English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 May 2016, 20:42   #1
trixster
Guru Meditating

Happy Where is the Vampire1200 preorder thread?!

Given the amazing success of the vampire 600 v2 I'm ready to put my money where my mouth is a shove some cash towards majsta and his fpga wonder team. Where's the preorder thread? Take my money now!
Old 18 May 2016, 21:09   #2
supaduper

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Given the amazing success of the vampire 600 v2 I'm ready to put my money where my mouth is a shove some cash towards majsta and his fpga wonder team. Where's the preorder thread? Take my money now!
Email Brian here :http://www.kipper2k.com/accel600.html

This is for the A600 Vampire
Old 18 May 2016, 21:12   #3
spudje

Pre-orders for the A500 vampire haven't even started yet as far as I know, so A1200 is even further off....
Old 18 May 2016, 21:20   #4
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Stand-alone board ATX please so I can pack away my A1200 and people stop saying whats that!

Can you still get the A600 version?
Old 18 May 2016, 21:46   #5
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
Pre-orders for the A500 vampire haven't even started yet as far as I know, so A1200 is even further off....
In my humble opinion the A500 is a machine that should remain stock, no alterations, no molestations. It's the Amiga that the 80s gave to the masses and should stay as it was, timeless. The A1200 is the machine that should be modded, hacked, abused and turbo'd. So in that sense I couldn't be less interested in the vampire500!

Last edited by trixster; 18 May 2016 at 21:51.
Old 18 May 2016, 23:30   #6
kipper2k

Quote:
In my humble opinion the A500 is a machine that should remain stock, no alterations, no molestations. It's the Amiga that the 80s gave to the masses and should stay as it was, timeless. The A1200 is the machine that should be modded, hacked, abused and turbo'd. So in that sense I couldn't be less interested in the vampire500!
I agree, partially.... The a500 should stay stock and it should also have the option to deliver the same capabilities as an tricked out a1200. I still like loading from a floppy drive, it has the old days feel which brings back memories of my younger days, but.. i also want more. With PAL and NTSC there were huge divides with games that could and could not be played on one side of the pond or the other. WHDload has done great things to narrow that divide and now everyone can have the benefit of seeing all these classics on all of their amigas without the need to spend outrageous amounts of your cash for vga/hdmi video adapters.

So much to add, but i digress for the time being

p.s. The V500 will be showcased soon, the v1200 hopefully before end of year. Lots of little extras too so don't go spending your money yet

Last edited by kipper2k; 18 May 2016 at 23:43.
Old 19 May 2016, 00:44   #7
-Acid-

To me it's obvious the A1200 should have been the first Amiga model out of all of them to get this accelerator. It's the most common model that would really benefit from it and as most people buy an A1200 to upgrade it in some way. The majority of A500 & A600 buyers leave those machines configured as they were sold just to play games from floppy disks (or a gotek). The A1200 has a lot more games that could use the power for a start, then there's all the productivity and internet tools that would put the extra speed to very good use. Seeing the A600 run Doom and play mp3's is a nice novelty but the A1200 could combine it with Mediator setups and graphics cards to really make a huge difference to using the machine everyday. How many people switch on an A500 or A600 to do anything in workbench compared to AGA Amiga's? barely any I would think in comparison.
Old 19 May 2016, 21:30   #8
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

trixter, -Acide- and Kipps,

... but what better way to show of the capabilities of the adaptor upon a system with perhaps the most limited of systems
Old 19 May 2016, 21:47   #9
Turran

While its a personal choice all together, I'd rather have seen the A1200 version out before A500 as well since that's the one I'm waiting for also.

Never liked the A600 to begin with =)
Old 20 May 2016, 09:37   #10
Dunny

Have to say, I'm only interested in the A1200 accelerator and am very puzzled that anyone even still uses an A600, let alone wants to accelerate one. And then going from A600 to A500... Well, that's incomprehensible too, but anyway.

Still waiting.
Old 20 May 2016, 11:24   #11
roomeo

Sourcing the edge connectors for the a1200 version has been a showstopper for this version as i understand.

When having a vampire in your machine. Does it matter if its an a600 or a1200, the machine is merely a keyboard adapter. If you dont care about the original chipset that is.
If they pull off doing emulation of the aga chipset as well, it certainly wont matter.

I am waiting for the big box version, but if this provides functionality that makes all my zorro cards unnecessary and emulates aga in fpga. I really dont see the point. A standalone makes more sense.

Anyways.. exiting times!
Old 20 May 2016, 12:26   #12
flype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Have to say, I'm only interested in the A1200 accelerator and am very puzzled that anyone even still uses an A600, let alone wants to accelerate one. And then going from A600 to A500... Well, that's incomprehensible too, but anyway.

Still waiting.
I would say there is some historic reasons. First proof of concept was born on Amiga 600 because of easy availability and low cost of this machine. Direct plug on CPU was also easier solution at that time. All team add one. Then core was improved, still on this machine for the current V600 V2. Early testers and members yet had this machine for the V1 and they helped a lot to improve core. Now for V500 before V1200, there is/was the 'A1200 Connectors' availability and funds. These are some of the reasons. Also, A500 is very popular on eastern countries, much than western Europe. Also, team always kept in mind that when doing V1200, this one will be more mature and things have to be ready (stable core, fully working chunky modes, drivers developed, mastering production process and such). Last point but not least, i am also a 1200 user and i was hard to convince to buy a 600 but once done, honestly, this is not big deal to use A600 with such a fast and amazing core, in the meantime.
Old 20 May 2016, 12:36   #13
flype

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomeo View Post
Sourcing the edge connectors for the a1200 version has been a showstopper for this version as i understand.
True.

Quote:
When having a vampire in your machine. Does it matter if its an a600 or a1200, the machine is merely a keyboard adapter. If you dont care about the original chipset that is.
Right now, the SAGA core is a fast Chunky / GfxBoard + SD Interface + Some others features ; but it does NOT takeover your ECS Chipset, it will but not Yet. The Amiga have still many genuine stuff that are used : ECS, PCMCIA, IDE, Floppy, Serial, Parallel, Mouse/Joystick, Keyboard, CHIPRam Expansion + Clock, eventually A60x for Clockport. This is TRUE Classics ! Vampire act as a CPU board, A FastRAM expansion, and GfxBoard addon and not as a overall Classic replacement.

Quote:
If they pull off doing emulation of the aga chipset as well, it certainly wont matter.
Yes, things are quite different then.

Quote:
Exciting times
Yeah, sure it is
Old 20 May 2016, 19:11   #14
Mr.Flibble

Quote:
Not a showstopper - just annoying and expensive.
Old 23 May 2016, 10:20   #15
jarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
And then going from A600 to A500... Well, that's incomprehensible too, but anyway.
Well at any given point of time I can buy 3...10 Amiga 500 from my home country. At any given point of time I can buy 0 Amiga 1200 from my home country. Trust me, I've looked for one for half an year.

Today seems to be exception, there's actually one Amiga 1200 available. For the asking price I can buy 8 Amiga 500's :-) eBay is of course an option, but there's no denying, market for Amiga 500 stuff is exponentially bigger.

I recently bought Amiga 600 since it has IDE and Amiga 1200's were not available - price was good since nobody want's Amiga 600 for some reason. As an added bonus I can put Vampire 600 into it if I ever get one, now I am using Furia.
Old 23 May 2016, 17:29   #16
turrican9

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. ACA 500 is fine though as it just plugs into the sideslot and can easily be removed. But I found that loading real floppies on a basic Amiga 500 gives me the best experience. Amiga 500 has more "soul" for me than any other Amiga. This is why I have five Amiga 500s.
Old 23 May 2016, 17:59   #17
kipper2k

the V500 Dev boards on the way to me are somewhere in the USA lost by Fedex for over a week now. The team do not have any boards to test yet due to this so we all wait impatiently and give Fedex death threats daily. In order to make an announcement for the V500 vampire we need to make sure all the blatant hiccups are solved first, a timeframe for this can only be assessed as "soon", (2 months maybe?). A preorder for the V500 will only happen once the V500 is either very close to release or when a first batch is complete.

The V1200 is in the final design phase now, once the final specs are verified and tested then Majsta will release the info. Release date for the V1200 is still expected to be prior to Xmas 2016

mabbe i can get to the world of Commodore meeting in Toronto Canada on 3rd Dec this year
take the wife and tell her i taking her on a dirty weekend

Last edited by kipper2k; 23 May 2016 at 18:28.
Old 23 May 2016, 18:47   #18
Mr.Flibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
take the wife and tell her i taking her on a dirty weekend
Well, the dust of ancient computers is kinda mucky