English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 June 2003, 16:19   #21
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Question

@From Within. Although you've made mention of the in-house production approach of Psygnosis, a lot of games were the result of different development teams,(eg: DMA Design,Reflections etc.). Was there ever any spirit of competition/animosity/jealousy between any of the crews/programmers/artists etc., or was there a general level of friendliness?

I'm not meaning it in a derogatory means-for example I just recall reading a WIP once of Soccer Kid,there was references made to some friction between the teams of Soccer Kid & Arabian Knights.

And one other curiousity,what was the general view held by Psygnosis about Commodore,(eg:their tech support to games publishers etc.).

Despite the legendary ST/Amiga wars it seemed to be a generally held view by the programmers that the Amiga's success in Europe,(predominantly due to its gaming status), was in spite of CBM, not because of it!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 24 June 2003, 16:35   #22
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

Mmmmmm Loft.

Seriously though, where do I sell my soul to get an hour in that place? (And a bloody big bag )
Old 24 June 2003, 17:01   #23
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Big grin

:suspiciou

Remind me to NEVER hold a garage sale to you guys!:theparano

I dunno, in between From Within's infamous loft, John Twiddy's CD's/hard drive of Putty Squad, & whatever storage that the programmer of Amiga Snow Bros has his archives on, I'd fear they'd all be missing everything bar their tooth fillings after you lot would raid them!!
Old 24 June 2003, 17:05   #24
FromWithin
Music lord

Send a message via ICQ to FromWithin Send a message via AIM to FromWithin Send a message via MSN to FromWithin Send a message via Yahoo to FromWithin
No competition at all. None whatsoever. The only friction between development teams ever at Psygnosis was when an "ATG" (Advanced Technology Group) was formed to "research" new technology. The joke was that ATG stood for "another ten grand", and nothing ever really came out of the group at all. They lived in a room with a numeric keypad on the door. It was where the first Playstation (although it was still called the PSX at that point) went when it arrived - bigger than an office photocopier it was, with a massive row of fans all around the bottom.

Martyn Chudley (who became Bizarre Creations) and Traveller's Tales always had little jibing in-jokes at each other in their games. In Wiz'n'Liz, for example, there is a sub-game where you throw tomatoes at Andy Ingram and Jon Burton from Traveller's Tales, and in Puggsy you get to pick up a laser and shoot rabbits that look remarkably similar to the ones you have to pick up in Wiz'n'Liz. It was all in good humour though.

Commodore UK was pretty good, but don't forget that Shadow Of The Beast was what made the Amiga stand out from the crowd so we were seen as being pretty important. We got prototype machines and stuff. I never really heard anything bad about Commodore UK; they did a pretty good job I think, but it's possible that other developers may have a different view. They were still profitable when Commodore died and if you remember they attempted to buy out the company from the liquidators. It's possible the Amiga would have taken a very different path had they succeeded. Commodore in general, as we all know though, was awful.

After the death of Commodore, David Pleasance of Commodore UK went a produced a CD called "Everybody's Girlfriend" using all Amiga gear. I have the one that he sent to Ian Hetherington, our Managing Director. He plays a a pretty damn good spanish guitar!
Old 25 June 2003, 01:03   #25
th4t1guy

Wow.

Who owns the rights to all these unreleased games? Do you think there will ever be a chance that they will ever make it to the shelves, public domain, shareware, or whatever?
Old 25 June 2003, 01:57   #26
Parsec

I think the original Hired Guns is the featured retrogame review in this months Edge magazine.

Saw it in the newsagents the other day, it's a black cover I think.
Old 25 June 2003, 02:12   #27
FromWithin
Music lord

Send a message via ICQ to FromWithin Send a message via AIM to FromWithin Send a message via MSN to FromWithin Send a message via Yahoo to FromWithin
Quote:
Originally posted by th4t1guy
Who owns the rights to all these unreleased games?
Sony does.

Quote:

Do you think there will ever be a chance that they will ever make it to the shelves, public domain, shareware, or whatever?
Nope. Not without an unbelievable effort on somebody's part. There is probably very little record that they actually even exist. The first battle would be trying to convince somebody in legal that they exist at all. The second would be getting permission to go through thousands of old floppies, presuming that they haven't already been binned. The third would be to go through the floppies. The fourth would be getting permission to do anything with them, even if you found them.

As to unreleased stuff, finished (or very nearly finished) stuff I can think of right now: Indigo (Amiga/ST), No Escape (MegaCD), MegaApocalypse2 (SNES), Bill's Tomato Game(SNES/Megadrive), Hired Guns (PC), Ridge Racer (PC). There were probably more, those are just the ones I remember from the Liverpool office.
Old 25 June 2003, 10:41   #28
Marcuz
Wurk???

@From Within: hey thanks for the info about hired guns; the first screenshots that tou've reported were the ones i had seen back then, from wich the misunderstanding that led me to think that it had been released.

btw... would'nt be cool a collection of themed cds one for every developer that made the story of amiga?
Old 15 August 2003, 19:42   #29
Dalai

Does anyone know anything about this?

http://www.arabuusimiehet.com/~break...ge.php?id=2548
Old 15 August 2003, 21:08   #30
TheBoss

Send a message via ICQ to TheBoss
Quote:
Originally posted by FromWithin
Good news for interested parties...one of my cohorts is sending me the PC sequel to Hired Guns, called.....Hired Guns! The name was changed from Winter's Fury at the last minute, before it got killed.

It's a beta version. It never made it to a final master but got quite close. On 2CDs.

I shall keep you informed as to when it arrives...
Damn me wants this gem!
Old 19 August 2003, 13:36   #31
Dalai

Just played Hired Guns co-op ALL weekend (with a couple of modest breaks to sleep when we realised it was 5am and we kept getting killed by ED-209's due to dulled senses ), all the way from start to finish. Absolutely fantastic game.

10/10, 5 stars, 100%.
AdSense AdSense