English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 June 2003, 17:28   #21
IFW

Tim: their story ending there is fairly incomplete
Better ask Metin whether he wants to "publish" it...
AdSense AdSense  
Old 13 June 2003, 18:18   #22
LaundroMat

Angry Bloody hell

History week at the EAB, apparently. I never knew about the Hoi debacle (never know it was published, always thought it was an unfinished project), but the clickBoom saga just breaks my heart.

Honestly.

The worst thing of all is the way this guy makes the Serbs believe that it wouldn't do any good to the PR of the game if us Westerners knew they have the nationality they have, "as the EU & the USA think of you as buchers". That's such a f*cking rotten thing to do. Inexcusable and criminal.

Also, I always saw clickBoom as the company that gave a dying platform a last fresh breath of air, but the way it was done makes me sick to the stomach (and I can stomach a lot). Damn them. Of the few games I bought at the time, Capital Punishment was one of them. And now it'll be the only purchase I'll regret for the rest of my time.

Bah!
Old 13 June 2003, 18:27   #23
IFW

There are/were many "companies" working on the business model of ripping their authors off.
Old 13 June 2003, 19:29   #24
jmmijo

and I suppose the same thing occurs even today, probably in all sectors of gaming, PC, MAC, Console, Handheld, et. al.
Old 13 June 2003, 20:49   #25
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IFW
Tim: their story ending there is fairly incomplete
Better ask Metin whether he wants to "publish" it...
Metin tells of the whole Team Hoi saga (or as much as he is willing to reveal) on his web site:

http://www.metinseven.com/article_hoisaga.htm

They got screwed by 4 different Amiga publishers, Turtle Byte, Innerprise, Hollyware and Rasputin, and basically never made any real money coding on Amiga. Very sad!

Last edited by DrBong; 13 June 2003 at 20:56.
Old 13 June 2003, 21:13   #26
LaundroMat

Ta for the link!

Anyway, maybe someone could shed some light on this?

Quote:
Later rumours reached us that the 60 percent version of Hoi was sold to Fairlight by someone from Innerprise, but we will probably never find out what exactly happened.
It would only be fair to provide an answer to this man, after all these years, no?
Old 17 June 2003, 10:04   #27
manicx

Ok, this is sad, but this has happened before and it was much worse. Even from the early 80's, software houses were taking advantage of young programmers who were taking no more that 1% of the sales' revenue. I do believe, that stories like that make more harm to the market than anything else.
Old 17 June 2003, 13:04   #28
LaundroMat

I'd doubt whether these stories are harmful, I'd rather think they serve as a good warning for aspiring games programmers.
Old 17 June 2003, 13:22   #29
fiath

i.e. Don't bother unless you are rich or otherwise have a good lawyer.

Try to join an established development team instead - but a vicious circle here.

Ultimately, this trend in the games industry is keeping it stagnant. The companies doing it can only blame themselves. Problem is, they really don't care. I personally find that very hard to comprehend. But some people are just scum.

And people wonder why the general level of games is rather crappy on originality nowadays...
Old 17 June 2003, 15:38   #30
IFW

Telling the truth makes good for the developers... you know the people who make the games you play. If the truth is bad for the men in suits, it is their very own wrong doing in the first place, and any damage received from uncovering these stories are very well deserved.
Sticking our head into the sand and saying "everything is fine those companies deserve my support" will just turn down the developers again, the creative people behind the games you play. (remember not the suits make the games).
There are many Amiga and other communities that try to cover stories like these... we shouldn't be among them - I do support the developers not everyone else.
Old 17 June 2003, 17:14   #31
manicx

I am with you in this one but these things happen since the early 80's. Nothing has changed. Developers are still exploited by software houses. So, regardless of whether these stories come up or stay hidden, s/w houses suck developers' blood. That what I ment to say up there. As a final consumer in the Amiga market, I wouldn't care less about what happened there.
Old 17 June 2003, 17:29   #32
IFW

Yes, but since these stories are normally hidden from average users or got removed from the .net due to legal threats - from the ciriminals comitting the crimes - it is very important to tell the truth if it is known.
Next time anyone from here purchase a product he/she will think twice about anything clickboom as they don't deserve financial support.
Don't buy products from rip-off publishers, try to contact the author and pay him if you need to, but don't feed those greedy bastards.
The longer they stay in business, the longer they can rip-off yet another author. Only the authors change, their business model won't... unless they go out of business.

So as even an end-user you can make the difference and these stories must be told.
Old 17 June 2003, 23:20   #33
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Arcane Entertainment

The people behind Turbo Trax / Arcane Entertainment also didn't ever receive a cent either.

As for Fairlight buying 60% of Team Hoi?!?!? Get back from the planet you are on. If a game such as Hoi has been completed so long but not released, the game simply got passed onto Fairlight plain and simple.

Same thing happened with BC Kid / Hudson Soft. Dual Crew got it at a computer show in the UK, it wasn't officially released for another 7 months....... and I delayed it!
Old 17 June 2003, 23:28   #34
IFW

Nice
Old 18 June 2003, 01:04   #35
fiath

Re: Arcane Entertainment

Quote:
Originally posted by Galahad/FLT
As for Fairlight buying 60% of Team Hoi?!?!?
No, I think that is "a 60% completed version" was released by Fairlight. I.e. incomplete/unfinished.
Old 18 June 2003, 18:25   #36
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

In Fact....

I think we were even given Turbo Trax by someone directly connected with the game because they were all promised payment before the games release and it never happened.

It didn't have any protection, but I think the person said something along the lines of "Hellfire and Hoodlum would still screw it up, without protection!"

Thats the problem with situations like Hoi. If the game has long been completed, its bound to end up in the wrong hands.
Old 22 July 2003, 19:25   #37
Metin 7

Hi guys,

I happened to stumble across this bulletin board while doing an MSN search.

I see that our Amiga game development adventures have been discussed. The link to my definitive Team Hoi story has also already been posted. Thanks for your interest.

About the Fairlight-cracked version of Hoi: I don't even care anymore what exactly happened back then. I clearly remember that the premature release incredibly messed up our expectations for the future of Hoi, after a year of very hard, unpaid work on the game. I guess you can imagine how we felt about the guilty ones.

But on a different note ... are you all still actively using your Amigas or is this board merely for nostalgic purposes? Anyway, the Amiga will forever live on in my memory. I don't think the unique atmosphere of the Commodore days will ever return.

Cheers,

Metin

Old 22 July 2003, 19:30   #38
Metin 7

Hmmm ... does my signature not work or did I do something wrong?

Old 22 July 2003, 19:33   #39
Metin 7

By the way, Dr. Bong, nice avatar. Brings back memories of the good old Zzap! 64.

Old 22 July 2003, 20:10   #40
FromWithin
Music lord

Send a message via ICQ to FromWithin Send a message via AIM to FromWithin Send a message via MSN to FromWithin Send a message via Yahoo to FromWithin
Quote:
Originally posted by Metin 7
By the way, Dr. Bong, nice avatar. Brings back memories of the good old Zzap! 64.
Go to zzap64.co.uk, pay 25 and get your Zzap!64 CDs. Every single issue scanned and put onto CD with all the posters, other magazine references, all sorts of stuff. Also includes the megatapes. Worth every penny.

Last edited by FromWithin; 22 July 2003 at 21:55.
AdSense AdSense