English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 12 July 2019, 14:24   #1
Pee wee

Question Would it be possible to start LHA games directly by WinUAE?

Hi friends,

I am a new member and I would hope forward to learn from each one of you. Pls, I would like to know if it is possible to load LHA games without the need to previously install any files or OS (Workbench), that is, star LHA games directly from the WinUAE interface. As you well know, in FS-UAE we can do it without installing anything, is not necessary to create the OS.

I had been looking for an Tutorial in youtube, but I could not find any concrete tutorial.

Appreciate any comments...

THANKS IN ADVANCE.
Old 12 July 2019, 17:37   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

What are "lha" games? You can mount the lha as a harddrive but obviously it requires s/startup-sequence etc required files inside the lha to boot it fully.
Old 12 July 2019, 18:40   #3
solarmon

It is possible, with a bit of work. You could mount the following drives:

DH0: - HDF or directory with minimal startup sequence that launches the slave file in DH1 with WHDLoad.
DH1: - mounted LHA WHDLoad game file

But the hard part is getting that minimal startup sequence that looks for the appropriate slave file name in DH1 and launching it with WHDLoad.
Old 12 July 2019, 19:09   #4
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmon View Post

But the hard part is getting that minimal startup sequence that looks for the appropriate slave file name in DH1 and launching it with WHDLoad.
Example start games "AlienBreed3DAGA"

CD DH1:
C:WHDLoad DH1:AlienBreed3DAGA.Slave PRELOAD NOWRITECACHE
Old 12 July 2019, 19:20   #5
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pee wee View Post
. As you well know, in FS-UAE we can do it without installing anything, is not necessary to create the OS.
It is not a privilege of FS-UAE, all AMiGA Emulators, but also the Real AMIGA can start the Games or Applications without the need of the operating system.
Old 14 July 2019, 15:22   #6
Mclane
Old retro god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
It is not a privilege of FS-UAE, all AMiGA Emulators, but also the Real AMIGA can start the Games or Applications without the need of the operating system.
Just not from a Lha file which is what he wants..
Old 14 July 2019, 16:49   #7
honx

how should this be even possible? .lha needs some environment to be extracted to. and you need some kind of os with startup-sequence and lha executables to start the extraction and execute extracted game executable afterwards...
Old 14 July 2019, 17:46   #8
DamienD
disengaged

It's possible honx; the .LHA gets mounted as a hard drive via "Add Directory or Archive..." --> "Select Archive or Plain File".

...but as Toni said though:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
What are "lha" games? You can mount the lha as a harddrive but obviously it requires s/startup-sequence etc required files inside the lha to boot it fully.
So if you have an .LHA file just containing say a game folder, you'd also need to add in:
  • S folder with relevant Startup-Sequence.
  • Any C / Fonts / Libs etc. that the game requires.
Old 14 July 2019, 17:49   #9
solarmon

Here's a solution I put together that did exactly that:

https://github.com/solarmon/WHDLoad-Game-Launcher
Old 14 July 2019, 19:50   #10
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pee wee View Post
Hi friends,

I am a new member and I would hope forward to learn from each one of you. Pls, I would like to know if it is possible to load LHA games without the need to previously install any files or OS (Workbench), that is, star LHA games directly from the WinUAE interface. As you well know, in FS-UAE we can do it without installing anything, is not necessary to create the OS.

I had been looking for an Tutorial in youtube, but I could not find any concrete tutorial.

Appreciate any comments...

THANKS IN ADVANCE.
Amiga doesn't have "LhA games", just as it doesn't have Game ROMs, but it does have Floppies and Floppy images. That's why you're not going to find one though YouTube. If, however, you mean you want to archive floppy images - ADF/ADZ - with LhA instead of Zip then there you go.

If you mean making a WHDLoad installed game or Hard Drive installed game (not WHDLoad) then you'll have to learn some basic script commands for the Startup-Sequence as what DamienD typed. Workbench isn't the OS it's part of AmigaDOS which is the OS, Workbench is only the GUI. Workbench is very common part of Amiga but it doesn't have to be used.

A personal pet peeve to me, and I'm not getting on your case just clarifying. Please stop calling them "LhA games"..and try to ignore when you see them being called Game ROMs also. Haha. Hope you got the help here you were seeking.
Old 14 July 2019, 20:27   #11
Foebane

It's really not that difficult to have a versatile and fully-functional Workbench environment for which to use LHA games (and yes, they are called those, there are a whole bunch of them on Retroplay). With free solutions like Bloodwych's ClassicWB floating around (which only need a bunch of WB 3.1 disks and Amiga ROMs, which EVERY Amiga user NEEDS), it's really a no-brainer. The only difficulty is to decide what options you want when you set up ClassicWB.

And the OP called them LHA games because in the Retroplay archive, all of the WHDLoad games are stored as LHA archives, and you can indeed drag'n'drop them into the WB environment on ClassicWB and run them from there. What's more, many WHDLoad games WILL run this way, straight from a read-only LHA source, and the only thing that won't be saved is things like high-score tables. In fact, WHDLoad demos can be run from drag'n'drop read-only, and they will ALWAYS run fine.

And for those WHDLoad games that require installation, ClassicWB has pre-prepared game folders just for that purpose: drag'n'drop the game folder from the LHA archive to the appropriate folder, then run the script to add it to the GamesMenu - it really isn't that hard.
Old 15 July 2019, 02:09   #12
AC/DC HACKER!

No one meant that making an LhA archive is hard or one that could be booted from within once mounted. Of course you need Kickstart ROMs or Amiga won't start. Amiga Floppies are not ROM (Read Only Memory) images found on a Motherboard. That's what I was meaning. Drag'N'Drop to an emulator isn't what I was meaning. I, too, have seen the games archived in LhA, Zip, and RAR..it's very common. I wasn't disputing that. But I wouldn't call them "LhA games". We always just called them games in LhA or Zip.
I understood the OP's reason for asking. With a real Amiga you cannot Drag'N'Drop an LhA onto Workbench and have it mount and execute. Not in the many years I've been an Amigan..haha...that's totally emulation.

Funny thing is, from a user level, or a completely novice level..it can seem very easy but it has required a lot of programming to arrive there. Anyway, I wondered for a moment what was meant as Toni did in his reply.