English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 26 June 2003, 23:33   #1
Parsec
Registered User
Parsec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Lancashire
Age: 44
Posts: 431
Wrexham Computer Club (N. Wales,UK)

Just thought I would ask to see if anyone out there went to the Wrexham Computer Club meetings on Thursday nights.

It was a great place to go, massive rooms with huge tables, and lots of 4-way mains adapters. All a Commodore user needed

The highlight of my time there (apart from grabbing a lot of great Amiga games) was when one of the BBC/Archimedes guys (yes, sad) got a visit from a female police officer. She looked at his screen, grabbed him, said "Excuse me, I think that's called software piracy" and marched him out of the room.:hoo

Except half way out, she stopped, turned around, whipped off her clothes and made him pull a rose out of her cleavage with his teeth!

A great strippogram set-up, no-one saw it coming
Parsec is offline  
Old 28 June 2003, 03:04   #2
ElectroBlaster
Junior Member
ElectroBlaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Exeter, Devon, UK
Age: 45
Posts: 1,488
Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Man i wish i was there to see that moment
ElectroBlaster is offline  
Old 28 June 2003, 03:37   #3
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 19,265
BWahahaha!! That's one helluva story
Akira is offline  
Old 05 September 2005, 21:43   #4
Parsec
Registered User
Parsec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Lancashire
Age: 44
Posts: 431
Sorry to be a pain but I thought I'd bump this thread and see if anyone went to this computer club back in the late 80's/early 90's?

I've seen one or two people's locations as Chester so thought it might be worth asking again?
Parsec is offline  
Old 05 September 2005, 23:23   #5
FromWithin
Music lord

FromWithin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Liverpool, UK
Age: 45
Posts: 619
I used to go to St. Laurence's Parish Centre in Birkenhead. Can't remember what day it was. Sundays? I'd heard about Wrexham, but it was a bit far.
FromWithin is offline  
Old 22 September 2005, 22:56   #6
CHook/OTT
Super Hang-On King
CHook/OTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Manchester
Age: 43
Posts: 364
Did anyone go to any in the North West?

Oldham (Boundary Park & Lancaster Club) Middleton & Bolton?
CHook/OTT is offline  
Old 23 September 2005, 01:12   #7
FromWithin
Music lord

FromWithin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Liverpool, UK
Age: 45
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHook/OTT
Did anyone go to any in the North West?
Since when was Birkenhead not in the North West?
FromWithin is offline  
Old 23 September 2005, 01:28   #8
CHook/OTT
Super Hang-On King
CHook/OTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Manchester
Age: 43
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromWithin
Since when was Birkenhead not in the North West?
I'll give ya that one as i'd only clocked Wrexham

I should have been a bit more specific really shouldn't i North West (Manchester)
CHook/OTT is offline  
Old 05 November 2011, 18:15   #9
kinmel
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Just thought I would ask to see if anyone out there went to the Wrexham Computer Club meetings on Thursday nights.

It was a great place to go, massive rooms with huge tables, and lots of 4-way mains adapters. All a Commodore user needed
I know this thread goes back a long way, but I found it on Google.

Wrexham & District Computer Club was started by myself and Mike Haughton in 1982. The club met at the Memorial Hall and the intention was to have a room where a small number of people could master the still new art of computing and so for the first night we booked a small side room and set up 3 tables. That first night over 120 people turned up and we took over the whole building.
In those days computers connected to the home TV and so it was not practical to take your computer out with you. To overcome this obstacle, we paid £2 each for a couple of dozen ex-rental TV sets which we set out on long tables. The ten 13amp wall sockets around the halls had chains of sockets linked to them to run everything, somehow we never had power cuts.
The entrance fees to the club created a big enough cash pot to buy all the latest gadgets - printers, x-y plotters and more and more TVs. People brought along just about every computer available at the time and it was all great fun.
In 1985 both Mike and I moved out of the area and lost contact with the club, so I have no idea about when it closed down.

I still have some blank membership cards




I am pleased that you enjoyed the Club while it operated, I know we did.
 
Old 07 November 2011, 15:19   #10
Parsec
Registered User
Parsec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Lancashire
Age: 44
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinmel View Post
I know this thread goes back a long way, but I found it on Google.

...

I am pleased that you enjoyed the Club while it operated, I know we did.
Hi and thanks for all the info. I don't think we would have met because I only started going there in 1987 until about 1991, then moved out of the area.

I didn't realise all the history, sounds like it was a good club. When I went it was always a case of lugging a telly along. Much of the large room was C64 owners and subsequently Amiga owners, and we did mainly do games. I do remember another smaller room with Beeb's and Archimedes, guess this was more like the original club.
Parsec is offline  
Old 08 November 2011, 16:57   #11
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits
cosmicfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: leek, Staffs, UK
Age: 51
Posts: 3,555
Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
cool, still have no idea what the computer club was called we all went to with our amigas
just got called the computer club, ahhh happy dayz
cosmicfrog is offline  
Old 09 November 2011, 23:59   #12
tin
eezeenow!

 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: chester
Posts: 410
Same for me, used to go to one in Ellesmere port that was just called computer club (I think). It was just full of Amigas running Xcopy BOOOINGG!
tin is offline  
Old 26 September 2012, 08:00   #13
73IGH
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Sorry to be a pain but I thought I'd bump this thread and see if anyone went to this computer club back in the late 80's/early 90's?

I've seen one or two people's locations as Chester so thought it might be worth asking again?
Came across this thread by searching for "Wrexham computer club" on google.

Man they were the good old days, went there from '85 to '91 (ish) with my mate from the JCS (scene group).
Used to take my C64 in the early days to wow people with the newest demos lol
Then obviously took my Amiga in late 80's early 90's.
Still got all my favorite demos from C64 + Amiga but now run them through emulators, always bring a smile !!

You remember the size of the hall for C64 + Amiga was massive and the room for PC users was tiny lol, how things have changed.
I remember the strip-o-gram also, that was ace, it was one of the BBC guys who showed me basic music making, a scottish guy i'm sure.

Last edited by 73IGH; 26 September 2012 at 08:25.
 
Old 26 September 2012, 15:19   #14
S0ulA55a551n
Registered User
S0ulA55a551n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rhondda, Wales
Age: 42
Posts: 530
Bahhh who would want to go to a north wales computer club
S0ulA55a551n is offline  
Old 26 September 2012, 18:37   #15
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

FOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Barry / UK
Age: 41
Posts: 5,713
Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
Bahhh who would want to go to a north wales computer club
lol, what about a South Wales Computer Club, .
FOL is offline  
Old 26 September 2012, 22:13   #16
Parsec
Registered User
Parsec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Lancashire
Age: 44
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73IGH View Post
Came across this thread by searching for "Wrexham computer club" on google.

Man they were the good old days, went there from '85 to '91 (ish) with my mate from the JCS (scene group).
Used to take my C64 in the early days to wow people with the newest demos lol
Then obviously took my Amiga in late 80's early 90's.
Still got all my favorite demos from C64 + Amiga but now run them through emulators, always bring a smile !!

You remember the size of the hall for C64 + Amiga was massive and the room for PC users was tiny lol, how things have changed.
I remember the strip-o-gram also, that was ace, it was one of the BBC guys who showed me basic music making, a scottish guy i'm sure.
JCS - Johnstown Cracking Service!

Well we were definitely in the same room at the same time, maybe we knew each other I'm not sure!

The Scottish guy - was it a youngish lad with longish curly hair? I think I remember him
Parsec is offline  
Old 27 September 2012, 00:40   #17
73IGH
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
JCS - Johnstown Cracking Service!

Well we were definitely in the same room at the same time, maybe we knew each other I'm not sure!

The Scottish guy - was it a youngish lad with longish curly hair? I think I remember him
He definatly had curly hair thats for sure.

lol a lot of people thought that JCS was "Johnstown", it was actually "Jellybean"

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/group/?id=2556

I was a mate of Mr.Wig, havent seen him since those days, he was from Gwersylt.

Haven't really grown out of it all, i'm still in touch with the scene and have a huge collection of PC demos now, love it !!!
 
Old 10 January 2013, 18:43   #18
Void_Sun
 
Posts: n/a
It was originaly Johnstown Cracking Service (due to two of the original three founders being based in Johnstown) but was renamed fairly quickly to Jellybean after the first few demos as more members joined from different areas.

If you want to know why I'm so sure, it's because I wrote the code for the first few demos.

I had great fun ripping the Sanxion music and loader screen for the first demo.

Commodore 64 demos here -> http://csdb.dk/group/?id=2556
Amiga demos here => http://kestra.exotica.org.uk/demos.p...oup&strict=yes

I have them all running on emulators on my Nexus 7

Last edited by prowler; 10 January 2013 at 21:55. Reason: Fixed link.
 
Old 10 January 2013, 21:24   #19
sneeker
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Manchester!
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHook/OTT View Post
Did anyone go to any in the North West?

Oldham (Boundary Park & Lancaster Club) Middleton & Bolton?

I used to go, Lancaster Club, Middleton Junction, and the splinter one by lee over at shaw working mens club, I was a pc owner by then so went to basically play doom and quake.

Only problem was I couldnt drive then, so Dad used to take me sporadically.
sneeker is offline  
Old 17 January 2013, 22:04   #20
73IGH
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Void_Sun View Post
It was originaly Johnstown Cracking Service (due to two of the original three founders being based in Johnstown) but was renamed fairly quickly to Jellybean after the first few demos as more members joined from different areas.

If you want to know why I'm so sure, it's because I wrote the code for the first few demos.

I had great fun ripping the Sanxion music and loader screen for the first demo.

Commodore 64 demos here -> http://csdb.dk/group/?id=2556
Amiga demos here => http://kestra.exotica.org.uk/demos.p...oup&strict=yes

I have them all running on emulators on my Nexus 7
You still in touch with any members? would be great to know what they up to now !!
I got to know them around the time of their "hang on demo" as i was shown Sprogs gfx before they released it.
 
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
South Wales... Heavyweight7t6 MarketPlace 1 07 August 2011 19:05
Club & Country Jimbo Games images which need to be WHDified 2 20 October 2010 17:18
Lingo Huissense Computer Club 1989 NxBx request.Old Rare Games 2 27 February 2006 18:22
I've joined the club! dreamkatcha Amiga scene 11 29 April 2002 17:58
Software of the Month Club jmmijo Nostalgia & memories 4 22 January 2002 10:19

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.09035 seconds with 13 queries