English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 11 February 2020, 15:56   #21
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I still fail to grasp why is this game so popular?!
It is because Beast was a watershed moment for the Amiga, meaning, that finally, someone had shown what the Amiga was actually capable of when the hardware was actually utilised properly, i.e. when what the Atari ST could do wasn't even a consideration. And it sold by the truckload as a result.

Sure, the gameplay is suspect for some people, but, it had that "wow" factor on release. Graphically it was excellent, sonically the music was absolutely superb, and technically, it ticked all the right boxes.

It showed other devs that were getting away with the bare minimum by doing basic ST ports that they might not be able to get away with doing that much longer, because at the time, people were trying to conceive how to do it on the Atari ST and coming to the conclusion it couldn't be done.

For some devs, it gave them the kick up the arse they needed to improve, and was the beginning of the end for the ST as a viable machine to publish commercial games on.
Old 11 February 2020, 16:07   #22
dreadnought

It's true that it had cutting edge gfx and sfx, but because of the simplistic gameplay for me (and I know many others too) it was always more like a great demo, good to show the Amiga off. Wow! look at this hires art! Whoa, so much parralax! And listen to that tune!...Great, right? Cool, now, let's play some Rick Dangerous or Speedball
Old 11 February 2020, 17:19   #23
coder76

But the topic is the C64 version. Is there anything amazing about it, that I don't see? C64 could do parallax scrolling in layers like Amiga via raster interrupts, but the C64 didn't have a dual playfield mode, so it was difficult to have a lot of overlapping graphics that scrolled with different speed.

But yeah, I see that in the cave/castle section there is some precomputed background animation with dot characters that occupy each a 8x8 char. Looks cheap and there's a problem in that irregular shapes in foreground get a black box around them, as you can't afford to make too many char animations with those dots.
Old 11 February 2020, 19:36   #24
chb

Quote:
Originally Posted by coder76 View Post
But yeah, I see that in the cave/castle section there is some precomputed background animation with dot characters that occupy each a 8x8 char. Looks cheap and there's a problem in that irregular shapes in foreground get a black box around them, as you can't afford to make too many char animations with those dots.
Yep, all the parallax background is essentially just one char that gets scrolled (it does not need to be precomputed, even the C64 is fast enough to scroll an 8x8 char with the CPU each frame ).

You're totally right about the black borders around everything in the foreground that does not fit on the char raster. But in motion it still looks quite nice, even more so on blurry TV. Turrican 1 and 2 on the C64 use that effect extensively, it adds a lot to the game visuals, IMHO.
Old 11 February 2020, 19:46   #25
jizmo
Registered Abuser

I am definitely in the 'Shadow of the Beast is best enjoyed as a running demo' -camp, but I do appreciate it much precisely for the reason Galahad mentioned. Back in the day many ST and Amiga games were pretty so closely neck to neck, that for many it seemed kind of debatable if Amiga was any better as a gaming computer and Atari owners were convinced ST was able to pull off at least close to what Amiga had to offer, but with a lower price point.

When Shadow of the Beast came out it was such leaps and bounds ahead of the games at the time that this debate was over if you were one of those who were kind of on the fence which platform to get. This was the future, and only Amiga could offer it.

I never did play C64 version, but it seems to capture well the spirit of the Amiga game. Kind of reminds me of Hawkeye – another C64 title with very meh gameplay, but presentation so lovely that it kept me hooked for days.

Last edited by jizmo; 12 February 2020 at 06:05.
Old 12 February 2020, 12:37   #26
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
It is because Beast was a watershed moment for the Amiga, meaning, that finally, someone had shown what the Amiga was actually capable of when the hardware was actually utilised properly, i.e. when what the Atari ST could do wasn't even a consideration. And it sold by the truckload as a result.

Sure, the gameplay is suspect for some people, but, it had that "wow" factor on release. Graphically it was excellent, sonically the music was absolutely superb, and technically, it ticked all the right boxes.

It showed other devs that were getting away with the bare minimum by doing basic ST ports that they might not be able to get away with doing that much longer, because at the time, people were trying to conceive how to do it on the Atari ST and coming to the conclusion it couldn't be done.

For some devs, it gave them the kick up the arse they needed to improve, and was the beginning of the end for the ST as a viable machine to publish commercial games on.

That wow moment for me was Defender of the Crown. Somehow I missed SOTB in early stage and by time I got it, there have been much more playable and enjoyable games around.

Thank you all for pointing out why you keep talking about this game...
Old 16 February 2020, 12:24   #27
d4rk3lf

Btw...

Any (technical) reasons why this (great) C64 port doesn't have a blue sky?
I think with blue sky it would look better, with black sky, for me, looks a little bit weird.
Old 16 February 2020, 16:59   #28
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Better question: No money for quality assurance? Pysgnosis!!!

Old 18 February 2020, 12:18   #29
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Better question: No money for quality assurance? Pysgnosis!!!
Haha! Spelt the name of their own company wrong!

This may be an even worse mistake than Turicon!
Old 18 February 2020, 13:02   #30
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post

Quoted for truth!