English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 26 April 2013, 10:46   #1
spiritdave
Loves Amiga!

A1200 Value? and Sale

Heya

I'm new here. I was a HUGE Amiga fan back in the day when the 500 was king. Ah, memories. I got hold of an A1200 some time ago, and put it under my bed ... and the other day pulled out all my old consoles etc for cleaning and stuff. This was there and it occurred to me , I don't reeeeallly have space for it.

But I don't know the value of these things. eBay and forums show ludicrous prices and I can't see people really paying silly money for these things. But even so ... figured I'd see if I could get a genuinely valid price point. I don't want to sell for too little but I also don't want to rip people off like some people seem happy to do.

It's fully working and even the discs still work

I realise I'm a one post wonder here and normally I hate people that do this but I'm stuck ... I don't know enough about Amiga's and this forum stands out as the one that has more sensible topic posts

Thanks in advance Oh, I'm UK based.
Old 26 April 2013, 11:47   #2
spiritdave
Loves Amiga!

How do people value their Amiga's financially?

I have a boxed Amiga 1200 Magic pack with all working discs, all manuals, cables and mouse etc ... it's a bit yellowed but still in it's wrapping ...

And I was considering a sale ... I love Amiga's but dang, I don't have the time or the space! It's a big ole' box.

But I've seen some CRAZY prices on ebay and on forums. How can people expect to get the money they put these up for?

I wanted to value mine but I'm a little ... I dunno ... I can't feel morally just in throwing the price up that high.

Any ideas?

Last edited by spiritdave; 26 April 2013 at 11:54.
Old 26 April 2013, 11:53   #3
psygnosis

I got one a while ago for £35 but that wasnt boxed ebay normally gives you a general idea boxed items go for more than unboxed ones
Old 26 April 2013, 12:03   #4
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
£100 tops.
More if you have an accelerator /RAM card/ Scan doubler.
HDD no intrinsic value.
Old 26 April 2013, 12:05   #5
spiritdave
Loves Amiga!

Right ... that's fine. But why do people insist on putting them up crazy prices?! It's ludicrous.
Old 26 April 2013, 12:07   #6
psygnosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritdave View Post
Right ... that's fine. But why do people insist on putting them up crazy prices?! It's ludicrous.
I seen a game on ebay recently buy it now £699??

People will try it thats just the way it is
Old 26 April 2013, 12:09   #7
DH
Global Moderator

It's simply called greed, and those people with the extortionate prices have absolutely no interest in the Amiga or the Amiga community, basically, a fast buck to line their pockets.
Old 26 April 2013, 12:10   #8
jPV

Petro has been selling batches (next batch in June) of those Magic Packs for 150e each + taxes&postage. I guess that defines its current value pretty well...

Last edited by jPV; 26 April 2013 at 12:15.
Old 26 April 2013, 12:11   #9
spiritdave
Loves Amiga!

Yeah I know! It's moronic! I saw one last night for 300 quid on ebay and I was just shocked.

I'd happily sell this for £100 but I'd definitely want to triple check the discs again (they worked a few months ago). But yeah ... I'd morally be unable to justify selling to someone for a silly price like those on ebay. I'm not morally corrupt lol
Old 26 April 2013, 12:12   #10
spiritdave
Loves Amiga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH View Post
It's simply called greed, and those people with the extortionate prices have absolutely no interest in the Amiga or the Amiga community, basically, a fast buck to line their pockets.
Yeah ... I hold the Amiga close to my heart as it was such a great part of my childhood ... I just can't keep this thing ... I have nowhere to store it, and the 1200 never resonated with me ... the A500 was my baby.

But yeah ... greed is the word. And it's sickening. But my guess is those eBay's will end with no buyers.
Old 26 April 2013, 12:15   #11
Djay
aka breakpoint

Quote:
I have a boxed Amiga 1200 Magic pack with all working discs, all manuals, cables and mouse etc ... it's a bit yellowed but still in it's wrapping ...

And I was considering a sale ... I love Amiga's but dang, I don't have the time or the space! It's a big ole' box.

But I've seen some CRAZY prices on ebay and on forums. How can people expect to get the money they put these up for?

I wanted to value mine but I'm a little ... I dunno ... I can't feel morally just in throwing the price up that high.

Any ideas?

doesn't look too yellow? any pics of it out of its wrapper? has the unit been opened? if you are considering selling, I would only need the disks/unit/psu, (I have a magic pack box already ) gimme a price (although at this point I am just enquiring )
Old 26 April 2013, 12:19   #12
Djay
aka breakpoint

merge http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=68946 ?
Old 26 April 2013, 12:20   #13
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yeah ... I hold the Amiga close to my heart as it was such a great part of my childhood ... I just can't keep this thing ... I have nowhere to store it, and the 1200 never resonated with me ... the A500 was my baby.

But yeah ... greed is the word. And it's sickening. But my guess is those eBay's will end with no buyers.
Indeed they will, but they'll keep re-listing them until someone buys it, which is kinda morally wrong.

It's such a shame you have to let go of something so dear to your heart, I understand space is always an issue, and wives , but as with me, I regret selling my A500, A1200 but I would have another one tomorrow if I could. Unfortunately, financially I need to spend money on a new PC, which means I'm in no position to purchase one atm
Old 26 April 2013, 12:23   #14
Djay
aka breakpoint

Quote:
Indeed they will, but they'll keep re-listing them until someone buys it, which is kinda morally wrong.

It's such a shame you have to let go of something so dear to your heart, I understand space is always an issue, and wives , but as with me, I regret selling my A500, A1200 but I would have another one tomorrow if I could. Unfortunately, financially I need to spend money on a new PC, which means I'm in no position to purchase one atm
Yeah.. ebay tsk...

Wise words, I regret selling so much from the past, even my A500 which I traded in for an A1200 back in the day, why didn't I just save up and have both
Old 26 April 2013, 12:28   #15
DH
Global Moderator

Threads merged into Market Place, with slight change of title
Old 26 April 2013, 12:28   #16
spiritdave
Loves Amiga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
doesn't look too yellow? any pics of it out of its wrapper? has the unit been opened? if you are considering selling, I would only need the disks/unit/psu, (I have a magic pack box already ) gimme a price (although at this point I am just enquiring )
When you say has the unit been opened? You mean the case, with screwdrivers? Not that I'm aware of. I bought it for a figure I can't remember a hella while back off of a friend who is NOT technical in the slightest. I really don't see him ever opening it hehe.

I could throw pics up sure, but I don't know what price would be fair to both buyer and seller I suck at this stuff.

Quote:
Threads merged into Market Place, with slight change of title
Oh, thank you so much

Last edited by prowler; 27 April 2013 at 22:26. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 26 April 2013, 12:36   #17
Djay
aka breakpoint

Quote:
When you say has the unit been opened? You mean the case, with screwdrivers? Not that I'm aware of. I bought it for a figure I can't remember a hella while back off of a friend who is NOT technical in the slightest. I really don't see him ever opening it hehe.

I could throw pics up sure, but I don't know what price would be fair to both buyer and seller I suck at this stuff.
Might be worth get some photos together, try here first and amibay... otherwise ebay is always good option especially if you are considering a fair price (set a minimum) and of course you'll be undercutting the crazy sales...
Old 26 April 2013, 12:37   #18
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

Are you selling all those make up and skin care products with it too mate

My advise to you Dave, would be to keep it. Unless you are absolutely broke and desperately need the dough, but I don't think you are as you can afford such beautiful cosmetic products

I regret very little, but I still regret the day I sold my old Atari 2600, to raise money to buy a game for my Amiga. Midnight resistance, FFS good game but not worth trading my Atari 2600 for…..

Put it under a bed or in the loft if you don’t want it out, but trust me one day you will want to get it out for a bit and then it won’t be there.
Old 26 April 2013, 12:43   #19
Djay
aka breakpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat Rob 1 View Post

My advise to you Dave, would be to keep it. Unless you are absolutely broke and desperately need the dough, but I don't think you are as you can afford such beautiful cosmetic products

I regret very little, but I still regret the day I sold my old Atari 2600, to raise money to buy a game for my Amiga. Midnight resistance, FFS good game but not worth trading my Atari 2600 for…..

Put it under a bed or in the loft if you don’t want it out, but trust me one day you will want to get it out for a bit and then it won’t be there.
I can relate
Old 26 April 2013, 12:46   #20
spiritdave
Loves Amiga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
Might be worth get some photos together, try here first and amibay... otherwise ebay is always good option especially if you are considering a fair price (set a minimum) and of course you'll be undercutting the crazy sales...
Yeah will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat Rob 1 View Post

haha ... Perrie, my fiancee loves her makeups ... Luckily she also loves retro gaming But yeah ... the problem is, I already took up all the space under the bed with other stuff I can't get rid of. And loft? I don't think I even HAVE a loft in this place. I've come from a 3 bedroom house to a two bedroom house with less storage space (much nicer place tho). So it's difficult. And when it boils down to it, all I really care about is my guitar and amp ... all the rest can go The A1200 is of no real emotional value to me. It was the one everyone steered clear of back in the day at my school because it wouldn't run all the games out of the box haha. I don't know why I have it really. I just went on a retro whim one day and bought a massive load of consoles and computers that I knew I would only load once haha.