Old 22 July 2003, 23:31   #42
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Re: A historic Amiga on sale!

Quote:
Originally posted by manicx
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4598

It seems to me that Clickboom is kicking away all Amiga equipment!!!
Yes

But the price they got for it seems to be the highest EVER paid for an Amiga in the 21st century!

$580,00!

That's about the price I had to pay for my A500 in 1987.
Old 22 July 2003, 23:42   #43
jmmijo

Was this USD or Canadian ?!?
Old 23 July 2003, 00:37   #44
andreas
Zone Friend

Hooooo

USD
Old 23 July 2003, 12:41   #45
Metin 7

Hmmm ... anyone interested in the Amigas of Team Hoi? Sidmon, Venomwing, Digital Mugician, Hoi, Clockwiser and several demos were created with those machines! What about 1000 English pounds per Amiga?

Old 23 July 2003, 13:35   #46
kolorabi

Thanks to the great Team Hoi guys (Hi Metin! :-), you can download two of their Amiga games from my website. There's interviews with Metin Seven and Reinier van Vliet too.

http://home.c2i.net/jfroholt/Hoi/AR_HoiAGARemix.html (Hoi)

http://home.c2i.net/jfroholt/clockwiser/index.html (Clockwiser, Amiga & PC)

If you haven't played these games allready, you should really have a look at them. Hoi is one of my all-time favourite platformers for the Amiga, and Clockwiser is a fab puzzle game. (here's what Seppo Typpö had to say about it in his AGDB review:

"I really cannot recommend Clockwiser strongly enough - it is one of the true Amiga classic puzzlers - a combination of high quality presentation and highly addictive gameplay. Another landmark game for Team Hoi, and a must for any Amiga gamer with even the slightest interest in some brain teasing action."
(the rest is at: http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/DBA1/ClockW.html )
Old 23 July 2003, 14:11   #47
Metin 7

Ahh, this board performs wonders for my self-esteem!

Thanks Kolorabi!

Old 23 July 2003, 15:31   #48
andreas
Zone Friend

hey kolorabi...
won't take so much longer, and we got the whole crowd of C. S. A. G. usenet group regulars here (with a few exceptions, and you as well as me know who these exceptions are that would think that we're all evil )

@Metin
VERY nice story, thanks.
Whereas light turquoise on dark turquoise was a bit of a pain to read I "fixed" this by downloading the page and hacking the *.css (well, I'll always be a hacker: from the cradle to the grave )

Last edited by andreas; 23 July 2003 at 16:58.
Old 23 July 2003, 18:21   #49
Metin 7

What?! Hacked?! Those hackers keep haunting me, whatever I do!

You were right, I've now increased the contrast of the text at MetinSeven.com. My wife has created the site and she had chosen the colors like the way she is: subtle 'n' modest.

Thanks for your compliment about the Hoi Saga. It was a pleasure to write it. Some facts and names were very hard to find out, more than ten years after it all happened, especially Innerprise's Paul Lombardi was very hard to find out. It took me a complete X-Mas evening searching the web and our old files.

Old 23 July 2003, 18:49   #50
Akira

You know, I always heard good things about Hoi but never played it. Seems like now is the right time to give it a try
Old 23 July 2003, 18:50   #51
FromWithin
Music lord

Send a message via ICQ to FromWithin Send a message via AIM to FromWithin Send a message via MSN to FromWithin Send a message via Yahoo to FromWithin
Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
I "fixed" this by downloading the page and hacking the *.css
You see now, it might seem like I've been going on about it a lot lately, but I do like the program. If you were using Opera, you can just press the little button at the top of the window to switch the page into User CSS mode, instead of Author CSS more. Problem solved.
Old 23 July 2003, 19:36   #52
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by IFW
There are/were many "companies" working on the business model of ripping their authors off.
@IFW. And yet you're so modest as to omit your own misfortunes in that regard!
Gotta agree with Twist & co. though that these stories about the "darker" side of the programming scene are priceless,as much as they make for grim reading.
Old 23 July 2003, 20:24   #53
kolorabi

For a similar (but more recent) story, check the website of Cauldron (the Slovakia-based developers of a new first-person shooter called Chaser). In their press section ( http://www.cauldron.sk/press.html ), they have a press release titled "Even a big distributor may disappoint you" where they reveal that UBI Soft haven't paid them one Euro for their previous game, Battle Isle: The Andosia War (which they developed for Blue Byte when that company was bought by UBI Soft).

I hope they have more luck with Jowood, who are distributing Chaser (which is a pretty good game that really took me by surprise - well worth seeking out for fans of first-person shooters).
Old 23 July 2003, 20:49   #54
Akira

Re: Re: A historic Amiga on sale!

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas

But the price they got for it seems to be the highest EVER paid for an Amiga in the 21st century!

$580,00!
I don't find that to be too much for an A4000 equipment, really.

I just read the whole clitboom story, and it's very sad,. I hope those fuckers rot in hell.
Same goes for the Team Hoi story, so sad! I also heard another one, from a guy who made a game for the Gameboy, sent it to places and it got robbed. He then decided to release the game for free before those fuckheads make any cash out of it. It's a Picross-like game, very addictive. Forgot its name really, but I can look for it later and find thestory.
Old 23 July 2003, 21:50   #55
IFW

Quote:
Originally posted by kolorabi
For a similar (but more recent) story, check the website of Cauldron (the Slovakia-based developers of a new first-person shooter called Chaser). In their press section ( http://www.cauldron.sk/press.html ), they have a press release titled "Even a big distributor may disappoint you" where they reveal that UBI Soft haven't paid them one Euro for their previous game, Battle Isle: The Andosia War (which they developed for Blue Byte when that company was bought by UBI Soft).

I hope they have more luck with Jowood, who are distributing Chaser (which is a pretty good game that really took me by surprise - well worth seeking out for fans of first-person shooters).

Read it.
Sorry to disappoint the Cauldron guys...
Rest assured Ubi soft does keep a very good tracking system of sales of each and every title. It is part of logistics at any company, the only way to keep track of re-prints, invoicing re-ordering and accounting.
They simply don't want pay shit.
They are playing on possibly contract expiration by the time Cauldron guys do anything useful for themselves or being too poor to seek legal advice. Also distributor chains are likely to keep record of their sales for 12 months or less.
So more and more "easy" evidence gets eliminated as time passes.
However invoices and accounting is normally for 5 years backwards, but audit and tracking of that costs much more.
The guys being from Slovakia will never see a dime of their game as they will never be able to afford the western legal system unless someone here on the board can take the case being a lawyer in copyright law and feels like making at least that fucking company pay this time.
I wouldn't bet on their new publisher either... it is just way too tempting for anyone to cash-in on defenseless people.
They wouldn't even think about it if the guys were from the UK, Germany or the US or any other country from where they could be punished big time. Or do it to anyone basically from their home country as they'd go into jail right away.
But foreign developers are freejack, especially if they are poor.
Old 23 July 2003, 22:58   #56
Metin 7

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
You know, I always heard good things about Hoi but never played it. Seems like now is the right time to give it a try
Hi Akira,

Don't expect too much of it, and be sure to play the Hoi AGA Remix, because that gives you the option of unlimited lives. The cheat mode of the original version is a drag to activate when using WinUAE (it's something with the joystick and the mouse).

Old 24 July 2003, 00:25   #57
andreas
Zone Friend

Happy

@FromWithin:

MANY thanks for this hint.
I knew that it's possible to define your own colors, but not that you can even override webmaster's CSS preferences in coloring
Old 24 July 2003, 00:29   #58
andreas
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by Metin 7
What?! Hacked?! Those hackers keep haunting me, whatever I do!
Hehe
(Sorry for that )
Quote:
Thanks for your compliment about the Hoi Saga. It was a pleasure to write it. Some facts and names were very hard to find out, more than ten years after it all happened, especially Innerprise's Paul Lombardi was very hard to find out.
Best thing is that *that same* Paul Lombardi gave his permission to BTTR for some Innerprise games!
=> http://www.back2roots.org/News/

Ironic, isn't it?
On the one hand you feel like worshipping him, but on the other you might as well slap his face for ripping you off!!
Whereas he's not the only one to blame, but the fact that you didn't hear *ANYTHING* of him after he promised you to find the bastard that spreaded this internal version around would make everyone get suspicious, wouldn't it? :suspiciou

Last edited by andreas; 24 July 2003 at 00:35.
Old 24 July 2003, 00:33   #59
IFW

Why should anyone worship someone who possibly ripped off dozens of amiga game creators....?
And you don't want to slap his face but put him into jail where his kind belongs to. Like every other criminal.
The guys in the prison will slap his... face indeed.
Old 24 July 2003, 00:45   #60
andreas
Zone Friend

Well frankly, as I've learnt to hear your clear and direct way of expressing things throughout the weeks, I bet *YOU* wouldn't have let yourself fob off with lousy "promises" like that and you'd have fought like a berserk if need be instead, wouldn't you?
A little more persistence from Metin and his friends' side would indeed have caused the tide to turn, I'm still sure.
If you *signalize* that you're NOT going to put up with such behavior of others and *resist*, others will take you more seriously, if you don't, you're easily their buffoon and they know that they can make a fool out of you.

Last edited by andreas; 24 July 2003 at 01:01.
AdSense AdSense