game which requires them to replay a game level many times, even if there's quick save included too.

It also has to do with the fact that there are now a wider option for difficulty levels. Not every old game had difficulty levels but now a days most games do have levels, something which is nice for the companies since it allows them to appeal to a broader segment as the beginners can pick up the game and so can the hardcore gamers and noone will say it's too easy or too hard and not worth the money because of the difficulty. At least I think that's the philosophy.

I think though that quick save is a sort of cheat mode in itself, at least in action games. But then again, that's just because I'm not so spoiled as to expect quick save. It's a good way to make it through a game quickly as you don't have to replay much if you just save regularly. I've seen gamers play a game saving every 30 seconds. I myself do quicksave at times, usually I forget or go at least 5 minutes without a quicksave. Only time I quicksave more often is if the same point somewhere has been giving me trouble and I've tried way too many times to get past the place.

The games being too easy I don't know about though. Take serious sam. If you just select the right difficulty mode I don't think the gamer is born who could complete the game easily on the hardest level without some kind of cheat.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 23 June 2003, 06:36   #22
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Question Where are the puzzle, platform and non FPS shoot-em-up games?

Firstly let me say that I think the guy is a complete idiot...

I notice the twat did not include any decent platform or puzzle games (Bubble Bobble, Lemmings, Pang, Puzznic, Rainbow Islands, Rodland, Snow Bros etc). I prefer these types of games to have cartoony graphics and I do not know of any new version of these games anyway. Didn't Psygnosis do a Lemmings in 3D which bombed? Some games just do not work in 3D and yet the guy ignores that fact.

Also I cannot think of any non FPS shooter to match whatever that side on dragon game is. What exactly is the new version of classics like Flying Shark, R-Type, Silkworm, SWIV? The answer is they don't make those games anymore.

I haven't played either of the games in his 4th case study - The Hobbit vs Phantasy Star Online - but if you swap the Hobbit for a game like Monkey Island then I would much rather play Monkey Island from looking at the screenshots.

Space Harrier versus Rez just shows that better graphics do not make a game play better.

And while those graphics on that fighting game might be amazing, after about 2 minutes the gimmick wears off and I would probably rather play a fair game like International Karate. New beat-em-ups tend to have completely unfair combatants with one player able to do "cheat" moves like fireballs from miles away.
Old 23 June 2003, 10:11   #23
LaundroMat

If I'm not mistaken, this is a rip of another article that appeared somewhere else first (I think somethingawful.com).

The article was meant to be sarcastic.
Old 23 June 2003, 13:29   #24
Deadraque

Well not much to say, he just don't understand the good times we had (probably one of the best times) but don't worry when that guy is getting older, in about 20 years he will say that Pokemon Gold was the best game ever and another stupid site will say that the new games are better.

Anyway give me 50 basic (doom clones and more) new games and give me a game as Dune, Syndicate, Elite, Kick off 2, my choice would be made very fast even if some games of the new generation are great like Medal of Honor and Mafia, but makes me sick that we need to wait 6-8 months to have 1 good game and then you finish it in +/- 20 hours... Nope give me Day of the tentacle or operation stealth and many many others...

Old 23 June 2003, 13:30   #25
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

Hey, I play old, I play new. What's the problem?

Last night I played; on UAE, breakout, Galaxia, EOB2 (Thanks Steve), and on the same PC - Klondike Deluxe (AKA KlondikeAGA), James Bond; Nightfire, Age of Empires; The Conquerors, The Matrix, and also watched Queen of the Dammed again in SVCD.

I'd say that covers just about every range of game play from old, to just out now (and shows just how sad I am...), it's not the whole range of stuff I've got on UAE, or the A4K, or the PC, or the Linux box, but it covers what I like - apart from Max Payne, UT, Q3, Unreal2, Serious Sam 1 & 2 and most of all GTA3 and Vice City which involve my favorate pass-time of running around, shooting stuff.

What can I say? I'm a games player. Old or new, as long as they're fun... and involve wholesale killing
Old 23 June 2003, 15:09   #26
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I laughed through about 85% of the page. It could only be satire. It's the kind of thing I would do (and have done, in old band newsletters). Apparently someone must be doing a parody of modern kids. It's a bit over the top at times, but rings all too true at others.
Old 23 June 2003, 15:41   #27
Drake1009

Problem is I don't have a doubt that there are kids who feel exactly that way about it. It's over the top, it's probably satire but I know there are kids who would think it the truth without question.
Old 24 June 2003, 12:54   #28
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

Hey, if your going to censor everything that dumbasses might take the wrong way then...

[ DUMBASS CENSOR ]

...Instead, why not legislate against dumbasses? Get rid of the problem real fast! OK then? Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunation

PS when will game designers let me use the .75 recoiless semiauto, with the caseless, steel jacketed, gelcoats (also known as 'traceless truck stoppers')? When the rest of the world gets to where I was years ago! (I'm not mad, just inventive, honest!)
Old 24 June 2003, 13:32   #29
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Nob neck !!

What a complete PLANK!!!
Old 24 June 2003, 14:27   #30
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Well, its obvious he trying to be funny as try telling me that games "began" with Tomb Raider on the P$

Still...stupid joke anyway, i dont wanna read this crap whether its satire or not
Old 28 June 2003, 18:38   #31
Mr Softy

Send a message via ICQ to Mr Softy Send a message via MSN to Mr Softy
Unhappy

Well... :-/

Made me smile some times... funny if it is a fake, and sad if it's real...
Old 30 June 2003, 01:52   #32
misfit

Actually, he does have a couple of valid points. Retro-gaming is a bit...well, disappointing at times. Don`t get me wrong, I still love a lot of the old classics, but how the hell can games like Last Ninja, California Games and Gauntlet compete with System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Counter-strike, Zelda, Eco and Metroid Prime? They simply cannot.

It would be unfair to compare old games with old movies. A classic Kurosawa-film will always have the exellent story or Mifune going for it. What does the old games have? Graphics? Neeh. Sound? Gimme new remixes over the old beeps and blips. Playability? Ok, a lot of old games have plenty of playability, but still...how can they compare to the total package you get with an evening of CounterStrike? I have probably put more hours into CS than 75% of all c64-games put together. The adrenalin flowing, your winning-instincts taking over, sneaking around, waiting for your opponent to make a mistake...just a small sound is enough to locate him and give you the upper hand...I could go on and on :P

Actually, every now and then I flip through some old magazines like Zzap just to read about the old games. I look at what the reviewers write and say "yeah, I remember that as well...what a cool game." Unfortunately, If I actually sit down to play it, I go "hey, was it really this crap?".

Sad, but true. Still, retro is nice since it brings back a lot of happy childhood memories

Old 30 June 2003, 02:14   #33
th4t1guy

I thought CounterStrike was boring crap.

One thing that a lot of retro games have that most modern games don't is replayability. Most modern games are made to be played'n'pitched. For example, after I completed Half-Life, I had no desire to play through it again, and I was cursing Valve for the 10 hours they stole from me. However, after I completed Superfrog, I found myself coming back to it again and again. It also seems like retro-games had a higher difficulty, which would give you more of a sense of accomplishment when you beat the game. Modern games are made so that any fool will beat them, probably because the developers are afraid of getting bad reviews in some game mag that says "this game was too hard, and I'm too lazy to finish it 4 out of 10 stars". If the game does have a difficulty setting, it's usually ridiculously impossible and designed for coop, or it's easily defeated by mapping the autosave key to your extra mouse button.
Old 30 June 2003, 08:47   #34
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by misfit
Actually, he does have a couple of valid points. Retro-gaming is a bit...well, disappointing at times. Don`t get me wrong, I still love a lot of the old classics, but how the hell can games like Last Ninja, California Games and Gauntlet compete with System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Counter-strike, Zelda, Eco and Metroid Prime? They simply cannot.
There are better retro games than the ones you mention, and there are worst modern games than you mention. Your analogies are unfair.
Quote:
It would be unfair to compare old games with old movies. A classic Kurosawa-film will always have the exellent story or Mifune going for it. What does the old games have? Graphics? Neeh. Sound? Gimme new remixes over the old beeps and blips. Playability? Ok, a lot of old games have plenty of playability, but still...how can they compare to the total package you get with an evening of CounterStrike? I have probably put more hours into CS than 75% of all c64-games put together. The adrenalin flowing, your winning-instincts taking over, sneaking around, waiting for your opponent to make a mistake...just a small sound is enough to locate him and give you the upper hand...I could go on and on :P
Then please do. (not!) Yet more flawed, intentionally misleading comparisons. How about the graphic splendor of Rainbow Islands, Speedball II, SWIV, Shadow of ther Beast, Disposable Hero, etc. compared to flimsy, samey, blurry modern games that all use the same bloody engine? Beeps and blips? Obviously back in the day, you were playing CGA games on your IBM XT. Or something. Shoulda bought an Amiga. But whatever old system you were using, you are comparing its worst with your favorite modern games. If cheating is the only way to get your point across, you have no credibility.
Quote:
Actually, every now and then I flip through some old magazines like Zzap just to read about the old games. I look at what the reviewers write and say "yeah, I remember that as well...what a cool game." Unfortunately, If I actually sit down to play it, I go "hey, was it really this crap?".
Maybe your tastes have changed. Maybe you were playing it on an emulator in a tiny window and not on the real thing. Maybe your tastes have become soiled and you can only enjoy a game that looks like every other modern game. I know kids that are like that about modern rock. If the singer isn't screaming or whining, it sucks. If the band doesn't have tattoos and body piercings, they have no musical skills. If there is no hand holding a gun that bounces around pointing at blurry texture maps, the game sucks. (yawn)
Quote:
Sad, but true.
Sad, indeed.
Old 30 June 2003, 10:46   #35
gary

Quote:
Don`t get me wrong, I still love a lot of the old classics, but how the hell can games like Last Ninja, California Games and Gauntlet compete with System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Counter-strike, Zelda, Eco and Metroid Prime? They simply cannot.
That depends on the games and each individual persons taste.
In your opinion they cannot compete. Others would disagree.

Quote:
This has happened to me as well, but it is usually games that impressed me more by their technical achievements at the time (Last Ninja) rather than their playability that now seem crap (play for 20 seconds then try something else). However the games that had the best playability still stand the test of time despite their now primative graphics and sound - but this again depends on tastes.

I'll bet that many of the 'Top Ten Retro Games' lists I've seen posted over the internet would be changed significantly if people tried playing those games *now* instead of relying on their memories.

I can't say that all new games are crap and all old games were great, but it does look as though the games industry as it is now has far few people willing to take risks with something original and far too many companies churning out 'clones'. I wonder if this type of situation is what happened in the leadup to the video game crash of the early eighties? Could history repeat itself?
Old 01 July 2003, 01:07   #36
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:

It would be unfair to compare old games with old movies. A classic Kurosawa-film will always have the exellent story or Mifune going for it. What does the old games have? Graphics? Neeh. Sound? Gimme new remixes over the old beeps and blips. Playability? Ok, a lot of old games have plenty of playability, but still...how can they compare to the total package you get with an evening of CounterStrike?
)
Soul. Soul baby. I know, computer games and OS's are meant to be binary codes and what not.
But Chaos Engine, Sonic, Sabre Team, etc have soul.
Counter Fart is the same ol same ol same ol point a gun run around vomit.

My stomach turns just looking at the trash.
Old 01 July 2003, 01:08   #37
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
There are better retro games than the ones you mention, and there are worst modern games than you mention. Your analogies are unfair.

Then please do. (not!) Yet more flawed, intentionally misleading comparisons. How about the graphic splendor of Rainbow Islands, Speedball II, SWIV, Shadow of ther Beast, Disposable Hero, etc. compared to flimsy, samey, blurry modern games that all use the same bloody engine? Beeps and blips? Obviously back in the day, you were playing CGA games on your IBM XT. Or something. Shoulda bought an Amiga. But whatever old system you were using, you are comparing its worst with your favorite modern games. If cheating is the only way to get your point across, you have no credibility.

Maybe your tastes have changed. Maybe you were playing it on an emulator in a tiny window and not on the real thing. Maybe your tastes have become soiled and you can only enjoy a game that looks like every other modern game. I know kids that are like that about modern rock. If the singer isn't screaming or whining, it sucks. If the band doesn't have tattoos and body piercings, they have no musical skills. If there is no hand holding a gun that bounces around pointing at blurry texture maps, the game sucks. (yawn)

Sad, indeed.
Yeah what he said,
Amen
Old 01 July 2003, 02:39   #38
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

I have enjoyed reading through this thread and have some comments:

Halflife: Never want to play more than once
Counterstrike: Amazing!...for the first 5 minuets

If I had to rate my best games by longitivity and of course "Soul" i would have to say the best are:

Final Fantasy on the NES (not crappy PSX versions!)
Alien Breed - Tower Assult on the miggy
Network Games of Doom (must have wasted months of my life playing this!)
And probarbly Sleepwalker!

Now I have established myself as a total freak I will bid you all good day
Old 01 July 2003, 05:26   #39
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally posted by Mick_AKA

Final Fantasy on the NES (not crappy PSX versions!)

Hear hear!
The PSX versions are bloated, annoying rigid souless. The NES and Super NES versions were delights!
Old 01 July 2003, 06:03   #40
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Ah man, the graphics and gameplay on the snes versions were just brilliant and there was olso Mystic Quest wich was fantastic.
Unfortunately we still dont seem to be out of the "better graphics, less gameplay" rut of the mid 90s.
AdSense AdSense