English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 18 March 2002, 14:10   #1
Tim Janssen

Question Chaos Engine 2

I have some trouble running Bitmap Bros' The Chaos Engine 2 which I have downloaded from Ninja's AGA world in WinUAE
Once you start the game in one-player mode, you enter a character-selection screen.When you have selected two characters, the game refuses to progress to the next screen. Somehow the Exit-button in the character-screen refuses to work.

What did I do wrong? Do I have a wrong copy of the game or have I used the wrong configuration?
Old 20 March 2002, 12:38   #2
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I'm not sure, as I have never played CE2, but it doesn't sound like you have a bodgy version IMHO. Perhaps, after selecting your desired character, you need to do something else?

Like, (and I'm working from the original CE here) pick a "special power", allocate experience points, spend a certain amount of money on weapons, powerups, etc.

Maybe you must do something like this before the game will let you continue to the next screen.

Still, this is all guesswork , but I hope it helps!
Old 20 March 2002, 14:38   #3
Drake1009

Nope you just select your person and your opponent (Yes I did say opponent, not partner, no more coop)
Old 20 March 2002, 16:54   #4
Tim Janssen

Floppy disk I have put it in The Zone

Hmm, I have to check out this game tonight. Maybe I really did something wrong.

For anyone who is interested, I have put Chaos Engine 2 in The Zone. Maybe someone here at EAB can get the game to work with the right configuration.
Old 20 March 2002, 18:35   #5
Paul
RIP Friends

I can't get it to work either. I tried everything I could think of, even tried NTSC mode, winuae 8.8r9 etc.

I found ESC deselects a player
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ce2.gif
Views:	547
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	2059  
Old 20 March 2002, 19:45   #6
Drake1009

You must confirm with both controllers on the exit button (Joystick and mouse if that's the standard selection for the other input) and you'll go on. I didn't remember this from earlier but it's likely that you might have to do this multiple places.

This is the case in both the version uploaded and the Lightforce crack. I'm guessing that the programmers forgot something when making the player vs. CPU option. Or it could've been intentional for some strange reason which is beyond me. At any rate. It works. Happy playing.
Old 21 March 2002, 03:51   #7
Dalai

Yes, this happens on my original version on my A1200, too. Kind of annoying having to press both buttons. I seem to remember you needed two joysticks plugged in?
Old 21 March 2002, 06:19   #8
Drake1009

You don't need the second joystick for getting the game running or getting through a good deal of levels. The left mouse button works as fire.
Old 21 March 2002, 10:45   #9
Tim Janssen

Unhappy Unplayable Chaos

Hmm, this is very odd. I have tried to run Chaos Engine 2 yesterday and somehow I have managed to get it running.
I have tried a different configuration in which I emulated a 68040 CPU and everything works fine now.
My general experience is that the menu-screens seem not to be very responsive to joystick. So maybe that caused the delay/problem in the character-selection screen.

Now I have tried out the game I am very, very disappointed with it. As Drake said before, the game has turned into a competition between you and a (computer-generated) opponent. This makes the game one unplayable unsatisfying experience.
Here is a short story about my experience in Chaos Engine 2 in which I chose character Thief and the computer became Marine.
- First try, Level 1: Marine got the key and exited the level. I had 5 seconds to find also the exit but I got lost.
- Second try, Level 1: Marine got the key and exited the level. I too found the exit, it was a draw.
- Third try, Level 1: Marine shot me death.
- Fourth try, Level 1: There wasn't a fourth try. I ran out of lives. It was Game Over.
Now call that a 'playable experience'.
Old 21 March 2002, 15:24   #10
Drake1009

Sounds like a particularly bad experience. There's a bit more to it than finding the key and exiting. You fight to complete goals and only shoot each other to steal each other's stuff. Though way below CE1 in rating it was still somewhat enjoyable in multiplayer.
Old 21 March 2002, 23:27   #11
Dalai

Mmmm, CE2 plays more like a deathmatch competition, as opposed to the arcade adventure/shooter style of the original.
Old 21 March 2002, 23:31   #12
oldpx

It's not 'that' bad once you get used to it :/

Old 22 March 2002, 11:13   #13
Tim Janssen

Big grin Second thoughts

Maybe you are right. I was certainly not impressed by the gameplay when I first played it. Maybe the game deserves a second chance.