English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 02 February 2019, 18:53   #1
Foebane
Banned

Possible to launch floppies from a large number in .zip?

I know that you can take an ADF file and zip it up and WinUAE will still read it fine, and that you could take a few ADFs in a zip and select them from a drop-down list in floppies, but is it possible to take dozens or even hundreds of ADFs and bootable exes in a single zip? The idea is I'd like to compress an entire folder of disks and exes into a single zip rather than individual zips for each and every one.

I experimented earlier with the current system and it seemed to have an upper limit of a few dozen or so, and not all of the 170+ files in my zip were listed. What is the upper limit? If I have to break up the folder into a few zips, I don't really mind, but I would prefer no limits.
Old 02 February 2019, 19:26   #2
Foebane
Banned

I've just tested, and it seems the drop-down list limit is 50. I guess the folder will have to be split up then.
Old 02 February 2019, 19:35   #3
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
The idea is I'd like to compress an entire folder of disks and exes into a single zip rather than individual zips for each and every one.
Why would you or anyone want to do this?

Also, if you keep files zipped then nothing can be written to them, which will be a problem if a game saves hiscores or settings.
Old 02 February 2019, 19:46   #4
Foebane
Banned

At the moment, I have hundreds of Amiga files that I store in an ISO image, but it doesn't compress anything, but I use ISO as the contents cannot be changed (storage) and I can burn it onto recordable DVD immediately as backup.

I was investigating zipping up whole folders of these files to compress them and reduce the size of the ISO and still being able to access them when done (the alternative would be extractions beforehand) but having tried it out this afternoon, it's proven to be impractical.

I'm forever trying to organise my files in different ways, just so you know. It may be strange, but I like doing so.
Old 02 February 2019, 20:20   #5
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
I experimented earlier with the current system and it seemed to have an upper limit of a few dozen or so, and not all of the 170+ files in my zip were listed. What is the upper limit? If I have to break up the folder into a few zips, I don't really mind, but I would prefer no limits.
I do not know if I understand correctly, I do not know the maximum limit of files that you can compress in Zip certainly are many and many more than 170. I tested a folder with 300 .adf and I had no problem, saved 100MB of space.
Old 02 February 2019, 20:22   #6
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
I do not know if I understand correctly, I do not know the maximum limit of files that you can compress in Zip certainly are many and many more than 170. I tested a folder with 300 .adf and I had no problem, saved 100MB of space.
How did you run them from the .zip through WinUAE without extracting?
Old 02 February 2019, 20:32   #7
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
How did you run them from the .zip through WinUAE without extracting?
You do not have to extract them, you just have to drag them from the GUI of WinZip or WinRAR etc .. into the floppy drive of WinUAE, see video attached, the rest will think Windows to create the virtual floppy in the TEMP

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 04 February 2019 at 21:49.
Old 02 February 2019, 20:32   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

History list is restricted to sane size.. You can also manually use two path types:

name_of_zip.zip\name_of_file_inside_zip.adf

or

name_of_zip.zip\#100 = open file number 100 in zip.
Old 02 February 2019, 21:17   #9
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
You do not have to extract them, you just have to drag them from the GUI of WinZip or WinRAR etc .. into the floppy drive of WinUAE, see video attached, the rest will think Windows to create the virtual floppy in the TEMP
Your video nicely demonstrates how to do this in a window, but I always run WinUAE in fullscreen. What is the procedure for that? I tried drag-n-drop with ordinary files, but it ignored those from an archive opened in 7-Zip and File Explorer.
Old 02 February 2019, 21:45   #10
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Your video nicely demonstrates how to do this in a window, but I always run WinUAE in fullscreen. What is the procedure for that? I tried drag-n-drop with ordinary files, but it ignored those from an archive opened in 7-Zip and File Explorer.
Simple, just use the Alt-Tab keys and take the file wherever you want, see video

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 04 February 2019 at 21:48.
Old 02 February 2019, 21:52   #11
DamienD
Banned

You guys do realise that you don't have to be in the "Floppy drives" section?

This thread has details about a feature that's in v4.1.0: Pointless Feature Request - Zoned areas for drag and drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Window corners now work as drag'n'drop hot spots for different floppy drives. (top/left=0, top/right=1, bottom/left=2, bottom/right=3).
This works in Windowed, Fullscreen or Full-window modes.
Old 02 February 2019, 21:53   #12
Foebane
Banned

For some reason, WinUAE is ignoring files dragged from zip archives on 7-Zip (I created the zip archives from that as well). I keep getting the "circle with a slash through it".
Old 02 February 2019, 22:01   #13
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
For some reason, WinUAE is ignoring files dragged from zip archives on 7-Zip (I created the zip archives from that as well). I keep getting the "circle with a slash through it".
Yes confirm, the files dragged from the 7-Zip GUI on WinUAE do not work, while with the GUI of Windows Explorer it is not possible to drag the files from on WinUAE (tested only with Win7 32Bit)

Everything works perfectly with WinRAR (you can also do it to save on the floppy), i have not tested other archivers.

@Damiano
Sorry, you can move everything if you think it's appropriate

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 02 February 2019 at 22:09.
Old 02 February 2019, 22:11   #14
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
while with the GUI of Windows Explorer it is not possible to drag the files from on WinUAE (tested only with Win7 32Bit)
Weird, dragging .ZIP files from Windows Explorer works fine here.

I'm using Windows 7 [64-bit] though, but can't imagine using [32-bit] would make a difference...

Quote:
@Damiano
Sorry, you can move everything if you think it's appropriate
The comments I made were not for the purpose of moving / merging threads.

It was for you guys to be made aware of the "drag'n'drop hot spots"

Last edited by DamienD; 02 February 2019 at 22:17.
Old 02 February 2019, 22:31   #15
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Weird, dragging .ZIP files from Windows Explorer works fine here.

I'm using Windows 7 [64-bit] though, but can't imagine using [32-bit] would make a difference...
Damiano, i was not talking about dragging .ZIP files but the file .ADF contained in the ZIP as shown in the two videos.
Old 02 February 2019, 23:05   #16
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Everything works perfectly with WinRAR (you can also do it to save on the floppy), i have not tested other archivers.
Confirmed! (I just checked, lucky I registered WinRAR a long time ago)

What I've tried is to open WinUAE to my specified floppy configuration, then press the middle mouse button to get back to the desktop and drag an item from WinRAR to the WinUAE icon on the taskbar. It then goes to WinUAE fullscreen and I can drop it then, and it will boot, although I have to restart the Amiga if something's already running.

However, doing this seems to not change the disk unless I eject it with Shift+End+F1 first.
Old 02 February 2019, 23:09   #17
AMIGASYSTEM

Ok, WinRAR Number 1
Old 02 February 2019, 23:25   #18
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Ok, WinRAR Number 1
Yeah, this conversation tonight reminded me that 7-Zip has issues with drag and drop, I'd completely forgotten. I would've preferred to just have the one archiver, but more than one is more useful.
Old 02 February 2019, 23:36   #19
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
I would've preferred to just have the one archiver, but more than one is more useful.
Yes, an Italian TV spot says .. two and better than one
Quote:
However, doing this seems to not change the disk unless I eject it with Shift+End+F1 first.
Even here there is a solution, you can drag on the AMiGA screen the ADF without using F12, in this way the exchange will be automatic, watch video

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 04 February 2019 at 21:48.
Old 03 February 2019, 01:28   #20
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
What I've tried is to open WinUAE to my specified floppy configuration, then press the middle mouse button to get back to the desktop and drag an item from WinRAR to the WinUAE icon on the taskbar. It then goes to WinUAE fullscreen and I can drop it then, and it will boot, although I have to restart the Amiga if something's already running.
Yes, you have to reset if something's already running.

Quote:
Doesn't happen here... are you using the "drag'n'drop hot spots" method? Don't have the GUI open at all, or be on the "Floppy drives" section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Window corners now work as drag'n'drop hot spots for different floppy drives. (top/left=0, top/right=1, bottom/left=2, bottom/right=3).
Quote:
Ok, WinRAR Number 1
Yup, I don't use any other compression software on Windows.

WinRAR is all anyone should need

Last edited by DamienD; 03 February 2019 at 01:33.