English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 June 2011, 11:11   #1
moijk
License to Bubble

a3000 battery leak, salvageable?

I took a closer look at the a3000 I picked up a week ago. Wasn't easy to see since it was quite dusty, but looking closer did put my stumach at unease:

http://geir.mork.no/images/a3000full.jpg

The top layer have started to peel off. No idea what it have done to the rest.

The a4000 I picked up was better, but still not perfect

http://geir.mork.no/images/a4000full.jpg

might need to resolder the legs on the nearby chips too. that solder seem to be eaten away by the pics (Haven't got the machine beside me at the moment)..

So I think I need expert help. Anyone who have the skills to get this back to life? the a4000 board works at the moment, unknown about the a3000 and I don't intend to boot it up in present state.

I'll pay the costs to have it fixed of course. I'll also include button battery replacement to solder on. I don't want that barrel stuff to be leaking again in 2025

Last edited by moijk; 06 June 2011 at 11:17.
Old 06 June 2011, 12:06   #2
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quite a few people do repairs, myself included, but I am certain that Australia is a long way away

The damage is extensive on both boards, most likely both can be fixed but the cost of repairs will be high and the person carrying out the work must be very thorough.
Old 06 June 2011, 12:38   #3
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loedown View Post
Quite a few people do repairs, myself included, but I am certain that Australia is a long way away

The damage is extensive on both boards, most likely both can be fixed but the cost of repairs will be high and the person carrying out the work must be very thorough.
Yea, I hope for someone in europe. Less number of kilometers for the postal service to screw up on. I'm hoping someone loves the Amiga enough to want a couple of big box amigas to live on, and do it for somewhere not too far into two digit numbers. I'm only a regular family man with a dream of a future proof big box amiga. The a4000 board boots, the a3000 board hasn't been booted since 2001. so not sure about the status of that.
Old 06 June 2011, 12:45   #4
Hewitson

I reckon all the A4000 board needs is a good thorough wash and possibly resoldering of the corroded legs on the IC's.

The A3000 looks to be in a very sorry state indeed. Hopefully once you've cleaned the area there will be less damage than expected.
Old 06 June 2011, 12:47   #5
Loedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by moijk View Post
Yea, I hope for someone in europe. Less number of kilometers for the postal service to screw up on. I'm hoping someone loves the Amiga enough to want a couple of big box amigas to live on, and do it for somewhere not too far into two digit numbers. I'm only a regular family man with a dream of a future proof big box amiga. The a4000 board boots, the a3000 board hasn't been booted since 2001. so not sure about the status of that.
You're looking at about 4 - 6 hours of solid work + parts

Then if the A3000 is faulty there's more time. We all love the Amiga but not all of us have the luxury of being charities, you must be reasonable, they will cost.
Old 06 June 2011, 13:01   #6
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
You're looking at about 4 - 6 hours of solid work + parts

Then if the A3000 is faulty there's more time. We all love the Amiga but not all of us have the luxury of being charities, you must be reasonable, they will cost.
Well I'm open for all offers. I don't want to sound cheap or sound like wanting charity work. I'm just saying I can't pay the full 150 aud ++ / hour professional services ask.
Old 06 June 2011, 14:58   #7
Loedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by moijk View Post
Well I'm open for all offers. I don't want to sound cheap or sound like wanting charity work. I'm just saying I can't pay the full 150 aud ++ / hour professional services ask.
I don't charge anywhere near that for an hourly rate, even when I am fixing rare synthesizers. I know what people charge here for their services, it makes for an easier business experience if you know your competitors prices.

If you can find someone close to your neck of the woods, I would suggest you would be parting with perhaps $300 - $500 AUD for both repairs, this is just a rough guess. It's also not reflective of what others charge or will charge.
Old 06 June 2011, 16:46   #8
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
I don't charge anywhere near that for an hourly rate, even when I am fixing rare synthesizers. I know what people charge here for their services, it makes for an easier business experience if you know your competitors prices.

If you can find someone close to your neck of the woods, I would suggest you would be parting with perhaps $300 - $500 AUD for both repairs, this is just a rough guess. It's also not reflective of what others charge or will charge.
I've got a offer to fix the a4000 board, so I need someone to look after the worse to wear a3000. unless it'll be cheaper buying a new mainboard, however rare they are.
Old 06 June 2011, 22:59   #9
8bitbubsy

Resurrecting the Amiga 3000 will be a long journey and it will NOT end up sophisticated/nice looking in any way, unless you have a lot of patience and experience with this stuff. Even that is probably not enough, it will require a lot of jumper wires.
Sorry, but it looks very very damaged.

EDIT: I see that you'll pay for it to get repaired, I am pretty sure it will be very expensive.
Old 06 June 2011, 23:24   #10
LTAC

@moijk: read here.
Old 07 June 2011, 09:26   #11
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy View Post
Resurrecting the Amiga 3000 will be a long journey and it will NOT end up sophisticated/nice looking in any way, unless you have a lot of patience and experience with this stuff. Even that is probably not enough, it will require a lot of jumper wires.
Sorry, but it looks very very damaged.

EDIT: I see that you'll pay for it to get repaired, I am pretty sure it will be very expensive.
Well, looking at the current interest rate, and my lack of abilities I'll consider the board dead.

Oh well, I got it as an addon to the a4000 which gladly is easier to get to top shape, even works well today.
Old 07 June 2011, 11:12   #12
Loedown

You will be able to sell the A3000 board as spares for sure, some people may also be interested in the case and / or parts.
Old 07 June 2011, 12:08   #13
Jope
-

Quote:
You will be able to sell the A3000 board as spares for sure, some people may also be interested in the case and / or parts.
EAB's top vulture reporting for carcass circling. _o7

(just pm me if you have reasonably priced A3000 parts for sale)
Old 07 June 2011, 12:40   #14
AndyLandy

A3000: If you haven't done so already, remove the battery ASAP! Then you'll need to neutralise the areas affected by the battery (all those manky green areas)

I use a paint brush dipped in lemon juice when doing this sort of thing. You should be able to clear up most of the mess. Once you've cleaned up the goo, you should wash away the lemon juice with some isopropyl alcohol, then leave the board to dry.

You might well find that some of your custom chip sockets need replaced. My A3000 had suffered similar damage and it wasn't booting. Replacing the Paula, Denise and Agnus sockets brought the machine back to life.

Where the board covering has flaked, you should remove the obviously loose bits, then apply some varnish over the board to protect the rest from flaking. (I just used some plain nail varnish from a local cosmetics store) My A3000 has a lovely bare patch of copper in the same place, it hasn't affected it from working, you might be as lucky with yours.

Looking at your photos, I do think there's hope for your A3000. Mine was in a very similar state, but has come back to life now, so there's always hope!

Good luck!
Old 07 June 2011, 12:41   #15
8bitbubsy

I actually tried to tell the seller about these damages before you got these Amigas from him on finn.no (you could see the A4000 damages on his pic), moijk, but he refused to reply on that. I guess he wanted the money.
If you were to bin or sell the A3000 as parts, then you know that I am here and in Norway. I might be able to repair and make use of the Amiga 3000, I've repaired battery leakage before. It's not easy, but it's doable if you take it slow and patiently.

I actually wanted those Amigas, then you came after me bidding higher and having no clue on how to repair them.

Last edited by 8bitbubsy; 07 June 2011 at 12:46.
Old 07 June 2011, 13:53   #16
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
I actually tried to tell the seller about these damages before you got these Amigas from him on finn.no (you could see the A4000 damages on his pic), moijk, but he refused to reply on that
Well, I only gave the the a4000 a look, and it looked fixable. Didn't look much at the a3000 since it wasn't my main interest, but I wanted it to have something to tinker with. However, that damage was a bit too much for my level.

Quote:
I actually wanted those Amigas, then you came after me bidding higher and having no clue on how to repair them.
He only told about someone wanting an a4000 board because the last one was killed due to lightening. Noone seemed to have an eye for the a3000. I wanted the a4000 and I lived close by, so I paid the asking price. Buying one overseas would be way more due to postage anyway.

I'm not skilled with pcb repairs, thats true. if you want to give the a3000 a crack feel free to give me a fair price for it.