English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 17 July 2019, 21:31   #861
gazj82

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
If you're a Linux person romtool from AmiTools can also be used in place of remus. I like this as I can build the ROM outside AmigaOS.

https://github.com/cnvogelg/amitools

Thanks, this is a great tool and much easier than using remus on the amiga.
Old 18 July 2019, 20:51   #862
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazj82 View Post
Thanks, this is a great tool and much easier than using remus on the amiga.
Christian is a nice guy too. I asked him about supporting Blizkick modules and he implemented it a couple of days later!
Old 21 July 2019, 04:10   #863
systmcrsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Update3.1.4.1.readme
18. Type "version DH0:" (assuming that your boot drive is DH0:).
i followed all of the instructions for updating the filesystem a few times, but version dh0: still returns 46.13

can anyone confirm that this actually worked for them?

also, version l:fastfilesystem returns 46.20 as expected
Old 21 July 2019, 07:28   #864
DanyPPC

Here works with the usual procedure via HDToolBox
Old 21 July 2019, 10:29   #865
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by systmcrsh View Post
i followed all of the instructions for updating the filesystem a few times, but version dh0: still returns 46.13
The file system in the RDB must fit the file system used by the partitions. If you have a long file name partition (aka DOS\7) you also need to put a fllesystem of exactly that type into the RDB (namely, DOS\7 in this example).
Old 22 July 2019, 21:38   #866
AC/DC HACKER!

Hello all,

My complements again to the coders involved. I saw in another post that there's an update to OS 3.1.4. Logged in, downloaded. Made a copy of my OS 3.5 updated to 3.1.4, then applied new update...all went smooth. Reset to activate it.

My first check was to drag a menu I have off screen to check changes. Nothing really noticeable different. Ok, cool. Then I loaded SysInfo 4 and as my Picasso 4 switched to naive...I then saw a funky pattern on screen. Haha, using Amiga+N switched back to Picasso 4 Picass96 16-bit Desktop. Then switched back. "Uh-oh.." Haha. I clicked around but couldn't "find" the exit button. So I switched back to Workbench. Then loaded Excellent Cards 2, I think...the one with "Frustration" ("Kings Corners")..and that screen was funky also.

So, changed Picass96 prefs to enable Fake Modes. Reset Amiga. Loaded SysInfo 4 again, and now it displays but like it's on a Picasso96 640x480 screen, but on the upper half--not full. But I can see all the buttons...and info. Exited program, and ran the game. Success! At least visually, but just as SysInfo 4 it's only using most of the upper part of the screen..and I'm able to click the options but if I play, then it's wonky..cannot drag a card or perhaps it is..but the interaction is trashed. Can't drop to release and exit game.

I also checked this with WinUAE 4.2.1 PB 5. Same thing. So I flipped Amiga screens, disabled intuition library (renamed with a "!" at the end), disabled "Fake Modes" and did a hard reboot. Once rebooted, it came back..and cannot drag anything off-screen but aboive are displaying as should. So, I went back to the 3.1.4 intuition.lib and as a work-around for now, that's doing okay so far. All screens are looking as they "should" or did before. Even Uropa 2 is displaying correctly again also, using the provided update found online. Otherwise even OS 3.1.4's intuition.lib causing a problem with it.

I'm going to check DiskDoctor more soon, as that's another I was really excited about. But so far, from a quick "check" it looks good.

I am very pleased with the progress. If I'm able to help let me know..and I'll refuse you. Haha, totally joking. Would you like screen shots of good vs "Wuzzat??".
Old 22 July 2019, 22:50   #867
Fook42

Hello ACDC..
i noticed a similar behaviour using my Cybervision64/3D with Picasso96 2.1-Drivers.
native Screens (like SysInfo) are displayed as solid-colour ones (red, pink...) with grey border.
even the workbench will be displayed in this way, if i switch to PAL Highres -Mode.

I could solve it by removing the Picasso-Monitor-Drivers from DEVS:Monitors ... but that will - of course - result in no GFX-screens at all.

In the "a1k"-forum i received the suggestion to upgrade Picasso96-Software to 2.2 or whatever is newest. ..

Last edited by Fook42; 22 July 2019 at 22:51. Reason: typo
Old 23 July 2019, 00:20   #868
AC/DC HACKER!

Hello Fook42,

Yep, moving the Monitor to outside Devs: is a work around I used to do long ago...and still do when troubleshooting. I was so focused on the other I forgot to include I had done that to confirm Intuition.library. You're right, I would not settle for that solution. Smiling.

I tried a newer update a while ago but that was before OS 3.1.4 was released. I'll have a look for a newer Picasso96. Maybe a changlog that has details other than merely revision numbers?

Picasso96 2.1/2 has CVision support?? That's worth a check. CyberGraphiX (V4) is nice, but I prefer Picasso96. Also, the tests above were done with 2.0 and 2.1e.

Last edited by AC/DC HACKER!; 23 July 2019 at 02:30.
Old 23 July 2019, 01:58   #869
gulliver
BoingBagged

Picasso96 is currently at version 2.4, and it is being continually updated.

What follows is the changelog from the last official Aminet version 2.0a:

Changes in 2.2:
- P96 bought by iComp, new owner, new rules: The development headers and
includes become public.
- The fastlayers.library is obsolete. The distribution no longer includes it,
and the rtg.library no longer uses it. A v45 version of layers is available in
the aminet which provides similar functions, though not on the basis of a
patch. Otherwise, P96 works also on top of the V40 layers.library.
- rtg.library: Apparently, some line drawing modes were a bit off, especially
in combination with the firstDot flag. This may still require some testing,
though.
- rtg.library: Blitting small bitmaps in 16-bit hi-color mode could have
trashed memory.
- rtg.library: Some min-terms for 15 and 16-bit hi-color when blitting
chunky to hi-color modes trashed registers and hence caused rendering defects.
- Fixed testing of occluded layers for PIP functions, adapted to the new
V45 layers interface.
- test for native bitmaps: the rtg.library now uses consistently TypeOfMem()
to test whether a bitmap can be accessed by the native chipset or requires
CPU emulation.
- Added a new internal hook, EnableSoftSprite(boardinfo,formatflags,modeinfo)
which allows a more flexible switching of softsprites than the simple
SoftSpriteFlags available before. Especially the Cirrus GD534 has strange
rules when the hardware cursor is available and when not.
- Some combinations of mask and line mode did not honor the FRST_DOT flag
of the graphics rastport correctly. Fixed.
- JAM2 in HICOLOR mode rendered incorrect results when drawing lines.
- Some blit combinations with patterns did not honor the minterm combinations
correctly, especially combinations of JAM1/JAM2 and INVERSVID were
problematic.
- Cirrus GD5434 (PiccoloSD64 and others):
- double line mode was broken
(there is probably still a similar bug in the GD542x)
- softsprite enabling is now more flexible
- avoids color artifacts at the right border in true-color autoscroll
modes
- Due to a forgotten flag in the driver initialization, the pointer
hot-spot was off if the BIGSPRITE option was used and the mode used
line doubling.
- probably many other minor problems...
- Cirrus GD542x (GVP Spectrum and Picasso II)
- removed artifacts on true-color screens with autoscroll enabled.
- there is potentially still a bug in the double-line scan modes.
- Develoment files both for application developers and card developers are
now available. While the previous development files were based on the GD432x
chip and the PicassoII board, both chip and card do not demonstrate the full
feature set of P96 ideally. Instead, the GD5434 and PiccolloSD64 chip and
card are now included. The GD5434 supports double-line scan modes, and requires
a complicated-mode dependent soft-sprite switching that is only supported
by the latest version of the rtg.library.
- Previous versions of P96Mode and the emulation.library required a private link
library, namely the xls.lib. As this library is no longer available, the
missing functions have been re-implemented.
- The P96 monitor driver became a lot shorter now.
- The install tool FindCVPPC caused hits on some systems. The tool was rewritten
to avoid them now.
- Note that you can bypass the Amiga blitter now and use the CPU for blitting,
thus allowing bitmaps in FAST MEM. This requires setting the following
variable:
ENVARC:Picasso96/DisableAmigaBlitter
should contain the value "Yes" for this operation.

Changes in 2.3:
- a MonitorInfoHook allows now an external program to retrieve events whenever
(a possibly available) monitor switch on the graphics card(s) enables or
disables the pass-through of native graphics.

Changes in 2.4:
- This release modifies the handling of RTG bitmap allocation. While the previous
release allocated displayable non-visible graphics always off-board to avoid
a conflict when swapping the memory back in later when becoming visible, the
new logic now explicitly checks whether the user actually provided visibility
information and also puts bitmaps on board for which the user did not say whether
they should become visible or not. This still avoids the former race, but it is
safer for programs that (erraneously) assume that graphics card bitmaps always
stay on the board.
Old 23 July 2019, 20:12   #870
AC/DC HACKER!

Update: I bought the new P96, and the games ARE working with the OS 3.1.4.1 intuition, yay! With my Picasso 4. My CVisionsPPC wasn't in the list of Monitor choices from Installer. So, I only installed Picasso 4 Monitor. After that I used the ShowBoards from Debug. It only listed my PIV. Hmm! Especially since I have my Picasso 4 connected to an older monitor and my CVisionPPC is connect to a newer monitor and it displaying...and works with CyberGraphX 4. So, I chalk it to the ongoing development. I'm sure this will be resolved soon.

But for now, if I have CVisionPPC in DEVS:Monitors or somewhere and start it outside Startup-Sequence it crashes my A4000. I'm still going through settings to see if it's something on or off.

Last edited by AC/DC HACKER!; 23 July 2019 at 23:07. Reason: Removed an "Oops!" in info.
Old 23 July 2019, 21:03   #871
ItsTheSmell

Im trying to update 3,1,4 with the latest update from Hyperion but I need a serial code, where can I find this code? I bought the OS from Amigastore.eu.
Old 23 July 2019, 21:24   #872
Fook42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
Update: I bought the new P96, and the games ARE working with the OS 3.1.4.1 intuition, yay!...

good news.. thanks for trying that

i didnt know that CVisionPPC is not supported at the moment - but i think the guys will improve...
but once it works, i guess you are not in need of your Picasso4 anymore, are you? ;-) ... just let me know
Old 23 July 2019, 21:31   #873
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Picasso96 is currently at version 2.4, and it is being continually updated..
Actually, by this time, we are at 2.4.2 already:

Changes in 2.4.1: - The Cirrusgd542x chip driver now also switches the hardware sprite dynamically, and supports double-scan output for modes that are higher than 512 lines. This chip is mostly used in the GVP Spectrum and the Picasso II, thus users of such boards may update the chip driver. The rtg.library and other components of Picasso96 remain unchanged for this release.

Changes in 2.4.2: - Flickerfixer support for the P-IV card did not properly restore an RTG screen from a custom native View loaded by LoadView() before. Thus, P-IV users ended up with a black screen in this situation.

There is something like a 2.4.2.1 on my system, but this fixes only some minor glitches of the installation procedure, so you miss nothing with the 2.4.2 right now.
Old 23 July 2019, 21:33   #874
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fook42 View Post
i didnt know that CVisionPPC is not supported at the moment - but i think the guys will improve...
but once it works, i guess you are not in need of your Picasso4 anymore, are you? ;-) ... just let me know

Well, we do have an alpha version of the CVisionPPC driver, but currently development for it is stalling because I don't have a CVisionPPC, and neither a fitting machine to install it into. Thus, if anyone is willing to donate a CVisionPPC with a corresponding machine (probably for a couple of weeks), this driver may get completed. At this time, it is not in production quality and not available for release.
Old 23 July 2019, 23:13   #875
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fook42 View Post
good news.. thanks for trying that

Mwwwwaaaaahhahahahahaha!! NO one is getting my Picasso 4! Honestly, the Picasso 4 has support for AmigaOS that CVisionPPC does a bit differently and I'm really glad to have the CVisionPPC in combination. But I might move my CVisionPPC to my other A4000..

However, if I do sell it...(I don't see that happening any time soon) I'll keep you in mind. Really. Just don't go purple, okay? Haha!

Oh, I'm sure they'll get it functioning. I was a little "Aww'ed" when it crashed, but looking at the change logs (Yaay, not merely revision numbers) on the site I can see the work in progress.
Old 23 July 2019, 23:19   #876
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Well, we do have an alpha version of the CVisionPPC driver, but currently development for it is stalling because I don't have a CVisionPPC, and neither a fitting machine to install it into. Thus, if anyone is willing to donate a CVisionPPC with a corresponding machine (probably for a couple of weeks), this driver may get completed. At this time, it is not in production quality and not available for release.
Bummer... Haha. I'd be happy to beta test and offer "best I can" bug reports, but since I'm not a programmer anymore (years ago) and I wasn't that deeply into it, I might not be able to help..other than videos and loading, getting text of stuff at times.

Eeek, not really sure I'd want to be without one of my A4000's.. Plus, I don't want to pay for shipping to and from Germany.

The above comment about the Picasso96Settings not being applied was my late night fault.. Corrected the ToolType in the Prefs prrogram and all is good with that. Heeeey, it's nice to be able to modify some settings and NOT have the "lines" in some displays now. That's really awesome.
Old 24 July 2019, 00:04   #877
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Isn't there someone who is active on this forum and lives close enough to you ?
Guys/Girls ? Someone from DE to help Thomas ?
Old 24 July 2019, 06:19   #878
AC/DC HACKER!

I notice another challenge with OS 3.1.4 and perhaps .1..tonight. Images (JPG, JPEG, PNG--also IFFs) either on a 16-Bit Desktop (I also used 24-Bit) or Directory Opus 5 Workbench clone appear dithered even when using WarpDT PNG, JPG, or otherwise. I have been so focused on Games and other programs functioning correctly that I didn't notice it before.

I "switched" to my OS 3.5 PPC install that I've also updated to newest P96 and it looked fine there.

Long story short.. I "went back" to OS 3.1.4.1 checking libs and Datatypes..but every time, Workbench background image and via Directory Opus 5 are all dithered.

How to disable that or is it a bug? I've been through ENVARC, and all Prefs...so far, not a clue. Maybe there are things I don't remember and need a nudge (or a nude..before I noticed and corrected it, hahhaahhaha!)

Last edited by AC/DC HACKER!; 24 July 2019 at 06:34.
Old 24 July 2019, 06:26   #879
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
Maybe there are things I don't remember and need a nude.
A nude woman? Pretty sure most of us need one of those.
Old 24 July 2019, 06:44   #880
AC/DC HACKER!

I have one (well, part time), but you also came in after I modified it. Haha!