English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 08 March 2002, 11:03   #21
filobeddo

Xenon, XenonII, Gods, Cadaver, Chaos Engine .... all classy games

What was the name of the one with the kid? Platformer?

Old 08 March 2002, 12:02   #22
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Magic Pockets.
Old 08 March 2002, 14:32   #23
Syntrax

Hmm..... don't take me wrong here but there's one thing i don't like with Bitmap Brothers, The gfx is all the same.

Looks like they only have(Had) one or two GFX people working, look at Speed ball and chaos engine, the faces have to many likenesses, and the GFX overall is to like, but hey that's me

Old 08 March 2002, 18:32   #24
oldpx

Quote:
Hmm..... don't take me wrong here but there's one thing i don't like with Bitmap Brothers, The gfx is all the same.
That's called style

Old 08 March 2002, 23:51   #25
Djay
aka breakpoint

Quote:
That's called style
and BOY did the Bitmaps have buckets of it, the Neo Industrial "look".

many teams of developers/gfx artists had a defineable "Style"!

and...

The Bitmaps, created games that had "that-style", but various types of Gameplay!

To me, the Bitmaps Brothers were Kings, and i met them at a Commodore Show in London, 92 i think! And somewhere i have one of their t-shirts (black, well off-black now), £13.99
Old 09 March 2002, 00:36   #26
oldpx

Quote:
To me, the Bitmaps Brothers were Kings, and i met them at a Commodore Show in London, 92 i think! And somewhere i have one of their t-shirts (black, well off-black now), £13.99
WOW! you're very lucky to meet them personally

Old 09 March 2002, 00:48   #27
Djay
aka breakpoint

they were quite cool, normally if you approached these kind of people they were "yeah hi" and thats it, but i had quite a good conversation with these guys, you could tell they were well into the Amiga and Games...

... at the that time the Chaos Engine was in development, and i remember playing an early beta version...

... going to trade shows etc... was one such benefit of running an indie games shop (amongst others )
Old 09 March 2002, 00:54   #28
Drake1009

Wow the brothers. And for some reason you could tell from their games that they were into it. There's a darn it's also some of the characteristic of the game itself. People who aren't really into it won't know the essence which would make a game and usually end up making a perhaps great game, but what would really kick the game would be the added atmosphere of knowing what gamers want because they are in essence which is a big difference from knowing what gamers want based on market analysis.
Old 09 March 2002, 01:24   #29
oldpx

Quote:
but what would really kick the game would be the added atmosphere of knowing what gamers want
Yes that's the point, many game developers miss today.

Old 09 March 2002, 19:36   #30
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

The Bitmap Bros definately had something that the other developers didnt have.
I always thought that I could have confidently bought a game without knowing anything about it, simply because it was made by them.
And as for the graphics looking the same.....WHY WOULD YOU WANT THEM TO LOOK ANY DIFFERENT???? The graphics were sheer class.
I just wish that they would make an updated version of Chaos Engine in a first person perspective view mode. Imagine CE in the style of Quake? How cool would that be?
Sadly though I think the Bitmaps days were the 16bit era, and they were the best bar none.

Emulators rule
Old 10 March 2002, 04:33   #31
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I think Chaos Engine in a FPS would suck.... I DOUBT the atmoshphere of it could de redone in 3D, and in the end, it would probably just be another FPS boring game...but yeah, I would love to see a new Chaos Engine game I think it's the best Bitmap Brothers game ever
Old 10 March 2002, 08:51   #32
Drake1009

A new chaos engine game would be great. But not FPS. FPS would ruin it I'm afraid. Maybe isometric 3D would do it but I don't think so.
Old 10 March 2002, 16:02   #33
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Of course its each to their own, but Id love a FPS Chaos Engine.
True maybe it would lose some of the atmosphere of the original, but how could it possibly match up to that classic?
Im simply thinkin of how a modern version could be done, and for me a FPS would be ace. I dont think your imaging it the same way I am. As for an isometric 3D version, I dont think your average gamer would go for it these days, (and its sales that count) but if it was a new CE game, Id buy it no matter what.
Old 10 March 2002, 16:41   #34
Drake1009

Sure I'd buy it too, but you'd need something special to make it to be a hit. Look at Half life, that had a great story and atmosphere which made it stand out. Battle zone combined RTS and FPS to make it stand out. Dai katana did everything which was done before (partially because it was original when they started but very outdated when they finished) and it's probably going to go down in history as one of the most failed FPS games ever. Deus ex is also a good example of a game which stands out. Face it, to have it be a hit FPS game it'll need something special, and I doubt the image would be enough. There'd need to be some serious changes, changes which would change it from Chaos engine to something else.
Old 10 March 2002, 16:56   #35
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Dastardly
Emulators rule
Autsch, AAAAHRG, NO NO and NO Only the REAL THING rulez !!!!!!!
Old 10 March 2002, 21:54   #36
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Gawd, what is this obsession with everything being FPS? There's a great game and the notion always has to come up "then it should be made into an FPS game". Don't people ever tire of that same silly interface? It's like draping every human being in the same clothes.

Same thing with 3D. The PC mentality is that in order for a game to be good (or popular...ie, sales being the most important aspect of a game) then it has to be 3D, FPS or both.

/me reaches for barf bag
Old 10 March 2002, 22:25   #37
oldpx

There is difference between a first person shooter game and a game with a first person view, eye of the beholder for example, has a first person view and it works that way, because it's a roleplaying game and the use of first person view helps to create a dramatical effect but chaos engine would just be something else if it was done in 3d, anyway that's only my opinion.

Old 11 March 2002, 01:24   #38
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

To Twistin'Ghost

You know the FPS thing was ONLY an idea.

Relax, youll live longer.
Old 11 March 2002, 06:57   #39
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

@Dastardly
It wasn't so much your idea that I was making reference to. It was the fact that so many people nowadays instantly reach for that same mindset: "Hey...great game. Let's make it 3D. Let's make it FPS."

That's all. I didn't mean so much for it to come off as bashing you. It just triggered what had been buildling up anyhow.
Old 11 March 2002, 18:07   #40
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Of course people want games 3D these days. I love the old games too but I also love the new 3D games. Maybe older gamers in the Amiga days were saying "pah why does everything have to be in more than 2 colours, why cant they leave PONG alone the way it was" In the future they may be saying the same thing about the games of today when people want VR updates of QUAKE.
A FPS CE for me would be great, if done right, and if it was crap, then theres always emulators to go back to the classic original.
Im greedy, I want both.