English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 June 2003, 20:26   #1
th4t1guy

Whatever happened to Hired Guns???

I remember a few years back reading an article and seeing screenshots of a remake of Hired Guns that used the Unreal engine. They were planning coop play as well as a few other things and it looked really promising. Anyone remember this?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 18 June 2003, 23:52   #2
Marcuz
Wurk???

yes! i do! i think that after rumors of cancellation and a long wait in noneless it has been released under another name. but i can't remember what was it. still i think it had received some bad acceptance from the computer mags.
Old 19 June 2003, 00:22   #3
Drake1009

I thought it was completely cancelled. I had braced myself that the closest I'd get to see a game a bit like hired guns would be the X-com first person shooter which featured your screen being devided up into smaller screens to watch your teammates and the ability to switch who you were controlling.

That game apparently got canned too
Old 19 June 2003, 14:26   #4
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

I remember seeing a small article on the PC "sequel" of sorts a few years ago whilst visiting the dentist and killing time by reading PC mags (something that i dont normally do)

Ill be honest and say im more interested in asking "whatever happened to Hired Guns AGA???"
Old 19 June 2003, 14:32   #5
Tim Janssen

Lightbulb Hired Guns PC

Hired Guns was announced in the preview sections of PC Gameplay (Dutch games mag) twice the past six years.
The first time was around 1997, the second time in 1999. Hired Guns looked very different in the two previews. The first preview featured the reknown screen consisting of four windows. In the second preview the game looked much like a Half-Life/Counterstrike clone.
I think the game was canned because Psygnosis (=Sony) pulled out of the PC market in 1999/2000.
Old 19 June 2003, 15:07   #6
Marcuz
Wurk???

so maybe i'm wrong. but i still think that i've read something about it on a italian pc mag 1 year ago or some time before
Old 19 June 2003, 17:05   #7
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

This rings a bell, I tried to play hired guns the other day but one of my disks is currupt, I remember an edition of CVG in about 1997/98 having a "Sneak Preview" of some such thing, I remember a very similar game called "Phomax" being posted at freeloader.com quite a whyle ago but i never downloaded it.

Would love to see an updated version of the game but not sure about a single screen FPS though.
Old 20 June 2003, 21:12   #8
FromWithin
Music lord

Send a message via ICQ to FromWithin Send a message via AIM to FromWithin Send a message via MSN to FromWithin Send a message via Yahoo to FromWithin
Hired Guns was almost completely finished. It was called "Winter's Fury", and copies are floating about among the original developers. I keep meaning to try to get hold of it.

It got killed right at the last minute. The reason why escapes me, but I think it might have been because it's release was round about when we switched over to doing 100% Playstation stuff.
Old 23 June 2003, 20:59   #9
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

So, FromWithin - whatever happened to Hired Guns AGA? Was it near completion?
Old 23 June 2003, 21:10   #10
FromWithin
Music lord

Send a message via ICQ to FromWithin Send a message via AIM to FromWithin Send a message via MSN to FromWithin Send a message via Yahoo to FromWithin
Not as far as I'm aware. There was never any talk of it. It would only have been exactly the same as the original but with 256 colour graphics anyway. Scott Johnston was a supreme programmer and big Amiga fan, so he probably would have liked to have done it, but there was never serious talk of a release.
Old 24 June 2003, 00:03   #11
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Oh well...guess i could always look at the PC version to get an idea what it might have been like. Still, thanks for the info.
Just how many other Amiga games became still born at your time at Psygnosis then?
Old 24 June 2003, 01:37   #12
FromWithin
Music lord

Good news for interested parties...one of my cohorts is sending me the PC sequel to Hired Guns, called.....Hired Guns! The name was changed from Winter's Fury at the last minute, before it got killed.

It's a beta version. It never made it to a final master but got quite close. On 2CDs.

I shall keep you informed as to when it arrives...
Old 24 June 2003, 01:57   #13
FromWithin
Music lord

And I should also add...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/g/HiredGuns-705926/
and
http://www.pcparadox.com/Screenshots...redGuns2.shtml

And for those who don't know, and maybe are not even aware that it exists, here is where you can download the Amiga HiredGuns map editor:
http://www.efd.lth.se/~f98ani/amiga/hiredguns/

I spent many an hour inside this fine program. Unfortunately, I can't find any trace of the maps I created. One or two of mine maybe in the game somewhere (I did get a credit for level design), but I've never seen one. The thing was, I was supposed to quick multi-player maps and ended up doing a couple of huge puzzling monsters, so I'm not entirely sure if any of them went in the final game. They may lurk on somebody's old Amiga harddrive somewhere, but not mine.
Old 24 June 2003, 02:40   #14
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

A question

for FromWithin:

What the HELL posessed Psygnosis to release the spawn of satans pants that was Dracula and The Last Action Hero?
Old 24 June 2003, 03:55   #15
FromWithin
Music lord

Re: A question

Quote:
Originally posted by Galahad/FLT
for FromWithin:

What the HELL posessed Psygnosis to release the spawn of satans pants that was Dracula and The Last Action Hero?
That was when Sony bought us, tried to merge us with Sony Imagesoft (check out the Sony Imagesoft logos on some of the banners in the original Wipeout) and got us doing loads of film licences, mostly for the MegaCD. For some reason, the MegaCD was *the* big thing because it had a CD drive. It may well have been just to see how we would cope with doing games on CD, to be ready for the Playstation (after all, we were developing CD games years before most people with Microcosm on the FM Towns), but that's just pure speculation on my part. It was insane, but we did get to see previews of some of the films . The Amiga conversions were just off-shoots from the MegaCD ones because we had the licence, usually done by a third-party. We did games of Dracula, Frankenstein, Last Action Hero, No Escape (unreleased), and Cliffhanger (although there was no MegaCD version of that).
Old 24 June 2003, 04:22   #16
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

No Escape

The Ray Liotta film? I dont suppose the disks for that one are lurking around are they?

Not forgetting the CDTV which Psygnosis were first on. Pity Planetside never made it further than a flashy demo.
Old 24 June 2003, 04:36   #17
FromWithin
Music lord

No Escape was indeed the Ray Liotta one. It was just for the MegaCD. The game was pretty impressive for the time. There was a massive big rendered 3D island landscape which streamed in off CD in real-time as you wandered around it (the screen scrolled). The island data had height information stored in it too. It was like an RPG thing. Unfortunately, by the time it was supposed to be released, it had loads of bugs in. The bug-fixing took another three months, by which time the film had been and gone and the Mega-CD had dropped out of the market.

There's probably a CD lurking in the loft in the Psygnosis building somewhere. The loft is full of old crap.

Planetside was just a render because we could. But what would the game have been? I'm sure it would have been rubbish if it had ever got made. It was just artists playing around with rendering ideas really. I've probably got some of the cockpit graphics and stuff for it in the boxes of disks in the loft. I'll have look next time.
Old 24 June 2003, 06:39   #18
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Wow, all this stuff! Every day it's new inroads into the Psygnosis story. Once all of those disks get converted, I can sense a new CD being spread amongst collectors called The Psygnosis Story... All the games, all the demos, loads of graphics, insights. Now here is a CD32 project that someone should create. An interactive guide to Psygnosis!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	psygnosiscd32.gif
Views:	476
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	5258  
Old 24 June 2003, 13:29   #19
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Quote:
Originally posted by FromWithin
There's probably a CD lurking in the loft in the Psygnosis building somewhere. The loft is full of old crap.
*dreams of scouring the Psygnosis building loft*
Old 24 June 2003, 14:50   #20
Drake1009

Mmmm scouring.
AdSense AdSense