English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 March 2003, 08:01   #1
DeAMI

pcmcia cdrom compatability question

howdy, can anyone tell me what kind of pcmcia cdrom model would run on an amiga 1200HD and, where i can get one from?
cheers

Old 24 March 2003, 09:53   #2
TikTok

There are different paths you can take. You can get a PCMCIA SCSI adaptor such as the Squirrel or Surf Squirrel, which will allow you to attach almost any SCSI device, including CDROMS, harddisks, etc. I have a Squirrel on my A600 and have never had any problems with it whatsoever.

Alternatively, if you will only ever want to attach a CDROM, you can get models that just connect direct to the PCMCIA port and don't allow future expansion. There was one model like this called the Zappo I believe, but I think they are harder to find than the SCSI based solutions. You can try Power Computing (www.powerc.com) and see what they list nowadays.
Old 24 March 2003, 09:58   #3
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

There is also the Q-Drive from Amiga Technologies and the CD1200 controller which only works with drives compatible to the old Mitsumi standard (up to doublespeed).
Old 24 March 2003, 11:06   #4
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Creosote
There is also the Q-Drive from Amiga Technologies and the CD1200 controller which only works with drives compatible to the old Mitsumi standard (up to doublespeed).
Not quite There are two Driver Disks for the CD1200 Controller, one is for 2x Mitsumi CDRoms, the other can be used with nearly any ATAPI CDRom
Old 24 March 2003, 11:54   #5
DeAMI

is there a place on the net where i can get a squirrel scsi pcmcia card cheap?

Old 24 March 2003, 13:52   #6
Amiga1992

Define cheap :P

www.eyetech.co.uk , www.softhut.com and www.powerc.com should store Squirrels.
Old 24 March 2003, 22:49   #7
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
try a wanted ad on www.amibench.com and check the for sale section too, they're quite often there.

A nice (but slow) external scsi cdrom is the Aiwa ACD-300, I've seen them for about £20 on amibench. LCD display on the front, play/pause, stop, prev, next and repeat buttons on the front for audio play, and a couple of phono connectors on the back to go to an amp...

alternativly, get an 4 way IDE adaptor and run an IDE cable out the back of your miggy and bung a cheap IDE cdrom on it with an old PSU (MAC LC series PSU's are very good, they just unclip from the mac, you can pick up the old MAC's for £5 at carboot sales).