English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 June 2003, 21:17   #1
BippyM
Global Moderator

Amiga PPC etc...

Right if you viewed my SWAP thread you'll know I now own a PPC-BVision a1200.. anyway a few questions because I have never owned an Amiga this souped up (Was an 040/25 before!)

anyway Questions are:

1). I use an SVGA monitor.. correct? if so how do I use progs that don't support native for GFX screens (Games, early bootup etc..)

2). Games.. how? WHDLoad is a big reason for owning this setup.. are the Amiga native screens "promoted" to run on the svga monitor etc..

3). can I still use my 1084s monitor?

4). Is it possible to get hold of a PPC ver of UAE that uses the 020/040 chips on the mobo/blizzard so that EMULATING is not required (only unsupported functions etc..) this would mean games "Should" run at full speed (except old blitter or cpu instructions )

5). Is OS4.0 PPC only? or should I read up on this?

6). If os4.0 is PPC only, then can the UAE use the 040 cpu (see Q 4) to emulate at full speed?

I'll think of more
AdSense AdSense  
Old 28 September 2006, 00:59   #2
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Ok I need the answer to 4 and 6 of bippyms' questions too!!

Damn 2003 bippym and no replies! Who did you piss off!
Old 28 September 2006, 08:48   #3
keropi

Quote:
1). I use an SVGA monitor.. correct? if so how do I use progs that don't support native for GFX screens (Games, early bootup etc..)
you will need a second monitor, think of it like having 2 gfx cards, an AGA one and a bvision one. when cgx loads , it kind of shuts down AGA, and bvision is used. when something uses AGA, then it becomes active and bvision goes to sleep.
also, if cgx is not loaded, then the ppc copies the aga data to the bvision (only 4 colors though if I remember correctly) , so the bvision can show all kind of boot menus, or even install an OS...

Quote:
2). Games.. how? WHDLoad is a big reason for owning this setup.. are the Amiga native screens "promoted" to run on the svga monitor etc..
like above, when aga/ecs/ocs is used, the bvision sleeps, and aga becomes active...

Quote:
3). can I still use my 1084s monitor?
sure, just plug it on the amiga video output, when bvision is used it will be all grey, and work fine when an AGA screen is used...
now u can understand why ppl like aga/rtg switchers...

Quote:
4). Is it possible to get hold of a PPC ver of UAE that uses the 020/040 chips on the mobo/blizzard so that EMULATING is not required (only unsupported functions etc..) this would mean games "Should" run at full speed (except old blitter or cpu instructions )
nope... I asked the same, uae would get ULTRA-complex... also look answer #6...

Quote:
5). Is OS4.0 PPC only? or should I read up on this?
for now it runs on bppc/csppc and the a1's...

Quote:
6). If os4.0 is PPC only, then can the UAE use the 040 cpu (see Q 4) to emulate at full speed?
no, when the PPC OS is loaded, the 68k part and the custom chips get disabled completelly...

ask more!
all these answers made my esspresso cold!
Old 28 September 2006, 09:59   #4
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Of course.. this all becomes one of the reasons why a Coldfire would be nice... if it could be made to work...
Old 28 September 2006, 10:26   #5
DDNI
Targ Explorer

I just bought a PPC card and am totally at sea!! I have LOADS of Qs

If using the fabled OS4, is there a PPC version of UAE? Is it needed?
Is it possible to disable the PPC part of the card and not the 040 part?

If operating system is WB3.9 is the PPC utilised and how?
Old 28 September 2006, 10:49   #6
keropi

don't ask OS4 q's , noone will tell u for sure, and it is pointless, it is not available now for classic amigas...
on classics, the ppc part is always "sleeping" unless a program tries to use it.
in 3.9 the ppc part is utilised in various ways, but you must install ppc parts... like datatypes (www.warpdt.co.uk are great ones) or maybe make amigaamp decode mp3's with the ppc...
think of it as a 2nd utility cpu for now...
Old 28 September 2006, 23:34   #7
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

So you got PPC now What.

Heys bippym, and all those that have the PPC processor and graphics solution.

1. Things for the CPU(s) to do

So yes, you have a fast processor but to process what?. well heres the in thing, as the PPC is a non-native processor, why not consider a non-native operating system ?

Have you thought about LINUX ?
Pros:
1. its very amiga-like and intuitive.
2. full graphics support including opengl libraries.
3. Open source emulators that run natively on LINUX inculding dosbox, snes, megadrive MAME the list goes on. (even a doom3 client out there)

4. FULL office suit that is compatible with M$ office apps.
5. A vibrant community of LINUX uses (not all wear cardigans and tanktops)
6. Developement suit of tools
7. many games are releasing linux clients of thier software so who knows
what you my run next.

Using Legacy: the reason the love is all thatis AMIGA

1. by using PPC/68k linux you can use an emulator for all that is amiga ?(its not much of as you already have the native hardware with just a libaray call away ) and before you know it a couple of keystrokes and you have the love of your life with workbench, apps and games.

2. using a simple partition, harddisk or even CF card, you can boot a native OS and play play play till your hearts content

Cons:
Can be a little tricky to set up and configure.

------------------------------------------------------

So you got that smarty graphics what about my native graphic amiga apps/games.

Yeah you could buy a second monitor, or even a flicker fixer, all this can be expensive and a pain to setup and or damage our beloved amiga's. so how about this as a solution.

1. but a TV tuner box for a CRT/TFT by using an RGB to svideo you will get an awsome signal wich is then sent to the TFT or CRT and looks nice and crisp you can get them from here for arround the 30 mark, certainly cheaper than a second monitor or flicker fixer.

2. to really make the most of this I would add Video switcher (or kvm), to allow simple easy switching between modes.. if your lucky you may find the onw that allows keybaord combination like i have (i will dig it out and get a name for you guys later) this makes its a nice smooth transition between gfx cards and native modes.

so i hope that this is some food for thought
Old 28 September 2006, 23:38   #8
kriz

Also remember to test Morph Os with it ; http://powerup.morphos-team.net/ Its free full ppc Os
Old 29 September 2006, 00:47   #9
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Zetro good reply many thanks!

I already have one of those tv tuner boxes, they are indeed great!
AdSense AdSense