English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 20 August 2018, 13:37   #1
spudje

Mod library management software?

Finally I almost have my PC + Amiga (PT-1210) DJ setup ready. I'm currently leaching many mods.

Now I'm wondering, is there an AmigaOS tool that allows me to manage my (future) mod collection. Typically what you would do with apps like iTunes, or most modern DJ applications. So having them organised in folders, having some meta data for them (genre, rating, etc.)

Thanks!
Old 20 August 2018, 15:16   #2
daxb

I don't know if such a tool exists but maybe a database program fits your needs as alternative.
Old 21 August 2018, 00:11   #3
Axxy

I would imagine that XMPlay has the closest playlist/meta-data editing capabilities on the PC for mods. Don't think there is anything close to Winamp style editor for modules though. No idea about the Amiga side of things...
Old 21 August 2018, 01:52   #4
Korodny
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
Now I'm wondering, is there an AmigaOS tool that allows me to manage my (future) mod collection. Typically what you would do with apps like iTunes
When the iTunes style (i.e. library based) players got popular on other platforms, most mod players on the Amiga were long dead. Additionally, mods do not contain standardised meta information (artist, year, album, track no. etc.) that a player could read to create its database.

In other words: You're out of luck, IMHO. Your best bet would be to give tracks 'speaking' names like 'composer - title.mod' and then add all of them to your playlist in hippoplayer/delitracker. I can't remember if Hippyplayer could recursively scan directories, for delitracker there's a tool on Aminet that does this and creates a Delitracker playlist.
Old 21 August 2018, 11:04   #5
Steffest

I would leverage the existing mod databases out there that already have all that meta data.
For example https://modarchive.org has a decent API with structured data like genre, rating, artist, ... and there's a good chance your mods are there already.
If not you can add them there too.

Ok, an online library is not the same as your own collection on your own harddrive, but still there's a ton of usefully info already there.
Now that would be a cool AmigaOS software project: scan your harddrive, calculate the checksum of a mod file, retrieve the meta info from an online API and populate your local interface ...
If only there would be 48 hours in a day ...
Old 21 August 2018, 13:27   #6
Steffest

On second though ...
That sounds like it could be an extension to the open source AmiModRadio ... ( http://aminet.net/package/mus/play/AmiModRadio ) That already has ties to lot's of online mod databases so an addon that also scans and matches your local files sounds plausible.

There was also "ModExplorer" bit that projects seems to be gone.
Old 05 September 2018, 09:38   #7
spudje

Yeah, modexplorer seems OK, http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=84317
I found a link to a version on A1k, not yet tried it out.

I think lack of programming skills and more so free time (read, too many other stuff higher on the to do list) will not have me experiment with the enrichment of MOD meta data from online libraries.
Old 25 March 2022, 03:37   #8
tygre
Returning fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffest View Post
On second though ...
That sounds like it could be an extension to the open source AmiModRadio ... ( http://aminet.net/package/mus/play/AmiModRadio ) That already has ties to lot's of online mod databases so an addon that also scans and matches your local files sounds plausible.

There was also "ModExplorer" bit that projects seems to be gone.
Hi and thanks!

Excellent idea

Cheers!