English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Green Amiga Alien GUIDES

Old 09 April 2009, 18:15   #161
Xytec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
I never got a USB Boot Stick to work.. on hardware that worked fine for booting from CD or HDD.. so I think that is a feature we have to live with. I did however get Amithlon to boot from my P35 mobo with JMicron IDE which was a BIG surprise... It seems almost anything works as long as you can kill all SATA controllers!!
the HP USB boot thingy works for sure, I have it on 2 of my (none HP) drives, it didn't work using Vista but did if I used it on XP.

This webby has a guide.

http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm
Old 20 April 2009, 11:13   #162
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGAZ View Post
Cool

What Nforce 2 board do you have?

I just grabbed one myself to build a better Amithlon machine on...an
ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe with an Athlon 2600+ which will run circles around my old PIII 1ghz
It seems NForce2 is well supported by Amithlon so I have got myself an A7N8X-VM/400 (on the way) with CPU and memory. I know NForce LAN works fine but what about the Ac97 sound? Is that well supported? Its ALC650 codec also referred to as Cmedia 8738.

Anyone know if the sound is supported? Would be great if I can avoid using a SB card as then I can have a nice small low profile case for my new "Amiga"
Old 26 April 2009, 19:31   #163
Xytec

Bah!

I messed about with my Comps settings and can't get it to run again.

The CD graphics prompt pops up, but it just hangs afterwards and reboots again and again!!!

I've tried reversing everything I did, but I've missed something out and can I heck fix it
Old 28 April 2009, 10:36   #164
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xytec View Post
the HP USB boot thingy works for sure, I have it on 2 of my (none HP) drives, it didn't work using Vista but did if I used it on XP.

This webby has a guide.

It works but NOT for Amithlon.. or at least not the 20+ times I tried it... on mobos that work with Amithlon.

Hell I even got Amithlon to boot on my P35 mobo by disabling SATA and using the (not supposed to work) Jmicron IDE controller.
Old 28 April 2009, 13:27   #165
Xytec

Sec Methanoid, the webby seemed to be same as I did, just let me get you a link to utility that works for sure!
Old 28 April 2009, 13:30   #166
Xytec

Ok its in section 2 (the HP utility ) but I couldn't set it up with Vista, had to use XP and then its all ok.

Strangely enough I couldn't set up my real Amiga HD (using WinUAE) in Vista either and had to use Win XP to do that too.

Sorry I just re-read your post, what do you mean by 'it works but not for Amithlon'?

I meant it makes a bootable USB drive (which I used to install all the floppy stuff needed for set up as I had no Floppy drive)

Not that it would work in Amithlon?

Last edited by Xytec; 28 April 2009 at 13:33. Reason: clarify an issue
Old 29 April 2009, 09:19   #167
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Xytec, you misunderstood me (a few times). This was a USB Boot stick to boot Amithlon i.e. a DOS partition with LoadLin etc on it that could load Amithlon and save you the trouble of installing an HD or plugging a CD into a machine to test if Amithlon worked on it. However it doesnt work (well it does load but Amithlon doesnt like it) like booting from the CD so the short answer is that you need a CD to boot from.

All,
Now for the benefit of those who haven't bought their CDs (bad boys!) rather than looking for the virgin Amithlon CD I recommend they look for the CD posted on some Turkish forum that has a menu and is designed to boot various kernels and configs. It makes it easier to take that CD and test a mobo fully for compatibility (first switching off SATA I suggest!!)

My latest mobo I intend to test is going to be a G41 chipset which I think is the most modern Intel chipset to have ICH7 (IDE) - I thought P31/G31 was newest but I somehow missed G41.

I'd hazard an educated guess that the Gigabyte GA-EP41-UD3L is an ideal mobo for multiple use INC Amithlon. I expect it will do well for Mac OSX and obviously Windows and Linux.

Why do I bother when I have an ideal nForce2 mATX board on my desk right now? Cos I am barking mad!!
Old 01 May 2009, 14:50   #168
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Can I return to the reason I dumped the 945GC mobo, memory limits.

I could never get mem=512m to work. I had 2x1Gb in that board and it refused to boot unless I removed one DIMM.

Has anyone got Amithlon to boot on a machine with 2x1Gb?

If I could then I'd buy kit for a multi boot machine (XP, OSX, Linux, Amithlon).. but 1gb Ram is rubbish these days.....
Old 02 May 2009, 19:02   #169
amiga

Quote:
... but 1gb Ram is rubbish these days.....
Yeah, thats the sad state of computing nowadays!
However, I'm wondering why u'r not using X-Amiga (http://xamiga.net) instead of Amithlon ? X-Amiga has a more modern linux kernel than Amithlon, so it boots on modern PCs. PLUS, it emulates custom chips and all, while Amithlon emulates just the cpu. Amithlon may feel a bit faster, but on today's PCs any speed difference that may exist is barely noticeable. Also Cloanto offer a similar solution to X-Amiga, in their Amiga Forever Plus CD Edition.
Old 03 May 2009, 16:09   #170
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga View Post
Yeah, thats the sad state of computing nowadays!
However, I'm wondering why u'r not using X-Amiga (http://xamiga.net) instead of Amithlon ? X-Amiga has a more modern linux kernel than Amithlon, so it boots on modern PCs. PLUS, it emulates custom chips and all, while Amithlon emulates just the cpu. Amithlon may feel a bit faster, but on today's PCs any speed difference that may exist is barely noticeable. Also Cloanto offer a similar solution to X-Amiga, in their Amiga Forever Plus CD Edition.

Cos XAmiga is

1) no longer supported
2) doesnt work
3) is flaky - no SATA support
4) is slower BECAUSE it emulates the chipset. Amithlon is faster

but seriously I would prob use XAmiga if it was abandoned by the author
Old 03 May 2009, 20:15   #171
amiga

Quote:
Cos XAmiga is

1) no longer supported
2) doesnt work
3) is flaky - no SATA support
4) is slower BECAUSE it emulates the chipset. Amithlon is faster

but seriously I would prob use XAmiga if it was abandoned by the author

1) Is Amithlon supported any longer ??
4) on today's PCs speed difference is minimal.

Anyway the solution offered by Cloanto (contained in its Amiga Forever Plus Edition, which is similar to xamiga, albeit being based on Knoppix instead of Gentoo) works on SATA.
Old 06 May 2009, 00:51   #172
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga View Post
Anyway the solution offered by Cloanto (contained in its Amiga Forever Plus Edition, which is similar to xamiga, albeit being based on Knoppix instead of Gentoo) works on SATA.
Have you installed KX Light on HDD then? Care to share how it went?
Old 06 May 2009, 09:27   #173
amiga

Quote:
Have you installed KX Light on HDD then? Care to share how it went?
Actually I haven't tried KX Light at all, but there may be some people here on EAB who have tried it.
As for HD installation, this page may help you: http://www.amigaforever.com/kxlight/installation/
Old 06 May 2009, 22:17   #174
Predabot

The suspense is on... will Methanoid be converted to KX Light or will he remain true to Amithlon?? ^^
Old 06 May 2009, 23:09   #175
lost_loven

kx light is pretty good, only problem i had was once it was installed the workbench was write protected, so had to drop into the command line and goto the workbench dir and un enable the write protection, other than that it runs pretty sweet, have it set up on a old ide 20 gig hd by itself along side my 320 gig sata xp and 160 gig ide mac x drive.

lost
Old 07 May 2009, 16:12   #176
arti

Hello, I wonder if is is possible to make USB stick to be seen as hardisk on Amithlon. I can't afford Poseidon and seek alternative method.

Any help is much anticipated.
Old 07 May 2009, 16:20   #177
Xytec

Well I just installed KXLight (I LOVE IT when a CD boots a full working OS and you know its going to install)

First Impressions..... Its great Everything working, sound internet USB EVERYTHING.

Although I got a Ram disk full when I used the internet?? and ran out of memory!!

Where can I find info on 'tweaks' ?
Old 07 May 2009, 16:54   #178
Xytec

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_loven View Post
kx light is pretty good, only problem i had was once it was installed the workbench was write protected, so had to drop into the command line and goto the workbench dir and un enable the write protection, other than that it runs pretty sweet, have it set up on a old ide 20 gig hd by itself along side my 320 gig sata xp and 160 gig ide mac x drive.

lost
Can you run through the instructions for an Idiot please?

Step by Step if possible, it took me 20 odd tries to find the place to type afinstall when I was installing!!
Old 07 May 2009, 16:58   #179
Xytec

Oh can it be 'updated' to OS 3.5 or 3.9 too?? Once the write protects sorted?
Old 08 May 2009, 00:33   #180
lost_loven

so you have it installed now?

http://www.amigaforever.com/kxlight/installation/