English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 11 September 2012, 15:29   #41
strim
NetBSD developer

Quote:
Could it be an issue that xstreamtodev has not written ALL of the minirootfs contents?? I notice the utility goves no indication whether it was successful or not, even with the --verbose option. It wrote for probably about 10 seconds and then just stopped and went back to the amiga cli prompt. I can only assume it worked ok.
I remember that output of xstreamtodev is not really intuitive... So it's possible that it worked fine even if it didn't report success, although I can't check it now, since I'm away from my Amigas.

Quote:
I am just wondering what exactly the loader cant find?
It can't load second stage boot loader from the NetBSD filesystem (can be named /boot.amiga or /boot or /boot.ami ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhyes View Post
Could it be any jumper setting on my Blizzard 1260 causing an issue? There is a mapROM jumper setting that supposedly maps ROM to fastram. I wonder if this could be messing anything up?
I doubt it, but it doesn't hurt to check...
Old 24 October 2012, 20:12   #42
Rotzloeffel

Quote:
I used the same arguments to xstreamtodev as you quoted

I'm wondering whether the type of disk drive I am using could be an issue? It's not a real IDE drive:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=883

Though the Amiga HD Tools had no trouble seeing it..

I'll try the stuff you suggested tomorrow I have the unit at work
Hi! You should boot from the early-startup Menu! If you can´t see your root or swap parition in the eraly startup-menu you have to install the Barkeley-Filesystem into the RDB of your root AND swap parition! You can download it from the Aminet: http://aminet.net/package/misc/emu/bffs

extract bffs1.5beta/l/BFFSFilesystem to L: open hdtoolbox and add new filesystem on root and swap choosing L:BFFSFilesystem

if you did so, you can see both parititions in your early Startup-menu!!

this is allways needed if you try to install NetBSD on other platform than A3000 or A4000!

if you copy the miniroot fs to your swap paritition, a small output in % is given to you with indicates the usage of the Diskspace! if you have a 100 MB Swap for example and the miniroot.fs is 3 MB you should see 3% then it is OK!

If you have any further questions conatact me!
Old 24 October 2012, 20:18   #43
strim
NetBSD developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzloeffel View Post
If you can´t see your root or swap parition in the eraly startup-menu you have to install the Barkeley-Filesystem into the RDB of your root AND swap parition! You can download it from the Aminet: http://aminet.net/package/misc/emu/bffs

extract bffs1.5beta/l/BFFSFilesystem to L: open hdtoolbox and add new filesystem on root and swap choosing L:BFFSFilesystem

if you did so, you can see both parititions in your early Startup-menu!!
I don't know what exactly does adding BFFSFilesystem to RDB do, but it shouldn't be needed. If someone followed the INSTALL instruction and it didn't work for some reason (no partitions shown in early startup), then bug should be filed (perhaps with assistance from port-amiga at netbsd.org list).

Quote:
this is allways needed if you try to install NetBSD on other platform than A3000 or A4000!
It shouldn't be needed on any Amiga. I've installed it countless times on A600, A1200, A3000 and A4000 and never needed it. It always just worked after specifying correct RDB values in HDToolBox.

Last edited by strim; 24 October 2012 at 20:26.
Old 24 October 2012, 20:25   #44
Rotzloeffel

Quote:
Originally Posted by strim View Post
I don't know what exactly does adding BFSSFilesystem to RDB do, but it shouldn't be needed. If someone followed the INSTALL instruction and it didn't work for some reason (no partitions shown in early startup), then bug should be filed (perhaps with assistance from port-amiga at netbsd.org list).

It shouldn't be needed on any Amiga. I've installed it countless times on A600, A1200, A3000 and A4000 and never needed it. It always just worked after specifying correct RDB values in HDToolBox.
But not on A2000 / Blizzard 2060! I tried it many, many times! without that Filesystem I had no chance! you also see both paritions then on your Workbench-screen:-) I had this "Problem" on my A2000 and my A1200! On my A4000 it works perfekt without the Filesystem.
Old 24 October 2012, 20:26   #45
strim
NetBSD developer

Quote:
But not on A2000 / Blizzard 2060! I tried it many, many times! without that Filesystem I had no chance! you also see both paritions then on your Workbench-screen:-) I had this "Problem" on my A2000 and my A1200! On my A4000 it works perfekt without the Filesystem.
What Kickstart version do you have in your A1200 and A2000? Maybe it's related. I have 3.1 in all my machines.
Old 24 October 2012, 20:51   #46
Rotzloeffel

Quote:
What Kickstart version do you have in your A1200 and A2000? Maybe it's related. I have 3.1 in all my machines.
I have also 3.1! I read that it have something to do with the ide-interface on SOME machines! Maybe something changed with the Motherboard-Revisions ?

It is differnent depending on the SCSI-Host or IDE you use! As I wrote it works perfect on my A 4000 without the BBfilesystem!

Also I suggest to install new Software by compiling it by yourself! The pre-compiled packages could bring you trouble:-) For example: install "nano" from the precompiled section it will not work! compile it by yourself, using

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/stable/pkgsrc.tar.bz2

# cd /usr
# tar xzf pkgsrc.tar.bz2

# cd /usr/pkgsrc/editors/nano
# make install

works perfect! To extract the source-files you need approximately 3 hours on an Amiga 2000/060

Compiling nano is about 30 Minutes.

but it solves the problems with the missing shared Object :-)
Old 24 October 2012, 21:09   #47
strim
NetBSD developer

Quote:
It is differnent depending on the SCSI-Host or IDE you use! As I wrote it works perfect on my A 4000 without the BBfilesystem!
I have only SCSI in my A3000 and never needed this to install BFFS in RDB. Maybe it's a problem specific to Blizzard 2060 (or its boot ROM).

It's difficult to tell what is the reason, but it's good that you've found workaround for this problem.
Old 24 October 2012, 21:28   #48
Rotzloeffel

Quote:
I have only SCSI in my A3000 and never needed this to install BFFS in RDB. Maybe it's a problem specific to Blizzard 2060 (or its boot ROM).

It's difficult to tell what is the reason, but it's good that you've found workaround for this problem.
Yes! Maybe!

Just one question. I would like to change the resolution of the console by using

#kdload vesa
#vidcontrol -i mode
(for getting available modes)
#vidcontrol MODE_<Modenumber>

is this possible? And where can I find kdload and vidcontrol packages to compile? They are not installed by the default setup.

if it works I would like to add

allscreens_flags="Mode_<Modenumber>"

to /etc/rc.conf

Thanks
Old 24 October 2012, 21:34   #49
strim
NetBSD developer

Quote:
#kdload vesa
#vidcontrol -i mode
(for getting available modes)
#vidcontrol MODE_<Modenumber>
This is FreeBSD-specific, we don't have that in NetBSD. But I think you might want to check the grfconfig tool ;-).
Old 24 October 2012, 21:40   #50
Rotzloeffel

Quote:
This is FreeBSD-specific, we don't have that in NetBSD. But I think you might want to check the grfconfig tool ;-).
ahhhh O.K! I will have a look! I allready used grfconfig to set the screenmodes for the X-server

I will do a

#man grfconfig

to figure out what to do:-) I like to find out those things by myself.....hopefully I find the solution by my self:-)
Old 24 October 2012, 21:54   #51
strim
NetBSD developer

Quote:
ahhhh O.K! I will have a look! I allready used grfconfig to set the screenmodes for the X-server

I will do a

#man grfconfig

to figure out what to do:-) I like to find out those things by myself.....hopefully I find the solution by my self:-)
The truth is that I don't really remember, but there was a bit of magic to grfconfig... like using specific mode number (255?) to set text mode to some resolution. I'm not sure if that's properly documented.
Old 24 October 2012, 22:05   #52
Rotzloeffel

oh come on:-)

the way to do it is known...

adding a Mode with c ......instaed of a number! but now Netbsd only uses the half of the screen for output! is there an additional coment instead of "default" to get it working ?

thanks
Old 24 October 2012, 22:07   #53
strim
NetBSD developer

AFAIR you need to let the terminal know that it has become bigger by using iteconfig utility.
Old 24 October 2012, 22:20   #54
Rotzloeffel

Quote:
AFAIR you need to let the terminal know that it has become bigger by using iteconfig utility.
The terminal becomes bigger! The resolution is correct! but the output (Text) is only in the upper 30% of the screen.

I can go down by pressing "enter" but if I try to login, it puts wierd signs behind the login-name and the password. So I am unable to log in anymore!

but as you remember:-) I installed the filesystem, so i can edit the grfmodes by using amiga OS:-) putting a "#" before the new mode and the standard mode is working again:-)

maybe this is a driver bug of the CV/3d in Zorro II mode ? Or I did somthing wrong...
Old 24 October 2012, 22:23   #55
strim
NetBSD developer

Quote:
maybe this is a driver bug of the CV/3d in Zorro II mode ? Or I did somthing wrong...
I have CV64/3D somewhere in this room, but I need to find some time to install it in the Amiga and test it. Hopefully next week .
Old 24 October 2012, 22:24   #56
Rotzloeffel

Quote:
I have CV64/3D somewhere in this room, but I need to find some time to install it in the Amiga and test it. Hopefully next week .
Yes simply put a "c" instead of 1,2,3 before the wanted resolution will change the screenmode with the known "problems"!

but remember! I use the CV64/3D in ZII Mode!!! Maybe that there is a difference?

but it is enough for today:-) I will have a sleep now! maybe we should find the solution for these issues by PM or email and post it in the thread instead of highjacking this thread for our discussions?

Last edited by prowler; 24 October 2012 at 23:53. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged; please use the Edit button.
Old 24 October 2012, 23:45   #57
rare_j
Zone Friend

I remember that when I tried linux on my a1200 bliz 1230iv it would not start while maprom jumper was set. All sorts of strange errors. It seems that linux somehow cannot tell that the 512k of ram has been allocated elsewhere. It all worked fine as soon as i disabled maProm jumper. I would give it a go.

Quote:
Could it be any jumper setting on my Blizzard 1260 causing an issue? There is a mapROM jumper setting that supposedly maps ROM to fastram. I wonder if this could be messing anything up?
Old 25 October 2012, 02:28   #58
ahhyes

Quote:
Hi! You should boot from the early-startup Menu! If you can´t see your root or swap parition in the eraly startup-menu you have to install the Barkeley-Filesystem into the RDB of your root AND swap parition! You can download it from the Aminet: http://aminet.net/package/misc/emu/bffs
Guten Tag!

All my partitions show up in the early boot (if I have set them as bootable). I honestly think something may be wrong with my unit since nobody else is having this problem (the OP's video shows a version of NetBSD that I myself cannot get to boot on my A1200, so I am not convinced it's any bug of NetBSD).

I've had weird things happen even in workbench, like I copy files (such as lha archives, zip files) to a floppy disk on a PC, then try and bring them across in Workbench using CrossDOS to the HD and whenever I try to unzip or un-lharc them, they are always reported as corrupt, however if I copy the files to ram: first, and try and to uncompress them there, it works fine. Similarly any ADF image I try to write to a floppy disk are always unbootable. I am betting if I copy the adf images to ramdisk and try and write them to disk from there they will probably work. Possessed machine.

Given the sort of weird behavior like that I am seeing with the unit, I would not at all be surprised if the miniroot fs that got copied is corrupted. Perhaps I have a bad 1260 board or bad ram or something to that effect.

Last edited by ahhyes; 25 October 2012 at 02:53.
Old 25 October 2012, 07:59   #59
Rotzloeffel

Quote:
Guten Tag!

Given the sort of weird behavior like that I am seeing with the unit, I would not at all be surprised if the miniroot fs that got copied is corrupted. Perhaps I have a bad 1260 board or bad ram or something to that effect.
Aha! this looks like a Hardware-Problem. What kind of Harddisk do you use? maybe it is a problem of a wrong Max-Transfer value on your Amiga-Paritions.

For an internal ide drive you should set FFS-Parititions to:

Mask = 0x7FFFFFFC
MaxTransfer = 0x0001FE00

you can change this values in hdToolbox without dataloss! After entering each value you HAVE TO PRESS "ENTER" otherwise the values are not stored.

Give it a try BTW! This have NO effect on the allready corrupt files!!

Last edited by Rotzloeffel; 25 October 2012 at 08:40.
Old 25 October 2012, 08:03   #60
ahhyes

Quote:
Aha! this looks like a Hardware-Problem. What kind of Harddisk do you use? maybe it is a problem of a wrong Max-Transfer value on your Amiga-Paritions.

For an internal ide drive you should set FFS-Parititions to:

Mask = 0x7FFFFFFC
MaxTransfer = 0x0001FE00

you can change this values in hdToolbox without dataloss! After entering each value you HAVE TO PRESS "ENTER" otherwise the values are not stored.

Give it a try
I'm using the compact flash drive from amigakit, does this still apply?