English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 23 August 2008, 21:03   #1
Drake008@

UAE KXLight and my Workbench 3.9 SCSI HDD from my Amiga

How can I see that HDD in the kxlight Version of UAE (that is the only pc I got with scsi controller in it.)

I really need to copy files from the AMiga Scsi HDD to my PC Scsi HDD. The serial cable won't work and I dont have any scsi burner. SO that is the only way left to get these urgent files.

Please people help me here.

I did the -disableharddrivesafetycheck flag on My Win98SE WinUAE 1.4.4 version and I cannot click on AddHardrive... . Is it because of the scsi controller but if that would be so why are the other hdds recognized (the ones with FAT32 on it)

Last edited by Drake008@; 23 August 2008 at 21:39.
Old 23 August 2008, 21:49   #2
musojon74

hi drake. I am by far not the most knowledgable Amigan here, but i think you need an nt kernel (2000, xp, vista) version of windows to use real hard drives with uae.
Old 23 August 2008, 21:59   #3
Drake008@

Quote:
Originally Posted by musojon74 View Post
hi drake. I am by far not the most knowledgable Amigan here, but i think you need an nt kernel (2000, xp, vista) version of windows to use real hard drives with uae.
No other option?

I don'T have any SCSI controller the one I have is on my board and this is a Win98 pc (which is needed!)
Old 23 August 2008, 23:29   #4
thomas

You could use another Linux live CD, Ubuntu for example. Linux can mount Amiga partitions.

However, now that you booted Win98 with the HDD connected, Linux will probably no longer recognize it. And your Amiga will probably no longer boot, either. This is because Win9x destroys the Amiga partition table.

WinUAE can fix this, but as already mentioned it needs Win2000 or above.
Old 07 September 2008, 03:51   #5
mark_k

With luck your Amiga HD will still be bootable on the Amiga.

Before going any further, I would suggest a couple of things:
- If your Amiga HD has a write-protection jumper (see the docs for that model on the manufacturer's web site), set it so the drive is write-protected.
- Download a forensic Linux boot CD like Helix from http://www.e-fense.com/helix/

The idea is twofold: First, to make an exact image copy of your entire Amiga drive for safekeeping on your PC, without any risk of overwriting data on it. You can then compress the image file and burn it to CD or DVD or whatever. If you've never used Linux before the learning curve to do that might be quite steep though.

Then, working with a copy of the image file, you can mount the file in WinUAE as a hard drive and access your Amiga files from there.