EAB3 skin Register
English Amiga Board

support.Hardware>More than 1GB in Amiga 4000?
wXR 19:43 24 December 2010
Just perverse curiosity really: Anyone ever gotten *more* than 1GB working on an Amiga 4000?

It's amazing that a system from 1992 can support even as much as 1GB, when some much more 'modern' Macs have hard limits preventing more than 2 or 3GB
Advertisement:

slaapliedje 22:39 24 December 2010
I'm not sure anyone has actually gotten one up to 1GB, but I recall reading that it could.

With the 4 Zorro III slots, you could get 4 ZorRam 256M modules and that would give you 1GB, then if you have an accelerator, which most of them support up to 128MB, I guess you could have over 1GB. But I think that would be so much overkill, it would only be for bragging rights. But would still be cool!

Anyone know how much memory OS3.x supports?
Paul_s 23:08 24 December 2010
Yep, AmigaKit confirmed that 4 x 256MB Zorram boards worked to give 1GB total... pic below was posted in the official Zorram thread when they started shipping earlier this year...

http://www.amigakit.com/images/4xzorram-4060t.jpg

I'm not sure of the actual limit... 3GB maybe? 256MB is OTT for an Amiga let alone 1GB
icbrkr 02:37 25 December 2010
Some newer Mac limits are due to the same reason you have limits in some Amigas - out of memory slots! The OS supports it just fine but if you have some iMacs and only 2 memory slots, there's only so much you can do with them.

I've got 7GB in my Mac Pro, and many, many slots still open.
DarrenHD 02:41 25 December 2010
Originally Posted by wXR:
Just perverse curiosity really: Anyone ever gotten *more* than 1GB working on an Amiga 4000?

It's amazing that a system from 1992 can support even as much as 1GB, when some much more 'modern' Macs have hard limits preventing more than 2 or 3GB
the Zorro III address space can give you about 1.7GB total. So in Theory you could have 1.7GB, 128MB on accelerator, 16MB fast ram (motherboard), 2MB chip...

Other cards do take up some of that available 1.7GB Zorro III address space, though, like a Mediator can take upto 512MB of it, if you had other cards they take some address space, like a Deneb, etc...

But yes, if you had 4 ZorRAM 256MB's you could get over 1GB ... if you uncluded your Accelerator CPU slot memory and motherboard ram...
wXR 13:40 25 December 2010
icbrkr: unfortunately it seems that it is more the just the number of slots -- the slots simply won't take high-capacity RAM in most cases, or one will take 1GB, another a 2GB stick, etc. I think Apple purposely put measures in place to limit it.

That being said, I'd love to find a thread somewhere of dedicated Mac hackers who could figure out how to cram more into iMac G5s and so on!
icbrkr 15:21 25 December 2010
Originally Posted by wXR:
icbrkr: unfortunately it seems that it is more the just the number of slots -- the slots simply won't take high-capacity RAM in most cases, or one will take 1GB, another a 2GB stick, etc. I think Apple purposely put measures in place to limit it.

That being said, I'd love to find a thread somewhere of dedicated Mac hackers who could figure out how to cram more into iMac G5s and so on!
It's also dependent on the memory controller, etc. A lot of time you can cram more RAM into a system than it's supposed to allow, provided the controller supports it (which is why you see 4GB in a system made for 2GB, etc) but at the time of it's manufacturer, it was only tested to 2GB since that's all that was available. Technology moves on and you can't expect your old hardware to take advantage of newer technology that didn't exist at the time... (though Amiga hackers have blown that theory )
FOL 22:48 25 December 2010
Originally Posted by Paul_s:
Yep, AmigaKit confirmed that 4 x 256MB Zorram boards worked to give 1GB total... pic below was posted in the official Zorram thread when they started shipping earlier this year...

http://www.amigakit.com/images/4xzorram-4060t.jpg

I'm not sure of the actual limit... 3GB maybe? 256MB is OTT for an Amiga let alone 1GB
If I recall, 5 were tried and it starting doing wierd stuff at 1280MB (5x 256MB).
This was tested without Accellerator memory.

As said before, over 1GB on a classic system is a little OTT.
cosmicfrog 10:57 27 December 2010
1 Gig of mem was one of the first things I asked amigakit to show us

now fol/matt you might want to team up the pics of 1Gig or Ram with the 1TeraByte HDD
just a thought
amigakit.com 11:31 27 December 2010
I already have a 1TB SATA hard disk running on my Amiga 1200:

cosmicfrog 12:36 27 December 2010
Yep you sure have now if you had the 1gig of ram at the top that be the picture for me
FOL 16:50 27 December 2010
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog:
Yep you sure have now if you had the 1gig of ram at the top that be the picture for me
Check the zorram thread, Im sure he posted 1GB Pic.
AmigaFriend 22:01 27 December 2010
Originally Posted by FOL:
Check the zorram thread, Im sure he posted 1GB Pic.
For sure he means 1Gb Ram and 1TB drive on the same Miggy.
cosmicfrog 11:43 28 December 2010
yep thats what I mean xpect, though its not as important as sending those new cards out from jens, but if you ever get a machine with these specs again plz do take a screen grab, just to show what old and well designed hardware is still capable off, even if we know it might be slightly over kill

Page generated in 0.07148 seconds with 12 queries