Vot

This thread bugs the hell out of me.

"WHAT does your 'game room' look like?"
Old 12 September 2014, 00:36   #1002
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Ejem... your girlfriend should become a writer, as she express clearly what all our women think but sometimes don't say:

”As long as you keep all your shit in there, I don’t care”."

The usual problem, the WAF! (*)

(*) = Wife Acceptance Factor
Old 12 September 2014, 00:44   #1003
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Yep... we only have the MSLF (*) as response.

(*) Men's Sweet Lie Factor: Use it to undervalue your very expensive and rare stuff.

BTW I hope all the girls aren't reading this...

Last edited by Retrofan; 12 September 2014 at 01:05.
Old 12 September 2014, 09:18   #1004
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett71 View Post
quick update....
Nice bar.

There's loads of room round the table , You should see my freinds pool table you can only play with a full size cue for 50% of it.

There's also lots of space for a full size Mame cab easy (they're only 2ft square), you don't want to scratch that nice new bar do you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post
This thread bugs the hell out of me.

"WHAT does your 'game room' look like?"
LOL yeah come on moderators sort it out

Last edited by Rob 1; 12 September 2014 at 09:39.
Old 12 September 2014, 16:53   #1005
brett71

Sorry about taking the thread into a non-Amiga, non-computer tangent. I just wanted to share...

The picture is a bit deceiving, though, about space. You've got to have a couple of feet around the table to move around and be able to take shots. A MAME cabinet where the cue sticks are in the back corners would make those corners impassible, let alone impossible to shoot from.

The picture was taken just after the bar had been delivered and set up, so I hadn't even seen the room first-hand yet. I saw it last night, and basically, there's just enough room left around the table, bar, couches and chair to move around, but not much else.

I just have to make sure that if I ever move to a new house, it has a bigger basement and a much wider room for the mancave/game room.
Old 27 December 2014, 18:23   #1006
Turran

A few months ago I decided to have a dedicated corner in my game room for old consoles and similar.

This is the result.

http://www.grandis.nu/images/GameRoom_Front1.jpg

The TV is a 42" Philips which sucks for Scart IMO. I'm going to replace it with something retro friendly.

Lets go through it though.
http://www.grandis.nu/images/GameRoom_Front2.jpg

From the top
Sega MegaDrive (genesis in the US) with SX32 and an Everdrive MD with basically all games.

Sega Saturn. Modded and region selection.

Sega Dreamcast. Original Rev1. I'm waiting on a better GDI emulator device for it. Not happy about the available selection right now.

Amiga CD32. Waiting on the RGB/IDE mod for it. Right now its just using composite.

http://www.grandis.nu/images/GameRoom_Front3.jpg

Sony Playstation. Modded.

Sony Playstation 2. Modded and also has free McBoot, network adapter with 400GB IDE disk. Running ~4TB of games from the file server directly.

Neo Geo AES with MVS Magic Key and MVS 161inOne cartridge.

http://www.grandis.nu/images/GameRoom_Front4.jpg

Top Left: Amiga 1200, 030, 64MB, Indivision AGA MK2. HDMI to TV.
Top Right, Commodore 64 with a 1541 Ultimate.

Middle left, Playstation 3. All original and not even hooked in right now...
Bottom Left. Nintendo Wii. Softmodded with 2TB HD connected.

Middle middle, XBOX 360. Modded and 4TB HD connected.
Middle bottom, XBOX. Modded. 400GB internal HD.

Middle right, Nintendo 64 with Everdrive. French N64 PAL model, True RGB modded.
Bottom right, Super Nintendo with a SD2SNES.

Not shown: Intellivision. Trying to RGB mod it right now in the den.

Just these two last days I have been cleaning it up with cables etc. At first, the were just laying there on the floor behind it, but it was a mess and the cats got stuck etc.. heh. Kinda funny.

Anyway, I put the whole thing on wheels so I can easily pull the whole thing out to gain access to the backside.

http://www.grandis.nu/images/GameRoom_Backside.jpg

http://www.grandis.nu/images/GameRoom_Backside2.jpg

Note the scart switchers. Got 3 of these baddies connected together and they have auto sense so I just turn on the console I want and the picture is there (provided the TV is set to Scart of course. Xbox360 and Amiga 1200 are using HDMI).

Fun fun =)
Old 28 December 2014, 14:40   #1007
ransom1122

U da man!! Will look at pics tomorrow
Old 28 December 2014, 19:44   #1008
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Awesome setup
Old 29 December 2014, 23:10   #1009
UberFreak

@Turran:

Where did you get those SCART switchers?
Old 03 January 2015, 21:19   #1010
Turran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberFreak View Post
@Turran:

Where did you get those SCART switchers?
Ebay
Some examples
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commutatore-...item5d3f232611
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMMUTATORE-...item46122ec776

Thats actually the only ones I found now. I bought them from seller "directcal"

http://www.ebay.com/sch/directcal/m....10.m2749.l2654

Listed as "Bandridge Premium Performance 5 Way Automatic SCART Selector Switching Box"
Old 05 January 2015, 10:36   #1011
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

Love it, Turran.

Having the whole thing on wheels is the best bit so you can access the back to sort out the wires is brilliant.

I have a similar sized unit a home from IKEA, is that where you got it from?

Do they have IKEAs in Sweden?*

My OCD is looking at the CD32, won't it fit the right way round?

*Joke!!
Old 07 January 2015, 13:10   #1012
Turran

Yes, its IKEA =)

This particular model is gone though. I found it online, figured I wanted it so I had to drive for a few hours to an IKEA that still had it in stock. When I bought it, the clerk said "Yeah, its being replaced with this better model tomorrow". ... Had I know that, I would have waited and gotten the new model instead. hehe.

The CD32 does fit, but not with the joystick connected. I thought of drilling a hole in the cabinet so that I could fit the joysticks through it instead.
I am waiting on the RGB/IDE solution for it though, so when I get that figured out, I'll find a better solution for it. I hate it that way around as well.

I am also going to hang the TV on the backplate, bringing it up a bit. That gives me space for 2 more consoles which will be the intellivision (wont fit inside) and perhaps the CD32. Not sure yet. I want to move the Amiga 1200 or C64 up as well so I can reach the keyboard, or put some kind of shelf where they are today so I can pull them out.

Also, the wooden door that is closed is where I previously had all the power adapters before moving it all to the back. I'll replace that with a glass door as well, giving me room for 2 more consoles. Not sure which yet. Perhaps a Nintendo GameCube and Nintendo 8bit. Just have to find a NES first.. they cost way to much right now.
I can play GameCube games on the Wii and NES games on the N64 though, so that is a bit of a low priority.
Old 07 January 2015, 14:49   #1013
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

LOL I’d bet the new model wouldn’t have fit your needs as well as this one does.

Of course the bloody JS sockets are on that F'in side!!

Hold on the drill mate. How about an adapted 9 pin extension (I use extensions on my Amiga to prevent having to reach round the back and risk damaging the pins on the Amiga sockets for the constant mouse/JS switching) I'll bet if you get a short extension cable you could take it apart and adapt it smaller to turn 90 towards the front for about a euro each?...

or you could just turn the console when you play it and turn it back when it's on display? All's good mate..

Like the fact you've future proofed it for further buys, I often look at other similar set ups which fit their collection perfectly now and think WTF do they do if they add to their collection? Very clever mate well thought through. Although it doesn’t look like it’s missing anything even at this stage.

I know you’ve probably already thought about it, “mood lighting” what’ the plan? Different colours one colour, or white etc etc….
Old 08 January 2015, 13:45   #1014
Turran

Adapter would not fit either. Its like 2mm room on one side =) But yes, you are right that I should move it when I do not use it... I'll do that.

As for lighting, no, had not thought of that. HOW could I miss that. I'll have to come up with a plan. Not white for sure.
Old 08 January 2015, 14:09   #1015
gazj82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turran View Post
This is interesting as I have the same TV cabinet in black, although I bought it second hand. Mine has no glass shelves or backs, did you add these yourself. I plan to add backs but had not thought of halving the shelves like that. The wheels are a really cool idea also.

I hopefully one day will make all the mods (assuming they are mods) to it as you have. Have you considered control panel trunking on the back for cables.

Old 08 January 2015, 14:23   #1016
Turran

Yes, they were bought separately, but was made for that model of cabinet. The glass shelf is the default setup when you get the glass door.

I was thinking of those "control panel trunking" thingies but from experience, I know there are always a few cables that are too short or similar and wont fit in them which makes it a mess anyway =) Plus I only had the weekend to do it so I used what I had.
Old 08 January 2015, 15:12   #1017
rkidd7952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turran View Post
Adapter would not fit either. Its like 2mm room on one side =) But yes, you are right that I should move it when I do not use it... I'll do that.
You might have room to build an extension cable using an IDC-type 9 pin connector. I used these to neaten up the wiring on my machines. This converts the mouse port to a ribbon that I route under the machine and out the back. I put a couple pictures here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1160338...eat=directlink

The connector as I assembled it extends 17-18mm from the outer edge of the 9 pin connector. This includes an extra clip for strain relief, shown in the fourth picture. If you omitted the strain relief, the connector would extend only 12 or 13mm beyond the connector. The outer edge of the joystick connector on my CD32 is recessed 9mm from the edge of the case, so an extension without strain relief might only protrude 3-4mm from the edge of the CD32.

Robert
Old 08 January 2015, 16:25   #1018
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

LOL this is a project that just keeps giving

If I spot any other set ups with lights that look sweet, I'll post them on here for you, for inspiration.

I spotted this one a while back which had good lighting, (your cable management puts this one to shame )

Thinking about it IKEA have multi colour changeable LED storage lighting these days which would work a treat. you wouldn't have commit to a colour then you could change it to suit your mood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 1 View Post
This isn't my room but thought it was worth a share as its a nice way to display.

Even if they are just consoles.....

Can any one name them all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkidd7952 View Post
You might have room to build an extension cable using an IDC-type 9 pin connector. I used these to neaten up the wiring on my machines. This converts the mouse port to a ribbon that I route under the machine and out the back. I put a couple pictures here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1160338...eat=directlink

Robert
Nice Robert (Cool name )

I should have done something like this with the box of a modulator at the back my Amiga a long time ago.

Last edited by Rob 1; 08 January 2015 at 16:36. Reason: Combined posts
Old 08 January 2015, 18:23   #1019
Turran

Hmm, good plan with the extenders. I didn't think they would fit but they should. I checked and, which I did not have a ruler handy, I could fit a SX32 cartridge in preciously. Usb memory for scale.

http://Www.grandis.nu/images/cd32_space.jpg

These should do. 20mm depth without the strain relief.
https://www.elfa.se/elfa3~en_EU/elfa...2-54&toc=19301
and the other side
https://www.elfa.se/elfa3~en_EU/elfa...2-50&toc=19301

Edit: Never mind. I only have 15mm to spare and the smallest one I can find is 20mm. I'll keep looking.
Edit2: Or wait. 20mm is the whole length. Should work.

Last edited by Turran; 08 January 2015 at 19:29.
Old 20 January 2015, 17:42   #1020
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

Here is my gaming room

Hope you like it.
(all is ready to play. just pick a controller (on the Dreamcast/ps3 box)
and turn on the console of choice,... BAM, you are ready to play

Ohh, and on the cardridge consoles,
no need to change the cardridge, the have all games on 1 cardridge ( everdrives )
thats how i like it

The LCD is in the same room , for my Ps3-PC and old XBOX
( that i saved from trash .. now its a great Media and Arcade-Emu Box

And to "round" things up, i have also a pinball machine ( was local )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BILD0023.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	42940   Click image for larger version

Name:	BILD0025.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	314.6 KB
ID:	42941   Click image for larger version

Name:	BILD0028.JPG
Views:	376