English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 11 February 2005, 23:56   #21
Haakon

So if it WAS possible for transfer-speed up to 40 kb, it still would be impossible?

Isn't the ADF's "perfect" copies of a disk? I thought this (again theoretical) could be done by running an "emulator" on the Amiga which said "from now on, dont use DF0: but use all the signals from the serial/parallel-port and treat it like it was from the DF0:". This way, the DF0: was never in use and if a game asked for data (load), the "emulator" (which had to be resistent in memory) made sure the disc-traffic went through the cable, and not the DF0:...
Old 12 February 2005, 00:02   #22
Firthy2002
2nd era...

Send a message via ICQ to Firthy2002 Send a message via AIM to Firthy2002 Send a message via MSN to Firthy2002 Send a message via Yahoo to Firthy2002
It wouldn't be impossible, redirecting DF0: can be done, but you'd need a very good understanding of how trackdisk and kickstart handle drive assignments.
Old 12 February 2005, 01:56   #23
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon
(...) This way, the DF0: was never in use and if a game asked for data (load), the "emulator" (which had to be resistent in memory) made sure the disc-traffic went through the cable, and not the DF0:...
That's another problem. Where in memory would you store that program? You would need to know which memory locations would be "safe" from the game you were running.

The only way would be to use external hardware that hardcoded whatever external device you would hook up to the floppy, parallel, serial or expansion port as DF0: and disabled the Amigas internal drive.

If you could get this to work, you could probably reach ridiculously high transfer speeds. But it would take Rob Northern, Randy Linden, the whole CAPS team and Jay Miners ghost (rest his soul) to make it work!

Last edited by Sune Salminen; 12 February 2005 at 02:02.
Old 12 February 2005, 07:20   #24
MelOtt

I guess I kinda mis-understood what you wanted to do..
But it still isn't that hard to do. If you have an expansion card slot oh the A500
you would use an XSerf lan card and a lan card in the PC. Set up your own local
network between the Amiga and the PC. Then you can use the PC as just a file
server to the Amiga. I bought the nessary cards,Hub and cables to hookup my
2 Amigas and 2 PC's for a local net, I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.
The only problem I see here is finding a Zorro 2 slot expansion for the A500.
The rest is easy.

Old 12 February 2005, 07:59   #25
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

That wouldn't work for .adf images though.
Old 12 February 2005, 08:33   #26
Haakon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sune Salminen
If you could get this to work, you could probably reach ridiculously high transfer speeds. But it would take Rob Northern, Randy Linden, the whole CAPS team and Jay Miners ghost (rest his soul) to make it work!

hehehe, i get the point. Impossible...
Old 12 February 2005, 08:36   #27
Haakon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelOtt
. Then you can use the PC as just a file
server to the Amiga. .
yes, but like Sune Salminen said, that won't work with ADF's...
Old 12 February 2005, 13:16   #28
manicx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd
@ Keropi

No, serial isn't the onlt way dude
I use to connect my PC and Amigas through the parallel port and share the PC drives on the Amiga side. I usually use this method to pass files to the Amiga side. Never failed me for 7 years now... Dead easy too.
Old 12 February 2005, 13:24   #29
TheAmigaMan
Amiga 3000 owner

Quote:
Guess this would be the right place to ask this theoretical question:

I am having an A500. Is it (theoretical) possible to make a program for the A500 which uses a PC as its diskdrive? I have read some of the faq's about transferring ADF's from the PC to the Amiga, but it seems that you must write them to disks before using them on the Amiga.

At first i thought it would be impossible because of the transfer-rate between Amiga/PC (serial-cable), but then i read this about amigaexplorer:

f you would like to use Amiga Explorer over a serial connection, the following articles include schematics to assemble the null-modem cable yourself, as well as part numbers and pricing information for standard cables, and for Bluetooth serial adapters:
3-105 - Null-Modem Serial Cables
3-193 - Bluetooth Serial Adapters

If you prefer to use Amiga Explorer over TCP/IP, which allows for very fast connections over Ethernet, the Amiga Explorer documentation includes a complete tutorial on the installation of Ethernet and TCP/IP in mixed Amiga/PC environments. If you already have a network you only need to enter the Amiga's host name or IP address in the Amiga Explorer settings on Windows. If there is a firewall or router anywhere between the two, make sure that port 356 is not blocked. Change the default connection password on both the Amiga and the Windows side as an additional safety precaution.

Does that mean that you can get faster transfer rates between my old A500 and my PC than a serial cable, or is it just newer Amiga's that it is possible?
And can that faster transfer rate compare to the speed the Amiga 500 uses to read it's disks? And if so, is it then (again theoretical) possible to use my PC as a storage for all my ADF's, and when using my Amiga, i could access the ADF's as i would like through the connection...?

Making any sense here? Totally unrealistic?
Does your PC have a CD-RW drive? If so, just burn all of the ADFs to a CD-R and then place this CD into your Amiga's CD Rom drive. Then you will be able to create real Amiga disks from the ADFs that are on the CD-R disc.
Old 12 February 2005, 13:30   #30
Haakon

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicx
I use to connect my PC and Amigas through the parallel port and share the PC drives on the Amiga side. I usually use this method to pass files to the Amiga side. Never failed me for 7 years now... Dead easy too.
But you still have to copy the ADF to a disk before using it?
Old 12 February 2005, 13:33   #31
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

Stick out tongue

Yes!
Old 12 February 2005, 13:38   #32
Haakon

I think Sune Salminen and Keropi understands exactly what i am trying to achieve here, and i take their words that it is impossible
Old 12 February 2005, 13:55   #33
TheAmigaMan
Amiga 3000 owner

Quote:
But you still have to copy the ADF to a disk before using it?
That's right. All of my games are on disks or CDs and are ready to be used on a real Amiga.
Old 13 February 2005, 01:44   #34
Firthy2002
2nd era...

Send a message via ICQ to Firthy2002 Send a message via AIM to Firthy2002 Send a message via MSN to Firthy2002 Send a message via Yahoo to Firthy2002
Quote:
I think Sune Salminen and Keropi understands exactly what i am trying to achieve here, and i take their words that it is impossible
Probably not impossible, just extremely difficult.
Old 14 February 2005, 04:54   #35
MelOtt

Ok.. I guess I'm still not clear here on what the problem is.
What I see is .. use Parnet to transfer the files from the PC to the amiga's ram or
HD then use 'ADF2Disk' to write the Amiga format disks. Unless I'm missing the point
you want to read the ADF file in the PC drive.
Why not just write the Amiga disk and eliminate all the hassle ??

Old 14 February 2005, 10:36   #36
Haakon

I have just (last couple of months) taken my old A500 down from the attic. A lot (most) of the disks i have has gotten read/write error, probably because of age. Since I can't get totally the Amiga-feeling playing through Winuae, i will try to setup the A500 so I can use that as long as it still lives. I thought i would be very practical to not having the need to write everything to disks before watching (demos) and playing (games). And having a large PC-harddrive connected with all of my game and demos ADF-files would have made the process a lot less time-consuming (time for playing with my a500 is very limited when you have a job, wife and two small kids ). And also practical storing my ADF's on a large HD, making sure it also get's backup etc.

By the way, can you use ordinary PC-disks in the Amiga (1.44), or do i have to get hold of old Amiga-disks?

Last edited by Haakon; 14 February 2005 at 11:18.
Old 14 February 2005, 13:53   #37
StarEye
Zone Friend

You should be able to use the 1.44mb disks, as long as their formatted into 880k. But they're not very reliable, so don't overuse them. They weren't meant for this kind of usage. (I read this in another topic on this forum... lots of stuff to learn here )

But seriously, why not just get a harddrive for you amiga? With enough memory and maybe an accelerator you can play every game through just a few clicks, if you use WHDload. No need for WinUAE or that emulation-humbug, you'll have the real thing, but faster.
Old 14 February 2005, 21:30   #38
Haakon

I tried the search, but did not find the topic you mention.

Yes, hardrive is a solution. I probably will look into that in the future, since there is no hope for "my" solution. What are the largest HD available for Amiga, and should/must i upgrade to a Amiga 1200?
Old 14 February 2005, 21:36   #39
StarEye
Zone Friend

Well, there's no limit for the size of the harddrive, but unless you change the hd filesystem, you won't be able to use more than 4 giga. The beast option is getting an A1200 with 030 and 16mb fast (or more) and a cd-rom drive. If you have that, you can buy any 3,5" IDE hd, or 2,5" if you prefer. I recommend getting a kickstart 3.1 amiga 1200, as you need that kickstart if you want to use OS3.5/3.9.
Old 14 February 2005, 21:56   #40
wlcina

and what about flash drive instead of floppy ? or some kind of floppy:-> usbkey converter ;-) all electronics will be in a fake floppy drive and data will be on usb key ;-) 2 or 4mb usb key will be enough ;-)