English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 26 January 2009, 23:16   #1
NovaCoder

Changing the colour of the Workbench background

In my quest to get a nice background picture without using up all my chip-ram I've discovered that the best thing to do is to center a lower-res image. As the image I want to use has a white edge I would like to change the workbench fill colour from the default grey to white.

I've tried VisualPrefs but that seems unable to change the colour of the workbench background (only other windows).

I'm running OS 3.9

Any ideas peoples
Old 26 January 2009, 23:40   #2
Amiga1992

Just change the palette.
Use the Palette preference program and change the BG!
Old 27 January 2009, 00:37   #3
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Just change the palette.
Use the Palette preference program and change the BG!
Cool, I knew their had to be a easy way

So can you just change the palette for the workbench background or will it change the all window backgrounds to white?

Last edited by NovaCoder; 27 January 2009 at 00:49.
Old 27 January 2009, 00:54   #4
Amiga1992

Depends on teh color depth of your Workbench setup.
If the background is the only hing having hat color, you can get away with it.

Option 2:
Use a 2x2 pixels black image and tile it.

Option 3:
Use WBPattern
Old 27 January 2009, 02:16   #5
NovaCoder

Quote:
Depends on teh color depth of your Workbench setup.
If the background is the only hing having hat color, you can get away with it.

Option 2:
Use a 2x2 pixels black image and tile it.

Option 3:
Use WBPattern
Options 2,3 are no good because I want to center an image. I did some research and found that if you stretch a low res image up to fill the screen it uses the same amount of chipram as a high res image. The only 2 options to conserve chipram is to either center a lower res image or tile a lower res image. Also, it doesn't matter what colour depth the image is, only the colour depth of WB makes a difference.
Old 27 January 2009, 02:29   #6
Amiga1992

I mean, what colour depth you have in workbench.
If you have a lot of colours, as I said, you changing the palette will probably affect only the background!
Old 27 January 2009, 02:56   #7
NovaCoder

Quote:
I mean, what colour depth you have in workbench.
If you have a lot of colours, as I said, you changing the palette will probably affect only the background!
I'm running at 64 colours (highGFX 1024x768) but I might be able to bump that up to 128 colors after I get BlizzKick working.
Old 27 January 2009, 04:18   #8
Amiga1992

64 colours should be fine
try it out! What are you doing, standing there, watching this screen? ;D
Old 27 January 2009, 04:34   #9
NovaCoder

Quote:
64 colours should be fine
try it out! What are you doing, standing there, watching this screen? ;D
Yeah I wish, no I'm stuck at work
Old 27 January 2009, 17:20   #10
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
If you're going to run Workbench in AGA you really should work out a good universal fixed palette and lock it in with FullPalette, then use VisualPrefs to make all your window borders and everything look alright.

Install ImageStudio, (it's on an old CUCD or on Aminet). Save an IFF/ILBM image with your new palette.
Open ImageStudio and load the image with your Workbench's palette. Save the palette (call it Workbench64.col or something I guess), then load the 1024x768 image you want to use as your Wallpaper image.
Load a palette. Select your Workbench palette, and choose Floyd-Steinberg dithering, click OK, and save the image as an IFF/ILBM file.

You should now be able to load it in Workbench Pattern prefs. If you're using FBlit (which I highly recommend for your setup) it won't use any extra Chip RAM to display a pattern in the background or in Workbench windows.

I'm running my Workbench in 16 colours at 1024x768 with the Indivision and I've got some really nice results from just this low colour depth using this method.

Good luck!
Old 27 January 2009, 18:33   #11
Amiga1992

Yeah, that too, use FBlit, so images are loaded to Fast RAM, like icons, backgrounds, etc.
Old 27 January 2009, 23:07   #12
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel-CD32 View Post
If you're going to run Workbench in AGA you really should work out a good universal fixed palette and lock it in with FullPalette, then use VisualPrefs to make all your window borders and everything look alright.

Install ImageStudio, (it's on an old CUCD or on Aminet). Save an IFF/ILBM image with your new palette.
Open ImageStudio and load the image with your Workbench's palette. Save the palette (call it Workbench64.col or something I guess), then load the 1024x768 image you want to use as your Wallpaper image.
Load a palette. Select your Workbench palette, and choose Floyd-Steinberg dithering, click OK, and save the image as an IFF/ILBM file.

You should now be able to load it in Workbench Pattern prefs. If you're using FBlit (which I highly recommend for your setup) it won't use any extra Chip RAM to display a pattern in the background or in Workbench windows.

I'm running my Workbench in 16 colours at 1024x768 with the Indivision and I've got some really nice results from just this low colour depth using this method.

Good luck!
Cheers Rebel,

Yep I noticed last night that everytime I changed the colours in VisualPrefs the palette index would jump around and I'd end up with some weird colour...very anoying. I'll have to install FullPalette as suggested, that should fix it

FBlit doesn't like HighGFX BTW, you should try your setup without it and see what happens to your available chipram.
Old 28 January 2009, 10:05   #13
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

That's strange, I was using HighGFX without FBlit and constantly running out of Chip RAM, but ever since I've been running it it's been smooth sailing, plenty of Chip to spare. You can disable parts of the patch individually so it doesn't clash with other patches. If you want, I can send you a copy of my Startup-Sequence to show the list of patches I'm running on my A1200 (030/50/32MB/Indivision/Subway). I'm running 3.1 though, not 3.9, so there could be various clashes.

Also, if you'd like I can start you off with a good 16 colour palette that you can add to. The colours I've got in it are used by various Workbench applications and games, as well as any custom graphics I make for programs like SabreMSN. The palette includes the standard 8 Magic Workbench colours (used by MUI and many other applications), the standard final four Workbench colours (Red, Green, Blue, Orange) as well as a darker green, darker grey, brown and yellow. If you're going to make and lock a palette, you'll need at least those colours and add several shades of others. You could also just lock those 16 colours and leave the rest of the pens free, then just remap your image to 48 colours or whatever is remaining and Workbench should alcoate free pens to those colours.
Old 28 January 2009, 23:22   #14
NovaCoder

Quote:
That's strange, I was using HighGFX without FBlit and constantly running out of Chip RAM, but ever since I've been running it it's been smooth sailing, plenty of Chip to spare. You can disable parts of the patch individually so it doesn't clash with other patches. If you want, I can send you a copy of my Startup-Sequence to show the list of patches I'm running on my A1200 (030/50/32MB/Indivision/Subway). I'm running 3.1 though, not 3.9, so there could be various clashes.

Also, if you'd like I can start you off with a good 16 colour palette that you can add to. The colours I've got in it are used by various Workbench applications and games, as well as any custom graphics I make for programs like SabreMSN. The palette includes the standard 8 Magic Workbench colours (used by MUI and many other applications), the standard final four Workbench colours (Red, Green, Blue, Orange) as well as a darker green, darker grey, brown and yellow. If you're going to make and lock a palette, you'll need at least those colours and add several shades of others. You could also just lock those 16 colours and leave the rest of the pens free, then just remap your image to 48 colours or whatever is remaining and Workbench should alcoate free pens to those colours.
Cool, thanks I would like to see how you've set yours up. Even if I don't use your actual setup it's all a learning experiance
Old 08 February 2009, 10:18   #15
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Hey man, sorry I took so long to get back to this thread, I forgot to bookmark it. I can't attach files here with IBrowse, so I'm just going to paste my Startup-Sequence here:

PsdLoadModule DEVS:input.device QUIET ;Added by Poseidon-Installer
; $VER: Startup-Sequence_HardDrive 40.2 (25.2.93)
; Startup-Sequence for hard drive systems

C:SetPatch QUIET

C:BBlank

C:Version >NIL:
C:AddBuffers >NIL: DF0: 15
FailAt 21

C:MakeDir RAM:T RAM:Clipboards RAM:ENV RAM:ENV/Sys
C:Copy >NIL: ENVARC: RAM:ENV ALL NOREQ

Resident >NIL: C:Assign PURE
Resident >NIL: C:Execute PURE

Assign >NIL: ENV: RAM:ENV

C:FBlit

C:FText

C:CardReset TICKS 50
C:CardPatch

Assign >NIL: T: RAM:T
Assign >NIL: CLIPS: RAM:Clipboards
Assign >NIL: REXX: S:
Assign >NIL: PRINTERS: DEVS:Printers
Assign >NIL: KEYMAPS: DEVS:Keymaps
Assign >NIL: LOCALE: SYS:Locale
Assign >NIL: LIBS: SYS:Classes ADD
Assign >NIL: HELP: LOCALE:Help DEFER

BindDrivers
C:Mount >NIL: DEVS:DOSDrivers/~(#?.info)

IF EXISTS DEVS:Monitors
IF EXISTS DEVS:Monitors/VGAOnly
DEVS:Monitors/VGAOnly
EndIF

C:List >NIL: DEVS:Monitors/~(#?.info|VGAOnly) TO T:M LFORMAT "DEVS:Monitors/%s"
Execute T:M
C:Delete >NIL: T:M
EndIF

SetEnv Language "english"
SetEnv Workbench $Workbench
SetEnv Kickstart $Kickstart
UnSet Workbench
UnSet Kickstart

C:AddDataTypes REFRESH QUIET

Run > NIL: C:TitleShadow

Run > NIL: "Workbench:Utilities/VisualPrefs"

C:IPrefs

Run > NIL: FPPrefs

Run <>NIL: C:Birdie SYS:Prefs/Birdie/Active SYS:Prefs/Birdie/Inactive ACTIVEPATTERN REDRAWBITMAPS

C:ConClip

Path >NIL: RAM: C: SYS:Utilities SYS:Rexxc SYS:System S: SYS:Prefs SYS:WBStartup SYS:Tools SYS:Tools/Commodities

IF EXISTS S:User-Startup
Execute S:User-Startup
EndIF

Resident Execute REMOVE
Resident Assign REMOVE

C:LoadWB
EndCLI >NIL:

I'm going to upload my 16 colour palette and a few packs of backdrop images, Visual Prefs and Birdie themes for OS3/Indivision users on Aminet over the coming weeks. I'll upload the first pack, which is a bunch of Anime Wallpapers in 1024x768 remapped to my 16 colour palette along with FullPalette and VisualPrefs settings.

If you ever need some quick help with something, come on IRC and we'll try to give you a hand.

Last edited by Rebel-CD32; 08 February 2009 at 10:26.
Old 08 February 2009, 23:26   #16
NovaCoder

Quote:
I'm going to upload my 16 colour palette and a few packs of backdrop images, Visual Prefs and Birdie themes for OS3/Indivision users on Aminet over the coming weeks. I'll upload the first pack, which is a bunch of Anime Wallpapers in 1024x768 remapped to my 16 colour palette along with FullPalette and VisualPrefs settings.

If you ever need some quick help with something, come on IRC and we'll try to give you a hand.
Cool cheers Rebel, I'll give that a go. Uploading some packs to Aminet would be a great idea