English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 15 October 2023, 05:28   #1
Mafi

IDCMP messages with WA_BusyPointer

Hi again!

I use SetAttrsA with WA_BusyPointer to block input to my Reaction app whilst it's busy recursively scanning a directory. I'd like to be able to abort this scan with the ESC key. Within the scanning loop I periodically send WM_HANDLEINPUT to the blocked window to get any IDCMP messages such as IDCMP_RAWKEY, but somehow the only one I get is some "deactivate window" message, presumably becasue WA_BusyPointer opens a null/invisible requester and is blocking everything. However, my understanding is that IDCMP messages should still flow to the parent window. Am I correct in this understanding?

My window IDCMP flags are: IDCMP_GADGETUP|IDCMP_IDCMPUPDATE|IDCMP_CLOSEWINDOW|IDCMP_RAWKEY

Any hints welcomed!

Cheers,
-M
Old 21 October 2023, 04:47   #2
Mafi

Ok, I solved this. Probably not the ideal way. As the NULL requestor blocks all IDCMP to the parent window, I decided I'd implement an interrupt server and (de)register it with AddIntServer/RemIntServer. It seems to work quite well. Just before the scan I call AddIntServer to register the handler, when my recursive scanning is going on and the handler fires, I check to see if my parent window is the "active" one and if $bf0c01 indicates it's the ESC key. If so, I set a flag that my scanning routine can check to see if it needs to abort and unregister the interrupt server.

-M
Old 21 October 2023, 10:06   #3
Thomas Richter

This does not look like an adequate solution, sorry. The keyboard hardware knows nothing about the input focus, and it knows nothing about requesters and the intuition state machine, and it may not even know the right state of the keyboard if the key events reach the intuition input handler through different ways, e.g. through a USB keyboard.

SetPointer() does not set any requester - it only changes the shape of the mouse pointer, and it does not interact with the event system.
Old 21 October 2023, 15:58   #4
a/b

If you are adding your int handler, I'd avoid reading HW directly ($bfec01).
Maybe try this instead, same idea but more system friendly... Set handler's priority to 51 or higher (intuition is at 50) and then traverse the event list if your window has focus (intbase->ib_ActiveWindow == your_window): check for IECLASS_RAWKEY events and then for e.g. ESC (RAWKEY_ESCAPE) or CTRL-C (IEQUALIFIER_CONTROL + RAWKEY_C).