English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 05 October 2009, 15:34   #1
BrooksterMax

A600 IDE CF GAAE Edition

Firstly, what great packages are hosted here!

My Amiga 600 with 3.1 ROM has 3mb total mem 2mb Chipmem and 1mb fastmem from a PCMCIA SRAM card.

I chose the WB 2.1 based GAAE for my A600 project. I have used the Hard Drive file supplied in WinUAE and it works well copying my 3.1/3mb RAM specification with games and apps. A 2mb/4mb SRAM would be better, but 1mb SRAM seems to do most things.

My IDE-CF adaptor is arriving very soon , when I use WinUAE to mount and build the CF device - do I need to do anything about the MaxTransfer value that I have read about which causes problems?

It works well in WinUAE but I want to be sure I build the real CF card right.

Many thanks
Old 05 October 2009, 20:12   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksterMax View Post
My IDE-CF adaptor is arriving very soon , when I use WinUAE to mount and build the CF device - do I need to do anything about the MaxTransfer value that I have read about which causes problems?
Hi BrooksterMax,

Have a look in this thread for advice on MaxTransfer value.
Old 05 October 2009, 20:45   #3
BrooksterMax

Thank you for the link, I have the values now from that page.

I am confused as to when I use these values if I prep the card using WinUAE and the GAAE ClassicWB?
Old 05 October 2009, 20:57   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

The MaxTransfer value is a parameter entered when you prepare the card with HDToolbox (I think it's a command line switch).
Old 05 October 2009, 20:59   #5
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
when you get your cf ide adapter, first thing you want to do is format the cf via workbench. just plug the cf card and boot via workbench floppy. then you gonna run a partitioning tool like hdtoolbox or hdinsttools. while setting up partitions you:ll see max transfer settings in these programs. you:re gonna use this value there.

after partitioning, quick format the volumes and plug your cf to your windows machine and transfer your GAAE setup to cf.
Old 05 October 2009, 21:00   #6
BrooksterMax

EDIT - I see Coze has posted, thank you I will try the CF route via the real Amiga first? I think that is what you are suggesting. I wondered whether you could do it within WinUAE first. But doing it with the Amiga makes sense.

cheers

Thank you once again, I am confused by this
http://classicwb.abime.net/classicwe...tionsgreen.htm

This does not mention the prep part.

So should I follow this route?

Method 1

WinUAE has the option of mounting and preparing a real hard drive for use on an Amiga! This option is only available in Win2k-XP. Win9x-ME unfortunately won't allow this feature.

Once mounted and formatted, the contents of the HDF can simply be copied directly over to the hard drive. Then it can be placed back into the Amiga ready for use.

The WinUAE device name to use with HDtoolbox or similar utility is "uaehf.device". If you've already partitioned the drive Amiga side, it should be visible in the hard drives tab after using "Add Harddrive".

Read the WinUAE documentation for further details, or refer to the internet.
Old 05 October 2009, 21:10   #7
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksterMax View Post

The WinUAE device name to use with HDtoolbox or similar utility is "uaehf.device". If you've already partitioned the drive Amiga side, it should be visible in the hard drives tab after using "Add Harddrive".
actually it mentions.

actually you can prep directly under winuae too. but you need to run winuae with -disableharddrivesafetycheck parameter (or something like that, I'm not sure of exact wording) cause winuae by default won't allow you to modify non amiga harddisks for safety reasons. therefore you need to prep it either on amiga first, or disable winuae safety check and prep with uae. of course if you prep a wrong hdd on your system you may lose all your data there too so be careful.
Old 09 October 2009, 09:52   #8
BrooksterMax

An update to future searchers! My A600 would not recognise the CF, maybe the port was a bit broken. So I used my A1200.

1. Plugged in the Compact Flash card to my PC reader (1GB Kodak Card).

2.Using the Start/Run box on the taskbar I launched WinUAE as follows:
Winuae -disableharddrivesafetycheck

3. Added the Compact flash card as a hard drive, selecting IDE0 and read/write from the properties.

4. Booted a WB3.0 install disk to run Installer

5. Using HDToolBox, prepped the card into two partitions with MaxTransfer 0x1FE00

6. Soft reboot and two NDOS garbled disk icons appeared - QUICK formatted these to get the partitions finished.

Then I was ready to install ClassicWB by copying the files over, which is another process altogether!

Thanks for the advice.