English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 21 June 2005, 18:28   #1
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Question Evaluate a location on floppy disk by offset? (c/h/s)

I wonder if something like this exists on aminet, but if I don't know the name ...

Usually, I'm cross-working on both Windows and WinUAE (Amiga), hence this would come in handy: comfortably edit disk images on WinHex (Windows), then using it back on the Amiga.
Problem is a Windows tool will only give me a raw offset number like $B1E00.

Is there any tool available that will compute the track, head and sector from the offset, so I can see where exactly I am on the disk image?
A formula would come in handy too; then I'd write it myself as a little console app on (Turbo) C Win32.

Last edited by andreas; 21 June 2005 at 21:42.
Old 21 June 2005, 18:40   #2
IFW

c*0x2c00+h*0x1600+s*0x200
c: 0...79 (or upto 83)
h: 0...1
s: 0...10
Old 21 June 2005, 21:38   #3
andreas
Zone Friend

Umm thanks, but this doesn't OUTPUT me the track header or sector if an offset is given.

Anyway, I'm a bit further now.
(NOTE: I will calculate with real cylinders 0 .. 79, not "tracks" 0..159 as this always confuses me a lot )

[DIV = integer division]
given is: offset in hex (0x00000 .. 0xDBFFF)

cylinder = offset DIV 0x2c00

head = (offset DIV 0x1600) MOD 0x02
{ odd or even; result is equal to head # }

sector = (offset >> 9) MOD 0x0B

long word # = (offset >> 2) MOD 0x80
{ only for logical reasons: offset MOD 0x80 works too! }

This works, looks a bit complicated, though. Moreover, pity I cannot use shift with the other half here because the divisors are no powers of 2

Last edited by andreas; 23 June 2005 at 03:23.
Old 22 June 2005, 13:05   #4
IFW

Well if you think this is complex... oh dear
Anyway if you are so much concerned you shouldn't have used MOD which is the remainder of a division and such is performed by using a division. For two numbers there you can use an AND operation instead.
Old 22 June 2005, 19:54   #5
andreas
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFW
Well if you think this is complex... oh dear
*bzzzt* Wrong! I said this is complicated, which is not the same!
If I think it is complicated, it means that it's me who is probably thinking too complicated and that any other people might find a simpler way!
Though it looks it's a working and not-considered-too-complicated way.
So I will keep this.

Quote:
Anyway if you are so much concerned
You ALWAYS should. This is good programming; as it doesn't get you into this "bahh, we have 3 ghz machines - who cares!" thinking.
I still use *unsigned short* whenever possible, although by average, no machine might care about this nowadays. But -- sorry I'm getting a bit OT -- this is what makes WinFellow run on low-end machines: only using CPU and memory hogs if really necessary; all other techniques follow the "use the LEAST you require" rule. And I think this is good practice, and I'm very happy to see this in all those GPL applications coded for Linux. Rant over.

Quote:
you shouldn't have used MOD which is the remainder of a division and such is performed by using a division. For two numbers there you can use an AND operation instead.
AND? Well you should know about that! Thanks!
When thinking a formula in my head, I usually use MOD because that way, it is easier to predict results. For AND, I will usually have to write the value down in binary (yes, even on paper ) as well as AND it by hand, so I can assure the result is the one I wanted.
OR is usually predictable; but AND does a lot of modifications...
But well, if AND really works exactly as MOD with two binary numbers, this is even better

Last edited by andreas; 22 June 2005 at 20:19.
Old 22 June 2005, 20:47   #6
IFW

NP

As for using short vs int I have sad news for you: modern cpus - anything from PII/PPro class..., or PPC, G3+, MIPS, Cell, etc - only process their native instruction size fast and struggle with shorter types. At best they just stall the cache at worst the memory bus.
Also to prevent stalls you should put your variables aligned for cpu memory access. Ie never use an odd address (major speed penalty) or an address that is not divisible by the data size without modulo. - like say address 2, 6, .... for a a 4 byte value is bad, but 0, 4, 8 etc is good, same logic with quads, ie only addresses ending on 0 and 8 in hex are acceptable without a stall.
The same is also true for graphics, framebuffers and so on.

So if speed is your concern you are better off learning cpu stuff, if size you are fine with unnatural (non-cpu native) data sizes.

Sorry
Old 22 June 2005, 21:25   #7
andreas
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFW
NP

As for using short vs int I have sad news for you: modern cpus - anything from PII/PPro class..., or PPC, G3+, MIPS, Cell, etc - only process their native instruction size fast and struggle with shorter types. At best they just stall the cache at worst the memory bus.
Ooaahh.

Quote:
Also to prevent stalls you should put your variables aligned for cpu memory access. Ie never use an odd address (major speed penalty) or an address that is not divisible by the data size without modulo. - like say address 2, 6, .... for a a 4 byte value is bad, but 0, 4, 8 etc is good, same logic with quads, ie only addresses ending on 0 and 8 in hex are acceptable without a stall.
The same is also true for graphics, framebuffers and so on.
Yeah..

BTW your (binary) MOD = (bitwise) AND did not work for any formula

Quote:
sector = (offset >> 9) MOD 0x0B
With ... AND 0x0B, you will get crap, e. g. sector = 11 which doesn't exist at all. I will keep to MOD for now...
Old 22 June 2005, 21:29   #8
IFW

Since when 11 is a well divisible binary number to use for ANDing...?
*Two* of the numbers above are good for optimisation you picked the wrong one.
C'mon you can do better that that
Old 23 June 2005, 00:32   #9
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
try hexedit, it give the right offset on an ADF, for example when an adf is 901120
it's $DC000 ? well hexedit gives you the right length.....

Hexedit is a simple and nice hexadécimal editor ^^
Old 23 June 2005, 03:19   #10
andreas
Zone Friend

Why doesn't anyone understand me, hey?
The offset is the input, the output is cyl xx, head xx, sector xx, optionally block xx. As in my tool I've just finished. Should compile fine on BOTH (!) unix and msdos/win32.
Or someone can even manage to port this to Amiga. Good luck!

Last edited by andreas; 23 June 2005 at 13:04.
Old 23 June 2005, 09:07   #11
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Your compiler is not particularly strict. It is good style to declare all variables before calling any functions. For the hell of it I ran it through GCC and got these:

Code:
locate.c: In function `menuSelect':
locate.c:192: parse error before `unsigned'
locate.c:195: `ch' undeclared (first use in this function)
locate.c:195: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
locate.c:195: for each function it appears in.)
locate.c: In function `pressKey':
locate.c:253: parse error before `unsigned'
locate.c:255: `d' undeclared (first use in this function)
locate.c:258: `ch' undeclared (first use in this function)
You could probably write a PHP page or javascript to output the data you need in about 10 lines btw... 200+ lines for this program seems overkill to me!

Also there is no need to give this file a CPP extension when it's 100% C...
Old 23 June 2005, 13:03   #12
andreas
Zone Friend

I used gcc on cygwin (Win32 unix layer) which usually behaves almost exactly like Linux gcc. I could reveal some of your errors by using gcc -pedantic. I now know what you mean: ISO C90! I must not use any declaration after a statement. Thanks. I've fixed this - should compile fine now.

About CPP: Tell that to the others too. I found zillions of source code with cpp extension but not even 'cout' used inside.

About why no Javascript/PHP: Sir, I want a standalone application! Why do I want to program server-side when I require a server for it? *That* is overkill, to require a web server running for PHP or a HTML page as a container to run (client-side, mind you!) JavaScript!

About the number of lines: I do like a good user interface!! And also I like to tell what the program does instead of people having to look for extra readme files...
That's what takes most of it, not the calculation!
It's not me who caused all that problems with echoing characters, etc! getch() works so well on MSDOS, but is incompatible. And getchar() just lets me run off but not stop while waiting for input. User I/O is really a major annoyance in C, if you want to write *portable* code. Well as in FAQs, you get told to use system interrupts (!) for requesting user input without pressing RETURN, this is tough stuff.
Attached Files
File Type: zip LOCATEPO.zip (14.3 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by andreas; 23 June 2005 at 15:19.