English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 October 2019, 15:32   #1
S0ulA55a551n

Gotek Emulation

Hi,

I am in the process of building an amiga system. I have been looking at the goteks (probably go black, OLED and rotary ). Was guessing there will be some experience here.

Anything to watch out for. ?
Can it completely replace a floppy drive?
Can it handle all formats the Amiga drive could handle ?
Can it handle all digital formats, adf, sps etc ?

Thanks
Old 24 October 2019, 14:05   #2
solarmon

Are you looking at replacing an internal or external floppy drive? Depending on which one depends on what mounting/connection options you need to consider.

If you roll your own, you need to decide whether to use HxC (commercial/proprietary) or FlashFloppy (FF) (free/opensource). Ready built solutions tend to come with FlashFloppy.

If you roll your own, you need to be able to re-flash the Gotek with either HcX or FF, and add any hardware mods (like OLED, rotary encoder, speakers/buzzer) - so you will need some technical expertise. Ready built solutions may come with some or all of those mods - check which ones before you buy.

Both HxC and FF, support ADF and HFE disk image formats. Any other formats like IPF and SCP can be converted to ADF or HFE. To the Amiga, it doesn't know, or care, about the actual disk image file format, as long as it sees the disk drive and floppy, which the Gotek and HxC/FF are emulating.

Don't confuse it with, and expect it to 'run WHDLoad files', as I've seen a few people think. The Gotek HxC/FF solution is for emulating the floppy disk drive. So, your Amiga will only be able to run the same things as it can from floppy, but in an emulated and more convenient form.
Old 24 October 2019, 17:45   #3
th4t1guy

Does Gotek support emulating a high density drive? For example, like the one that came with the a4000?
Old 25 October 2019, 01:03   #4
solarmon

I believe it can, but have never used this feature.

I suggest you go to the HxC and/or FlashFloppy Facebook group and ask that question.
Old 25 October 2019, 10:39   #5
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmon View Post
I believe it can, but have never used this feature.

I suggest you go to the HxC and/or FlashFloppy Facebook group and ask that question.
Thanks for the advice. Going to buy a ready made job probably from AmigaKit. I am aware its just a floppy emulator. But given how old most of my disks are seems like a perfect replacement to be able to boot and install os drivers from etc.

I will be using it as internal in a checkmate case.

As there is not physical aspect I assume its slightly faster than a mechanical floppy drive.
Old 25 October 2019, 12:43   #6
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
As there is not physical aspect I assume its slightly faster than a mechanical floppy drive.
There are no speed benefits - it is emulating the floppy drive exactly!