English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 15 September 2019, 14:44   #121
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Just watched your video. The way you jail the blue blobs is really cool !
Old 15 September 2019, 14:56   #122
capehorn

Thank you, it seemed like the right method, but clearly there are better ways. (BTW I edited my post, the version now linked is more streamlined and has more time remaining).

I wonder if Tsak or Alpine will tell us which of these was their intended method, or maybe we haven't come across it yet?

Last edited by capehorn; 15 September 2019 at 16:00.
Old 15 September 2019, 16:18   #123
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by capehorn View Post
[...] it seemed like the right method [...]
I see more the right method as the one that allows you to finish the level in a safe way and then I see the remaining time as a bonus. This is the reason I never search for the "perfect" at first go.

Quote:
[...] I wonder if Tsak or Alpine will tell us which of these was their intended method, or maybe we haven't come across it yet?
Let's see what they think about our ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
[...] @lvl29: Wow, that's impressive!
Thank you

Regarding level 27 : I have decided to finally post my level 27 since there is a timing difference between you and I, John. You can have a look here.

Here is my level 31. I think this is the level where we should have the less difference in the road (Don't know why the switch did not move at the end. Maybe my netbook keyboard is getting old due to Worthy's play ). I haven't recoded any level after 31 yet. As said, I am not happy enough with my solutions.

Edit : If you want to, this solution can be improved as well (by 2-3+ seconds )

Last edited by malko; 15 September 2019 at 18:16.
Old 15 September 2019, 16:53   #124
capehorn

I may be fixating on level 30 a bit too much, but I took your method Malko and improved it.

Not picking up the sword first time was deliberate, as hitting the switches while holding the sword costs time.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 15 September 2019, 17:03   #125
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Yes, sometimes I play it like this as well
Old 15 September 2019, 17:21   #126
john4p
Competition Moderator

Great stuff capehorn. I like your v2 of lvl30 the best - leading the blobs into the prison in the middle seems like the intended way to solve the level.
Old 15 September 2019, 18:28   #127
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

By the way @capehorn. Since you have reached level 30, why don't you post any better score than your 15K ?
Are you saving yourself to, at the last second, post a 90K score and take the gold ?
If you win, will it influence the next round play ?
Old 15 September 2019, 18:48   #128
capehorn

Because my drive is to get as far in the game as I can and see all the levels. I haven't been trying to complete the levels perfectly so at the moment I am not at the level as the rest of you in the top 3. The few times I have tred, even on very earlier levels, I look at them and think... 'how do I do this one again?!?', die a few times and give up any chance of time points and perfects. So my scores so far are rubbish.

But time is running out so I will work on the earlier levels again and see how far I can get. I doubt I will finish in the top 3, maybe I'll target 4th or 5th.
Old 15 September 2019, 19:01   #129
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
If you win, will it influence the next round play ?
It would. We'd play Cannon Fodder instead of Tennis.

Quote:
The few times I have tred, even on very earlier levels, I look at them and think... 'how do I do this one again?!?'
Just pause at the start of these levels and try to remember how to do them.
Old 15 September 2019, 19:37   #130
capehorn

Just had a go. Did the first few pretty well but lost several lives on levels 9, 13, 16, 17 and died on 18.

I am yet to work out a method to do level 13 with time remaining.

Old 15 September 2019, 20:21   #131
john4p
Competition Moderator

Okay, Tennis it is.
Old 15 September 2019, 21:43   #132
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
It would. We'd play Cannon Fodder instead of Tennis. [...]
Hum... I was not so bad at Pro Tennis Tour I & II BitD. Let's see if I did not forget everything.
This game reminds me a friend I liked to play this game with and who passed away...

Quote:
[...] Just pause at the start of these levels and try to remember how to do them.

PS: I am quite happy with my level 32 now. "Perfect" with about 30 seconds left . Will record it next go (to have the level name at the beginning).

Edit: By the way @Tsak & @alpine9000 I have an issue with the scoring of the level 32 . We will discuss it when I post my GIF
Think you should release a patch to correct something

Last edited by malko; 15 September 2019 at 22:00.
Old 15 September 2019, 21:59   #133
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Wow, guys, just wow! VERY impressive stuff!

Just so you know, me and Alex's solutions for lv30 were close to Capehorn's first attempt with some variations. As for "intended methods", it's like Malko says. Any solution that gets you to the goal safely is legit.
Old 15 September 2019, 22:06   #134
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
[...] Any solution that gets you to the goal safely is legit.
Thank you for bringing water to my mill (it will be useful for the level 32 scoring discussion)
Old 15 September 2019, 22:54   #135
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

I think I know what is your issue with lv32. You tried to perfect it by killing (at least) one blue, but that doesn't actually give you a perfect, right?

Problem is the way the score and badge system was configured from the get go was not able to cover all bases, so I had to make a compromise there (same issue also happens in lv37 - the game expects 2 reds and 2 blues to be killed to get a perfect, so be aware). Unfortunately there's no easy patch to apply other than change the level's structure. That's difinitely on my -todo- list if a DC verion ever comes out.
Old 15 September 2019, 23:47   #136
capehorn

Quote:
Wow, guys, just wow! VERY impressive stuff!

Just so you know, me and Alex's solutions for lv30 were close to Capehorn's first attempt with some variations. As for "intended methods", it's like Malko says. Any solution that gets you to the goal safely is legit.

Yes, it somehow 'felt' like the right solution.

And I think I've found a video of the creator's intended solution:

[ Show youtube player ]

It didn't occur to me that both blue blobs would simply walk into the prison.
Old 15 September 2019, 23:56   #137
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Yup, that's Alex's solution

He actually exploits the way the enemies do their pathfinding to get them to the prison. I figured that this wouldn't be something most people would know or find out (even though it's tipped in the manual), so I made sure there are other secure ways to get them in there.
Old 16 September 2019, 00:45   #138
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
I think I know what is your issue with lv32. You tried to perfect it by killing (at least) one blue, but that doesn't actually give you a perfect, right?

Problem is the way the score and badge system was configured from the get go was not able to cover all bases, so I had to make a compromise there (same issue also happens in lv37 - the game expects 2 reds and 2 blues to be killed to get a perfect, so be aware). Unfortunately there's no easy patch to apply other than change the level's structure. That's difinitely on my -todo- list if a DC verion ever comes out.
Exactly. Kill the fastest, play with the slowest
But since, as you say it from the first time, there is more than one way to succeed the all levels, I think this is a bug.
I won't complain too much (for the compo I received the game as a gift), anyway... such situation should be handled.
Here is my solution (with added text, sorry was ready before I saw your post)

Old 16 September 2019, 00:59   #139
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Exactly. Kill the fastest, play with the slowest
But since, as you say it from the first time, there is more than one way to succeed the all levels, I think this is a bug.
I won't complain too much (for the compo I received the game as a gift), anyway... such situation should be handled.
Here is my solution (with added text, sorry was ready before I saw your post)
You have to kill red blobs to get the medal. It's not a bug, it's a feature that makes it harder to complete the level perfectly (leaving the blue blobs alive).

As tsak said, it's a bit confusing, but it's a deliberate feature in this level.
Old 16 September 2019, 01:39   #140
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine9000 View Post
You have to kill red blobs to get the medal. It's not a bug, it's a feature that makes it harder to complete the level perfectly (leaving the blue blobs alive).

As tsak said, it's a bit confusing, but it's a deliberate feature in this level.
Ah ah ... Arrow are there to kill enemies (or hero). One arrow, one kill. Two arrows, two kills. As long as blobs are moving and can be killed, not counting the kills is not a feature in my point of view .
Quote:
[...] note that there are many ways to solve each level. [...]
Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine9000 View Post
[...] it's a feature that makes it harder to complete the level perfectly [...]
Harder to complete perfectly ?
I still think that if any blob has to be killed, colour does not matter. Thus every kill must be counted.

Last edited by malko; 16 September 2019 at 03:47.