English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 10 June 2008, 00:17   #21
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
I find e-uae to be a lot more stable than winuae and people should remember the emulator does not lack a lot of features when used on OSX, its just that you cant get to them from the only available GUI.
Honestly I never had any big stability issues with WinUAE. In earlier versions there were some small issues with changing certain CPU or chipset settings, but it never crashed during play. So I don't see why E-UAE is a lot more stable. I tried it (on Linux) and have to say it's not bad, but the constant developing on WinUAE from Toni really improves both the usability and the the supported features. I can understand that you like to play with E-UAE, but I think 'a lot more stable' needs some proof
Old 10 June 2008, 00:44   #22
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

use winuae for amiga developing and you'll find it breaks very easily.

i would list a few of the crash instances, but i'll only get told to file an official bug report, which frankly, i cant be bothered to do for something i find myself using less and less.

thats not to say i dont appricate the work on winuae, i do, but i use a mac primarily anyway, and e-uae on OSX is definately a preference to winuae on xp on parrallels on osx.
Old 10 June 2008, 00:53   #23
TCD

Quote:

i would list a few of the crash instances, but i'll only get told to file an official bug report, which frankly, i cant be bothered to do for something i find myself using less and less.

thats not to say i dont appricate the work on winuae, i do, but i use a mac primarily anyway, and e-uae on OSX is definately a preference to winuae on xp on parrallels on osx.
Okay I will do some developing in the future (thanks to Thorham ) so I will stumble upon them (more or less hopefully ). I didn't know about that and I perfectly understand that you prefer a native solution rather than a emulated one. Since I only used it for gaming in the last years and didn't experience any instability I thought it is like that for all aspects of Amiga use. So thanks for pointing that out Hungry Horace.
Old 10 June 2008, 18:48   #24
chiark
Needs a life

Quote:

Horace, can you give me some examples on what you were doing and I'll file the bug reports?
Cheers!
Old 10 June 2008, 19:09   #25
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

mostly using action replay 3, which Toni has already stated in another thread he is not interested in developing support for. Its hard to report, as it often doenst lead to a winuae crash with .dmp file. just a lock up where nothing can be done. Similar strange things can happen even just AMOS developing. At such times i often just go back to real hardware.

sometimes winuae will crash just being left on the workbench screen for a prolonged time, but hey. I would say it's probably just me but it happens on multiple setups of mine.

this is not a thread for such OT discussion however, and i dont like feeling 'forced' to make non-complete reports of such things, as i'll only get complaints that i'm not making the faults known 'properly'.
Old 10 June 2008, 20:03   #26
laser
Banned

Quote:

sometimes winuae will crash just being left on the workbench screen for a prolonged time, but hey. I would say it's probably just me but it happens on multiple setups of mine.
that's not true...you are inventing things to criticize winuae

please be respectful with one of the best emulators ever made
Old 10 June 2008, 21:22   #27
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
priceless.

what exactly would be the point of that? please dont accuse me of lieing, as it stands i find your comment rather insulting.

"please be respectful to one of the greatest human beings ever born"

i do actually -use- winuae still you know, and still like it. i'm not going to say its faultless though becuase (like everything else) it isnt!

Last edited by Hungry Horace; 10 June 2008 at 21:34.
Old 10 June 2008, 21:52   #28
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post

please be respectful with one of the best emulators ever made

shut up
Old 10 June 2008, 21:58   #29
Tony Landais
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
I've compiled a Mac OSX Intel binary with working CAPS Library support, it's available here:

http://www.simplyamiga.com/uae/e-uae...S.20080608.zip

please note that *THIS IS TOTALLY UNSUPPORTED*

that said, let me know how it works for you
Great version! at last
I noticed 3 major improvement since last build
IPF are working perfectly compared to all I could read on E-UAE forum.
Opengl acceleration works now in Vsync with the second screen.
BSDSocket is working fine now too

I only noticed a lose of sync or frame jump every 2 or 3 seconds.

I use a PAL 50Hz TV a second screen.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Tony Landais; 10 June 2008 at 22:28.
Old 10 June 2008, 21:59   #30
laser
Banned

Quote:
priceless.

what exactly would be the point of that? please dont accuse me of lieing, as it stands i find your comment rather insulting.

"please be respectful to one of the greatest human beings ever born"

i do actually -use- winuae still you know, and still like it. i'm not going to say its faultless though becuase (like everything else) it isnt!
OK.......then you have a problem on your computer...bad PSU...a virus...maybe your computer is possessed by a demon

check here

http://www.atheistalliance.org/aaw/Compossessed.htm

but winuae doesn't crash just being left on the workbench screen for a prolonged time

I use songplayer on winuae to play mp3 songs for a looooooong time and never crash
Old 10 June 2008, 22:17   #31
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

a virus? on both my mac / parallels setup AND on my fresh XP install? which cause a winuae-only (not XP) crash and nothing else?

hilarious.

you are of course running the EXACT same winuae settings and setup as i am yeah? right down to adding the same applications to ClassicWB? after all this is the only way you could ever be so 100% sure that i am wrong "because it doesnt happen to you".

of course laser. of course. i was forgetting about your wonderous psychic abilities, and how you even have a perfect clone of both of my main XP setups.

i'm definately gonna have to grab the .dmp file next time i suppose just to shut you up if this is the idiotic response i'm going to get. (and brilliantly proves my point about why i didnt want to mention winuae faults in this thread)

please get over your obsessive defense of winUAE, or just quit the trolling. Nothing's perfect.
Old 10 June 2008, 23:00   #32
chiark
Needs a life

Balls, it sounds like one of those that's going to be a nightmare to replicate... I don't use AR3 and have never used AMOS (real men don't use amos ;-) ) so would find it hard to get anywhere near that. bugger.

Providing a dump would be the perfect response to any sniping at you: to be fair, the only way to fix something - no matter what the software - is to provide a good bug report.

If there's anything i can do to help replicate a fault, drop me a PM or mail.
Old 10 June 2008, 23:08   #33
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

as i have already mentioned several times, my main non-amiga system is a mac, and so my winuae usage has dropped massively in the last 6 months (close to nil but not quite - but then interceptor came along to bring it closer to 'nil' still!) - although i will keep an eye out for the obvious non-usage crash happening again, and grab the .dmp file, i'm not going out of my way to replicate bugs for a program i barely use! (if i care that much, i'd have reported it properly and a while ago)

i can handle the sniping.. i predicted it would happen anyway and chiark - real men use AMOS -and- ASM
Old 17 June 2008, 03:36   #34
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
I don't know much about the internals of UAE, and I've got accustomed to WinUAE excellent GUI and features. I would answer the question by saying that whether E-UAE is dead or not doesn't appear really like an important issue to me.

Some folks apparently can "see" beyond the very basic GUI of E-UAE and tweak it the way they want to. Linux newbies won't manage to do anything fruitful with it, so it's unlikely they will anxiously wait for a new build.

It's not that I wouldn't be glad to see some new things coming on the linux/UAE front, don't misinterpret my words...
Old 01 July 2008, 18:11   #35
wilshy

Interceptor - Thanks man. Not noticed any improvements on first impressions, but I'm sure there is some and nice to see someone keeping the project alive.

I've read 2 threads on here in 2 days only, both had laser just being plain I might only have a few posts to my name but I'll show respect where respect is due. So respect to Interceptor and really interesting to read your posts Horace. Any chance of seeing what you're working on?
Old 01 July 2008, 18:45   #36
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilshy View Post
and really interesting to read your posts Horace. Any chance of seeing what you're working on?
thanks wilshy. Current AMOS projects involve some Horace games, although i've not had much chance to work on "Horace Boxing" i did post some videos of it onto youtube last week.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search

ASM projects involves my slow-learning processes in getting involved with WHDload slaves. Having worked on Cybernoid 1,2, New Zealand Story (talking of which, i need to speak to JOTD about what he's doing with my updates!) and Gauntlet 2. I am working on a brand new install of my own too, but it's only for a PD game whilst i learn the ropes
Old 24 November 2008, 01:54   #37
MIKX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
I've compiled a Mac OSX Intel binary with working CAPS Library support, it's available here:

http://www.simplyamiga.com/uae/e-uae...S.20080608.zip

please note that *THIS IS TOTALLY UNSUPPORTED*

that said, let me know how it works for you
Hi,

I'm a new member but have had Amigas since 1987.

Apologies for reviving an old thread.

I downloaded e-uae.0.8.29-CVS.20080608 but it just doesn't work with Hi Toro, nothing. When I point Hi Toro 0.5.2 at this version it just quits.

I am very interested in the printing aspect of E-UAE as I still rely on PageStream and the OSX version still has big issues with printing.

I am interested in serving as a Beta tester for any development regarding printing from E-UAE.

My system : Dual Quad 3 ghz Mac Pro 9 gig ram. OSX10.4.11

MIKX

Old 24 November 2008, 01:59   #38
Interceptor

blimey people are still using this i guess.

please make sure you have downloaded and installed the SDL.framework on your mac.

http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.13.dmg
Old 24 November 2008, 09:35   #39
Duke
HOL-Team

Send a message via ICQ to Duke
Roll eyes (sarcastic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazinKaesar View Post
Ok for Vice, but MESS is still on a very old version on Linux: I know because I tried it some time ago. Windows version is more complete. Even ZSNES e SNES9x work better on Windows (on the same PC, Windows versions run faster than Linux: I think DirectX do their dirty but good job!).

I'm not a Windows fan, but for gaming, both new and retro, Windows is still the "best" choice...
What are you talking about? The current version of MESS is available for Windows, Linux, various *BSD systems and MacOSX. Most of the developers are on non-Windows too.