English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 01 April 2007, 11:03   #1
jotd
This cat is no more

Gods -Deluxe- demo released

As I completed Supercars 3, I could release the first demo of Gods -Deluxe-.

ATM no sound and only first world of first level is playable, but that's just a start

http://perso.orange.fr/jotd/gods/
Old 01 April 2007, 11:31   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

That graphic filter will make this game uglier than original.
Old 01 April 2007, 12:00   #3
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325
That graphic filter will make this game uglier than original.
ok, more encouraging answers to come.
Old 01 April 2007, 12:06   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I like it. It is a bit slow on my 2.4GHz PC (which is scary) but I liked it.

You gonna make it work on a mobile phone or something? (Java)
Old 01 April 2007, 12:34   #5
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
I like it. It is a bit slow on my 2.4GHz PC (which is scary) but I liked it.

You gonna make it work on a mobile phone or something? (Java)
Slow? Play the original game you'll see the speed is the same.

I tested it on a PIV 1.6 GHz and found it OK

About mobile phone ports the thing is:

1) The graphics are resize x2 and reworked. On a mobile phone I would have to stick to the original graphics

2) I did not ask for permission to remake that one, and I doubt the Bros would allow me anyway, but the thing is: on a PC I don't think they care. Nevertheless if the unofficial port made its way to portable devices I don't think they'd like it and they'd most likely sue.
Old 01 April 2007, 13:30   #6
Ultron
Something

It's very nice!

There's a few errors on the player movement to iron out, seems to me he falls to fast compared to the original, jumping of stairs sometimes results in odd results as if you could regret the jump mid-air and still be on the stair. The lever pulling doesn't seem well centered and sometimes it doesn't take.

I really miss the SFX.

All in all it's pretty nice, and everything about the game seems to be in there, enemies, items, health, it's a lot of work. It was very nice to take a look at the source too!

I think the slowness - it's more like hiccups as the game engine runs at perfect speed - has more to do with JAVA.

Next? I'd probably like to see parallax scrolling with the sky on level 2, maybe some nice alpha blended glows next to explosion and item takings.
Old 01 April 2007, 15:29   #7
spiff
Oh noes!

Plays pretty close to the original, as everyone else says, jerks a bit with enemies and (vertical) scrolling at the same time. Perhaps split them into different threads?

I love the music remix

Possible small things to do:
Maybe increase the animation speed on explosions, monster creation and so on. It won't effect gameplay but will feel a bit smoother.

Not amiga way, but other ideas:
A bit faster update, I know it's not the amiga way, but both the snes and genesis where superfast, maybe something in between.

Bigger play field, once again not the amiga way, but it's a beautiful game and the more I see of the level, the nicer
Old 01 April 2007, 15:34   #8
Legerdemain

I'm impressed, I don't really know what else to say... though, some things I noticed:

1. While the actual level is displayed with square pixels... the items, enemies, the helmet of the main character (?) and some other things seems to be displayed through some kind of filter which makes them seem to be in higher resolution than the level in itself? The contrast between the two different styles of graphics do clash...(according to me).

2. At times a button pressed got stuck in the pressed state (the character refused to stop moving right until I pressed right again, and when doing so it stopped).

3. The game seems to run at an irregular speed on my setup. Small changes in the speed occurs every now and then, just like it's running in VSynced mode and doesn't manage to display all the frames requested. Irregular, not fluent, VSynced updates of the screen, that is... and it is mostly visible if looking at the scrolling text on the title screen. I'm running XP SP2 on an Athlon XP 2400+ with 256MB RAM and a Radeon 9600 GFX-card, if that can be of any help.

But, like I said... I am impressed...

If there ever was to be a wishlist... my little wish was to once and for all get rid of the non-smooth scrolling of the level itself... a bit like they have done in the Ruff'n'Tumble remake for Windows...

Great work, anyways! I wish I would have a bit more patience so that I could start coding things like this myself... but, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look upon it all) for me I am more of a player than a developer...

;-)
Old 01 April 2007, 16:01   #9
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
I think the slowness - it's more like hiccups as the game engine runs at perfect speed - has more to do with JAVA.
I agree with that, like in Super Cars there are some hiccups. But this is not very annoying. The Demo looks & plays promising, and i like the dance remix of "Into the Wonderful" in the first level.
Old 01 April 2007, 18:18   #10
jotd
This cat is no more

Thanks for all the comments.

I can respond to some of them:

- clash between "square" pixels and "filtered" graphics: the graphics are not filtered but retouched by hand. The only reason why it clashes is that the retouching is not completely done

- the dance remix is not by me: it's Bluejooz work, who also efficiently remixed Speedball 2

- about the speed: I could make different modes: normal and turbo, just like in IK+

- I noted down all the bugs that people reported, and I'll try to fix them. There's a long way to go on that one anyway.
Old 01 April 2007, 22:25   #11
Ultron
Something

Btw, is it possible to run the Level Editor? I notice it's there too
Old 02 April 2007, 00:03   #12
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultron
It's very nice!

Next? I'd probably like to see parallax scrolling with the sky on level 2, maybe some nice alpha blended glows next to explosion and item takings.
Like this ?

About level editor, yes, it's possible to run it, but I did not provide the .bat file to do so. The level editor is rather buggy, so I would not recommend it for anyone but me right now. What do you have in mind?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gods_level_2.png
Views:	478
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	13542  
Old 02 April 2007, 01:01   #13
Ultron
Something

Well in a still picture it's hard to see, but yeah kinda like that

The Map editor is interesting because new maps could be made, something that isn't possible with the Amiga version (or the PC for that matter) at all.
Old 02 April 2007, 10:43   #14
StarEye
Zone Friend

I don't like music in the background, but I assume that's just temporarily. The music is a bit buggy too, slowing down sometimes.

Other than that, a very good remake that stays extremely faithful to the original. And thanks for reminding me why I don't play old amiga games on my PC. Free anti-aliasing FTW!
Old 02 April 2007, 11:37   #15
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Well in a still picture it's hard to see, but yeah kinda like that

The Map editor is interesting because new maps could be made, something that isn't possible with the Amiga version (or the PC for that matter) at all.
That's the spirit!! But the map editor is so buggy right now that I cannot tell you to use it.
Besides, it is currently only possible to "import" an existing picture, not to create levels from scratch. It's not very hard to do, but since I did not have the need ...

If you want to create new levels right now, I can make an effort on the editor quickly, and give it to you. I'd be delighted to have new levels.
Of course, complex puzzles cannot be coded into the editor: it only allows basic associations such as lever+door+key or location+monster appears. Once you have designed the level, you have to code the specific behaviour using Java and the internal engine API. This is rather simple too. The tedious part is to design the level, not to code the puzzles.

@StarEye: You are right, I think the Gods music remix is cool, but not to be played during the game in the next versions, when I add proper SFX. In the meantime, it's better than no sound at all.

Last edited by jotd; 02 April 2007 at 17:28.
Old 02 April 2007, 17:45   #16
Ultron
Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd
That's the spirit!! But the map editor is so buggy right now that I cannot tell you to use it.
Besides, it is currently only possible to "import" an existing picture, not to create levels from scratch.
You mean it's not using a tilemap array?

If it is, even without an apropriate Level Editor you can just edit the array by hand Not pretty, but hey
Old 02 April 2007, 21:28   #17
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
You mean it's not using a tilemap array?

If it is, even without an apropriate Level Editor you can just edit the array by hand Not pretty, but hey
It is using a tilemap array. But the editor is just not working right now unless in "import" mode.

I'll try to improve it in the next weeks.
Old 02 April 2007, 22:10   #18
Carlos Ace

Send a message via ICQ to Carlos Ace
link not working ... it shows this message:
" Site suspendu par modération
Ce site a été suspendu par l’équipe de modération des pages perso.
Si vous en êtes le propriétaire, vous devez avoir reçu un courriel vous expliquant les raisons de sa suspension. Si vous souhaitez rétablir votre site Internet, merci de nous contacter au plus vite par courriel à l’adresse suivante: moderation.pagesperso.internet@orange-ft.com "
Old 02 April 2007, 22:24   #19
DamienD
Banned

See this post Carlos Ace

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=313849&postcount=16
Old 02 April 2007, 22:54   #20
Ultron
Something

How strange...