English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 25 September 2012, 14:06   #41
Akira

Whoever said this was the most pointless thread in the past months, should get a reality check now.
This is how things should work out! The outcome of this thread makes me happy and inspires me to mess around with this stuff myself
AdSense AdSense  
Old 25 September 2012, 14:14   #42
TCD

Congratulations Sektor_83!

Got around to test the disk and it works nicely Keep it up
Old 25 September 2012, 20:06   #43
prowler
Global Moderator

Kudos to Sektor 83 for a successful first-time crack and for turning this thread around.

Last edited by prowler; 26 September 2012 at 19:51. Reason: Removed DiskMonTools references.
Old 25 September 2012, 20:11   #44
Sektor 83

Ah, thanks everybody
Old 25 September 2012, 22:35   #45
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Only if the hex editor allows block/sector/track-wise editing as otherwise you'll destroy the data. Sektor83 used the game's very own hd-installer to work around this problem, i.e. he has created a 100% DOS version of the game.
I thought the idea of the perfect crack would be a few changes made from the original as possible.

Don't get me wrong, I cannot crack anything get the odd urge every now and again but get the idea that once you start on the road there is a hell of a lot of learning to be done of assembly for a long dead system. I would be better learning something like c++.

And of course I do not have the time for either pursuit. Got a book on c++ about a year ago and didn't get past the first page before I got nagged to death.
Old 25 September 2012, 22:46   #46
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I thought the idea of the perfect crack would be a few changes made from the original as possible.
For me, a perfect crack is one that works. The way Sektor83 has cracked Battle Chess might've been unconventional but it does the job. Sometimes it is even required to make lots of changes to the original (think encrypted binaries or custom disk formats f.e.).

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I cannot crack anything get the odd urge every now and again but get the idea that once you start on the road there is a hell of a lot of learning to be done of assembly for a long dead system. I would be better learning something like c++.
Cracking can teach you a lot! And simple protections don't require that much assembly knowledge, quite the opposite actually.
Old 25 September 2012, 23:02   #47
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Well, I'm having a go at Battle Chess, just got to find me some instructions for action replay (or HRTMon)

....... and I've given up

Last edited by Ian; 25 September 2012 at 23:12.
Old 25 September 2012, 23:40   #48
MethodGit

You know, I almost forgot to share my cracking take on Battle Chess. Duly zoned.

Protection question skipped completely, edits made through the ADF and checksum-corrected by DMT.
Old 25 September 2012, 23:47   #49
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post
Protection question skipped completely, edits made through the ADF and checksum-corrected by DMT.
The 'perfect' crack, Ian?
Old 26 September 2012, 00:12   #50
Sektor 83

I've just downloaded MethodGit's BattleChess crack because I was curious as to what he did with the in-game protection, and to compare it with my own take on it. Unfortunately, I get the same 'Software Failure' guru message under a bog-standard A500 config that he posted in his first screenshot in this thread. Works fine under KS2.0 though.

Last edited by Sektor 83; 26 September 2012 at 00:18. Reason: ...
Old 26 September 2012, 00:18   #51
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sektor 83 View Post
I've just downloaded MethodGit's BattleChess crack because I was curious as to what he did with the in-game protection. Unfortunately, I get the same 'Software Failure' guru message under a bog-standard A500 config that he posted in his first screenshot in this thread. Works fine under KS2.0 though.
Same here. Once I double click the disk icon, I get the same error as in the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
The 'perfect' crack, Ian?
After having a look... not really
Old 26 September 2012, 00:21   #52
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Quote:
....... and I've given up
Actually I didn't. Got the memory address for the protection (different locations everytime don't know if this means anything)

Changed a value in Action replay to avoid the loop but it was already in it so was still frozen. but progress I suppose.

Guess if I try the same before failing the protection it will work.

Guess not.

Anyway...... Guess pressing x with action replay is what I missed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	160
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	32721  

Last edited by Ian; 26 September 2012 at 00:33.
Old 26 September 2012, 01:06   #53
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

So, as you can see I've kludged my way to "cracking" it, I think I've found the beginning of the protection FC0C88, I have tried altering it using a FC0C88 and forcing it to "BRA C13A7E" which is after the protection has been successfully passed but it will not let me.

I know you can trace forwards a step, is it possible to go backwards using action replay?

I assume if I can get to the original instruction to get to what I believe is the start of the protection I just bypass everything quite easily.

Not really interested in anyone telling me how to crack it, but more the options available in action replay.

Also, what did you use when you started Galahad? I assume action replay didn't exist until much later?
Old 26 September 2012, 01:11   #54
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sektor 83 View Post
I've just downloaded MethodGit's BattleChess crack because I was curious as to what he did with the in-game protection, and to compare it with my own take on it. Unfortunately, I get the same 'Software Failure' guru message under a bog-standard A500 config that he posted in his first screenshot in this thread. Works fine under KS2.0 though.
Do you mean when opening the WB window? You need to write-protect the disk to get around that. As has been explained, under a WB1.3 environment the disk tends to automatically write a .info onto itself and for whatever reason the Battle Chess disk keeps screwing this bit up (and it's definitely not related to any cracking).

I *did* enable the read-only flag on the ADF before uploading but I should've guessed that it doesn't transfer across downloads. I should've just zipped it up first!
Old 26 September 2012, 01:15   #55
TCD

Great way to crack it then...
Old 26 September 2012, 01:55   #56
prowler
Global Moderator

This thread is going off topic.

Please keep posting here for now. At this point, there are least three separate threads evolving. I will split it up as it develops.

Edit: Done!

Last edited by prowler; 26 September 2012 at 19:58.
Old 26 September 2012, 01:57   #57
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Great way to crack it then...
Please, see if you can do better. I didn't prioritise it since it's a fault with a clean ADF as well and I can't take further time trying to correct programmer mistakes!
Old 26 September 2012, 02:07   #58
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post
Please, see if you can do better. I didn't prioritise it since it's a fault with a clean ADF as well and I can't take further time trying to correct programmer mistakes!
Programmer mistakes? Oh dear!

Last edited by Galahad/FLT; 26 September 2012 at 02:33.
Old 26 September 2012, 02:28   #59
TCD

Actually I didn't crack anythng or ever will, but I don't think that's the point anyway. Check the QTX release for example. Or Sektor 83's. They don't crash on you when the disk is write enabled. Nice extra to removing the protection I'd say. At least put a message on the disk to let people know.
Old 26 September 2012, 03:34   #60
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Ok i give up on bypassing the protection entirely. Made my first baby steps. That'll do for now.
AdSense AdSense